The next endeavour...GS450E

Vortexjunkie

What's up guys! Been a while since I posted so I wanted to catch up and show you guys what I have been up to.

So like I posted in my other thread I bought a second GS450E. The po stated the bike had lost some power and that he just parked it after that. I picked it up for 150.00 so I wasn't really CO corned with the condition of the motor. I was thinking that it may have just jumped timing.

The day I picked it up.
41e01dbd7ea155b1323a002bc51cf77d.jpg

f0cb33bea10f6fe8b4d813530b47c067.jpg

So after I got it home I started checking things out. I did a compression test and both cylinders were very low. 90psi a side. I put new plugs in it and checked the oil and dropped a new battery in it. Primed it and it started right up. There was some slight tapping from the bottom end but it cleared up after a second. I had the bike running for 5-10 mins and then boom. The engine came to an abrupt stop. No dice. Tried to crank it and that bad boy was locked up tight..

So I got started tearing it apart.
b7de2e2b3c83a0e0429d778ba9fbde89.jpg

47749e63ae7518bf5fa98a551defa1fe.jpg

Oh boy.. glitter fest in the oil filter.
23fcbe726eb9e55bd062b8e48e904f1c.jpg

c35a62e459ca14a32d9cb5652edaddf9.jpg

Pulled the oil pan and found this....
24fdbd2ce7c87f455b898c605acdddd4.jpg

Needless to say the motor is a total loss.

Time to start the search for the new motor...

Instagram: @Vortexjunkie

After a few months of searching I finally found a motor on eBay. This was a little frightening as the as stated 798 original miles. I requested additional info and the seller was more than happy to answer all my questions. I decided to pull the trigger and pick it up since it was offered with a warranty.

aa6a929267f00b54ed2d9b73c873d1a3.jpg

780a05027a2ccb2856388bed4097c41a.jpg

I made an appointment with a local shop to me called Spears Racing. If you guys don't know who they are check them out. They are in Manteca Ca. They specialize in race bikes but since I have known Greg for a little time he offered to give the motor a once over and leakdown test the motor and reseal everything and do a valve adjustment. I had less tha 5% leak down per cylinder and the valves were all within spec. The motor looks SOOO clean inside I actually believe the miles are accurate!

72ea8f09a44dc388ae68bb27da0ab087.jpg

Side note: He also had this in the shop. Drool
0df57e6d425c769bc95370da2f38e08e.jpg

I just brought the motor home so now the real work begins! Stay tuned!!!!

I have always been a fan of those GS's, especially that color. That is a nice project.

jimmer said:
I have always been a fan of those GS's, especially that color. That is a nice project.
Yeah. Not sure what I'm going to do as far as the color.

Some progress today. I got the old motor all the way out.
14898d76fb40db08386e79dfcc0f5575.jpg

4c87d412dbcb6381b8818f7300e4453e.jpg

This me genius way of being able get it out of the frame.

87d01b4922673ab2ba6150fa1d644388.jpg

Going to follow this.

I'm in the process of gathering up parts to do a full restoration of a 1980 GS450E. My reason is sentimental as my first bike was one of these almost identical to yours except for the front fender which was chrome. I would love to have that first bike again but after the passage of 35 years it's probably been recycled for scrap.

Dwayne said:
Going to follow this.

I'm in the process of gathering up parts to do a full restoration of a 1980 GS450E. My reason is sentimental as my first bike was one of these almost identical to yours except for the front fender which was chrome. I would love to have that first bike again but after the passage of 35 years it's probably been recycled for scrap.
Awesome to hear that you are working on doing a full resto. I will unfortunately not be keeping this looking as factory as you will. Depending where you are I may be able to offer you a few of the oem parts as most will be replaced. Things like the tail light, seat, tail with cubby and maybe even the from fender!

OK. Mid day update. I have the new motor out in the garage and I started comparing some of the plugs on the new motor to the old. Seems the motors have been updated at some point. All of the plugs on the electronics on the motor are slightly different.

I just got done replacing the stator with the one from the original motor since the seller took that out. I also needed to swap the gear shift indicator switch.

Full disclosure this motor I received is told to be from a 1987 bike.

