Suzuki GR650 - back to work...

Re: Little update 10/09/10 - GR650

Hey Rich, your GR is looking GReat so far. Is the tank off a GS450? Also, could I ask a huge favor... Once the stock rear fender disappears could you take a picture from behind the bike, showing the difference in height between the rear wheel and the top of the seat mounting brackets? I kind of ran into a problem with where I wanted to mount the battery box and a picture would help immensely.

Thanks guys - just trying to keep chugging along on this.

But ya Cippo, it's from a 80 (?) GS450E. It must have sat on a shelf for 30 years before somebody knocked into it and dented it. I honestly dont think it's ever had gas in it.

I'll try to get that pic for you first thing in the morning - Im at work all night and there's a good possibility I'll forget though. Dont hesitate to remind me. And the stock fender is just kinda hanging around with a couple bolts so it'll come right off.

Big Rich said:
Oops - hit post too soon.

I bought a couple packs of the variety wet-or-dry paper and it only goes up to 1000. If i have time, i plan on going back over the side covers and such (with 1500 and 2000) but i have a LOT to do and want the bike fired up by spring.

1000 is plenty if you start with sisal wheel and emory rouge (black usually)

you need to go back down to 400 or so, and work up from there. always go switch direction from the last sanding.

Ah young grasshopper, you see the trees but not the forest.

And you're crazy if you think i have time to get those scratches out. I started with 220 and worked my way up to 1000, the hit them with black, brown, white, AND red compounds. All while getting another 175 to run along with a 60cc 2 stroke, helping somebody else getting a bike running, weekly visits to the doctor, cleaning the house, and working 48 hours a week.

Love that tank. If you ever decide to go a different route, I'd be happy to take that off your hands.

Re: Trimming fat 10/12/10 - GR650

Ha! You probably wouldn't be surprised how many people would take it off my hands....... how bout a cb200 tank instead? ;D

So the headcover would just be a nightmare to try and polish so I had to come up with something else. Besides, can't all be polished right? The polished bits are covered in tape and the bare aluminum will be getting some glossy engine enamel:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTYtMjAxMDEwMTItMDgyOS5qcGc.jpg

And I started trimming the fat from the upper clamp - still need to get rid of some high spots but here's what it's looking like so far.
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTMtMjAxMDEwMTItMDMwMy5qcGc.jpg

Compared to the original (sans ignition and instrument mounts)
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTUtMjAxMDEwMTItMDgyOC5qcGc.jpg

Looking good brother, what is the plan for gauges? I noticed you cut of the stock mountings.

that is going to look trick love the paint idea on the valve cover...

tWistedWheelz said:
Looking good brother, what is the plan for gauges? I noticed you cut of the stock mountings.

Im afraid if I tell you all my secrets you wont love me anymore! :D

That's one of those details im going to work out when i get closer. But I know i hate the stock instrument cluster - with clubmans on it acted as a windscreen. I also have to do something new with the ignition switch - it shared the same mounting space.

Whats that orange trimmed tank? I like that on. Thems rear rails are gonna be a pain. Maybe just shoot a straight seat & make some stash pouches at the dipped part of the rail

It's from a GS450 E i think. Great little tank, the other one like it on EBay is in nasty shape and the guy still wants $90 for it.

I actually have a great way around the rails - my seat came in yesterday and I took a pic of it on the frame. Just havent updated my thread though......

Got a little time on the pc which makes posting pics SO much easier. Here's the seat that I ordered from Airtech:

hammer2contact.jpg

And here's what it looks like resting on the frame. Now a couple people that saw just the seat before didn't want the number plate trimmed down, but after seeing it on the frame I feel safe in saying "cut it".
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDAtMjAxMDEwMTUtMTUwMi5qcGc.jpg

Just for reference, here's what the frame rails look like underneath the seat:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDktMjAxMDEwMDktMDEwMi5qcGc.jpg

Ha! Ya, something close to the rails. I do want a little bit of overhang though. I cut some of the rubber for the rear of the tank mount - probably only dropped it about 1/2". Then it's a seat support to be fabbed, and I can figure out the rear set positioning.

That is a WHOLE lot of fiberglass hanging off that frame......

That seat is a blank canvas for soooo many different shapes. so many ways to go!

Ok, here's the line I'm looking at. Any objections? The black line is about the bottom of the frame rails so I will make a template, copy it to the other side, and draw a line about 1.5" lower than the black one. I'll cut the bottom line just so I can double check the frame rails and any clearance issues

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDctMjAxMDEwMTctMDM0OS5qcGc.jpg

I dig it Rich. Really cleans up the seat area, but retains the vintage race look.

Back
Top Bottom