Project Browbeater - '79 Honda CB650

facefirst35

Coast to Coast
Hey everyone. So this is my humble bike. I just started riding last summer when I caught the cafe racer bug. Before I saw a cafe I was never into bikes at all. Choppers and crotch rockets just never did it for me. Being a complete newbie to motorcycles, it has been a learning experience! I originally bought an '82 CB650 with the intentions of making it a cafe but later found out the frame isn't really suited for it without doing some welding. I stumbled across a '79 in the Columbus Craigslist (I live in Cleveland). The guy was looking to trade for a guitar, so being that I have over 20 guitars I went ahead and made the offer and got the bike. I know the CB650 is the bastard child of the CB family, but that's part of the charm of the bike to me.

Here's the bike originally.
Bike1.jpg

Here's the bike the way I got it from the PO. He stretched the swingarm by 2.5". He also had stretched the clubmans by a couple inches, which I'm not quite sure why since the bars would clear the tank in their original state, but whatever. I'm going to use clip ons, so if someone wants some stretched clubmans, hit me up. Though I'm thinking they won't be too popular, haha.
Bike3.jpg

The first line of business was getting the frame and engine compartment covers powder coated gloss black, though now I wish I would have done them gunmetal. The PO's paint job on the frame wasn't that great and it was pretty easy to scratch off the frame, plus I didn't like the color so it had to go. Though I must say that the paint job on the tank and seat fairing are pretty nice. I also got the carbs completely disassembled. Luckily it came with the shop manual and I was able to reassemble them with minimal hassle. The choke cable connection on the carb, which is plastic, was broken. Luckily I was able to find a metal one on eBay off of a CB750 that was a direct replacement. I also replaced the main and slow jets since I'm going to run pod filters.

After starting on the bike I realized that I was in over my head. Being new to bikes, it would probably take me a year to get this thing assembled, wired and running correctly. So I put out a cry for help on the Ohio section of DTT. I really wanted someone to help guide me on the build and not just put the thing together for me. I REALLY want to learn all I can about bikes. The member Reinhard hit me up and offered his services. He works at Pride of Cleveland (in Lakewood, oddly enough) as a mechanic working on scooters and motorcycles. Needless to say, I thought it was such a generous offer for a full-time mechanic to offer to work on my bike with me free of charge. The only requisite is that I buy the beer, which I am more than happy to oblige. I can't put into words how lucky I am to have someone that is that willing to help me. I have a lot of fun at his shop (a huge 3 car garage complete with a spray booth) wrenching, shooting the shit about bikes, drinking beer and having a good time.

I digress. So this past Tuesday was our first official work night. We greased up the swingarm and then got the engine onto the frame, which wasn't an easy task. 200+ lbs. that has to be maneuvered in just so was definitely a chore.

Here's a pic of the bike as it sits now.
Bike2.jpg

I have an aluminum triple tree top and clip ons coming from DCC today. I can't wait to get them on the bike.

Sorry for so few pics. My next update will have more pics. The engine took quite a bit of time to get onto the frame, so the rest of the pics would have been of us lubing a swingarm, plotting out the engine mounts and plan of attack, and drinking beer. I want to lower the bike as much as possible while still being able to have it handle well. Eventually (probably after riding season) I'd like to paint the tank metallic silver and put knee dents in it, as well as paint the seat fairing gloss black with either no stripes or with metallic silver stripes. Mark (Reinhard on DTT) knows pretty much everything about bikes, so it's a real relief to have that knowledge right there while I'm working. I can't stress how excited I am about this project. I think about it 24/7.

Looks great - good work !!! I cant wait to see more :) Jon. PS - what make is the rear suspension (shocks) ?

Looks like a really good start. As a fellow owner of a bastard child remember, It's not an oil leak it's sweating from all the horsepower.(That's what I tell people anyway.)

Hurray, another '79 650! Looking good - I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

The plastic choke hook is broke on mine as well - do you remember what year 750 you got the metal choke hook off of?

It was off of a '77 CB750F PD41A carb. I lucked out and found someone selling the #2 cylinder with the choke lever on it still. They wanted $50 for it it I offered $20 and it was accepted. Pretty stoked!

Last night we put on the aluminum triple tree top and clip ons that I got from DCC. After looking at the bike I don't think I'm going to be using the stretched swingarm, since it looks really long (hard to tell from the angle of the pic I took). Luckily there is a swingarm from a CB750 lying around that is a direct fit. Gotta mock it up and see how it looks. We also went about making a list of components that we still need to get. Here's a couple pics of the progress.
Bike4.jpg

Bike5.jpg

HA! I thought that was to some one else that had a different set. My bad. Yeah I still want those. Can you find a box and give me the dimensions so I can get a shipping label to you by the end of the week?

I'm going to keep an eye on this bastard build!! I've got a kz650 four banger, which is the bastard son of z1. Kawi only made em for a few years while they were phazing out the 750twin and then they bumped the four cyl up to a 750.

Kind of the same boat as the cb650 when everyone only wants the 750. Here's to the black sheep, buddy 8)

No photo update because there's not much that is interesting to document. Motor is fully installed on frame. Installed the ignition coils and left side switches (won't have any switches on the right side). Also cut the clip ons down 1" and put the grips on. Found a front fender on eBay for $20 and found a normal, non-stretched CB650 swingarm on eBay for $26 shipped. I just can't get into the look of the stretched swingarm.

So that's where it stands at the moment. More updates to come. Will probably be doing the brakes and other front end stuff next time.

Long time with any updates on this bike. I ended up replacing the cheap shocks that were on the bike with a nicer and, more importantly, better performing set. Put a front fender on it and buttoned it up. I've got about half the wiring completed and have just lost interest in it. I ended up picking up a CB200T and a CL175 and now I'm way more into the smaller bikes. I've got this one up for sale on my local CL as-is, since I'm not really motivated to finish it up, even though it would only take a couple hours. Oh well. I learned a lot with this bike, and am using that knowledge on another build as I type this.
kPXK

kPY8

kPYc

kPYk

Back
Top Bottom