5f8e918c4e58233d6c4f691344feec90.jpg

Vortexjunkie said:
Awesome to hear that you are working on doing a full resto. I will unfortunately not be keeping this looking as factory as you will. Depending where you are I may be able to offer you a few of the oem parts as most will be replaced. Things like the tail light, seat, tail with cubby and maybe even the from fender!

I'm in Oklahoma City. I'll take just about anything you're willing to part with if the price and shipping cost is within reason. I've gathered up a substantial amount of parts in the past month off of ebay but definitely would be interested in your cast offs.

Dwayne said:
I'm in Oklahoma City. I'll take just about anything you're willing to part with if the price and shipping cost is within reason. I've gathered up a substantial amount of parts in the past month off of ebay but definitely would be interested in your cast offs.
Sounds good! I send you some pics or if you can pm me what all you need!

OK I ran into an issue tonight while working on getting things hooked up. I see that the plug on the pulse generator is different. So I though I'll just switch the plate that has the wires attached to it. Well... I got in there and the units look totally different.

Original motor
0ec5b92b8fb8dda6e84db5d5e251c1e4.jpg

New motor
f1ceb127a90908fd2daf27877997fc03.jpg

The wires seem to be the same colors and configuration but the plug is different and the unit looks different.

eda131c163be01661bd6caf10fe8904d.jpg

27ed787798cc907caa8048d72fc6a28e.jpg

b48d346ffca5936061a59716a5fde326.jpg

43502cd4f128ff00b57c106334a49767.jpg

Can I just swap the plug and soder the old plug in or can I swap the units? Is there anything I risk messing up if this not installed right? Is there any type of timing adjustments? Please lend your knowledge!

Did a little reading in my manual last night and was able to get this figured out. I swapped the entire unit and pulse generator post over to the new unit. Resealed the case and we are back on track.

Next up will be getting the carbs all setup and good to go after hooking up all of the harnesses.

I am waiting on my new chain and sprockets from SprocketCenter.com. they didn't have a kit just listed so they made one for me. I jumped up a tooth on the front to help with the top end of the bike and bring the rpm down a bit. I went with a newer O ring style chain as I figured it would last a bit longer than most.

I am also waiting on my dealership to get my cam chain tensioner gaskets in that I ordered today.

This is really turning into a fun project.

6e3f53e4d341f30e5c2ab51352cd9b6e.jpg

Alright. A little update. I have been on hold while finding tires for the bike but at last I made a choice and pulled the trigger. I went with a set of Avon Roadriders. Love how they look and I can't wait to get on the road with them.

With the rear off and the old tire on the frot.
91a144db249ed8f279290d638f628e41.jpg

New Tires and cleaned wheels.
dfba5506d44ecb146e5deab590673765.jpg

Along with this I went with a new set of sprockets and a new chain. I was looking for a bit more top end out of the bike so I jumped to a 17 tooth front sprocket and a standard 45 rear. I opted for a nice solid o-ring chain. I installed all of this last night and will be working on the wiring tonight.

Update on where I'm at. I have most of the wiring gone through and some issues repaired. I have been thinking about what do do about the carbs. In my manual I found this page:
c5154914759292e6174b79111c5b9d72.jpg

I saw it said for a factory upgrade on cv carbs to slide carbs to contact Suzuki City. I hoped on the net and located a dealer in the south that followed the name scheme. When I called and explained to the parts guy that I found a listing in a 30 year old book he said, That's good because we are a 30 year old dealer..lol.

Sad thing when he told me he didn't carry them anymore but directed me to sudco.com. I hoped in the horn and called them and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Second awesome part... they are in CA. I got my order placed and tomorrow my brand new slide carbs, pod filters cable kit and install guide shows up! I will post a picture when they get here. Carbs are coming prejet for filters and aftermarket exhaust but will require a small about of fine tuning.

I am still unsure what I would like to do with the exhaust. I'm very open to suggestions!

Very cool...my first bike was a GS450S that looked exactly like yours, same color and everything, but had a factory fairing. Man I wish I had that bike back.

alemonkey said:
Very cool...my first bike was a GS450S that looked exactly like yours, same color and everything, but had a factory fairing. Man I wish I had that bike back.
The more I look at the color the more I like it...

Back
Top Bottom