Rickman CR parts sourcing, rear wheel spoke hub manufacturer, etc?

SoyBoySigh said:
Cool build! blabbity blah blah blah blah this one time in band camp blah blah blah...

-Sigh.

Oh boy... Soy strikes again...
Karma has just bitten me in the ass...
As a repayment for my utter long-windedness, I get SoyBoi's stream-of-consciousness drivel...

SoyBoySigh said:
Any news on this build?

Why yes!
I've gotten pretty into enduro riding the past 2 seasons, so less time to build or post, and 3 more bikes (3 dirt bikes, plus 4 Suzuki GS parts bikes + 1 more '78 GS550E keeper) in the garage&basement have also distracted me...

& also getting a good union job has further enabled my addiction/habit/"primary hobby" of "collecting broken motorcycles, & vintage speed parts..." hahaha ;)

SoyBoySigh said:
Any news on this build?
Yes...
Not sure where I left off
I opted to switch from the $$$$$ custom piston/rods 944cc kickstart GS750 engine idea, to a GS1000 engine, basically because I got a Yoshimura GS1000 4-1 exhaust for my birthday, and had a GS1000 engine with a $650 welded crank job done to it, available to me for a mere $150 due to a broken 2nd gear tooth. AND it was pointed out to me that the kickstarter position will present interference issues with the Rickman rearsets. AND the bigger the displacement and compression an engine gets, the harder it is to kick over!!!

I acquired a GS1100G shafty engine for $35, & it had the sought after D-Port heads... bigger 72mm bore 1100G cylinders and D-port head now slated for this project...
Before I realized I had gotten a $750 welded crank in a $150 engine, I saw the opportunity to buy a race bike spare, custom built welded GS1100G/GS1100E hybrid crank custom spaced to fit a GS1000 crankcase. Effectively a custom GS1000 1.2mm stroker crank at 66mm vs 64.8mm. At this point I have decided I'm going for the ULTIMATE in 70's GS 8V engine tweaks...
I then acquired a second set of Yoshimura Road & Track camshafts
I then acquired 2 sets of Keihin 31mm CR Special smoothbore carbs, coincidentally one set up with parallel spigots to work perfectly on a ported GS750 head for my main street bike, and the other with spigots that perfectly match the big D-Port head...
Now I've found some NOS old MTC Engineering 74mm 10.5:1 1115cc forged pistons for a smokin' $250! 1135cc with the stroker crank! I may save these for the second GS1000 engine I'll build with the other welded crank and the latest GS1100G D-port top end I've acquired, and go for the $469 Wiseco K1100 kit for slightly lighter 73.5mm pistons and 1120cc. OR go $575 for semi-custom JE Pistons' 74mm GS1100G pistons which will be lighter than the 73.5mm Wiseco's even...
I'm undecided in the piston department.
Heavier pistons won't rev up quite as fast at high revs, and rob power due to rotating weight. Smaller pistons will be lighter by default, and leave more cylinder wall thickness for better cooling, but also more cast iron liner for a heavier bike overall... JE 74mm's with their additional piston lightening/balancing service seems the best bet. Better find some side jobs for extra $$$!

I got the full repro black gel coat fiberglass bodywork set from Mick the vintage 'glass guy in Australia, no fairing yet though. I'm undecided there, and leaning towards Glas From the Past Avon/Rickman fairing and low windshield from the windscreens guy. Not even fully decided on naked vs fairing, but that is the top fairing pick. Definitely not the full Rickman CR fairing that most Rickmans wear. Not MY style...

I yanked the vintage superbike legend Fox Factory Shox in favor of similar quality Works ProRacer adjustable piggybacks that I got for a smmmmokinnn' deal of $265 ($1100 when new!), as they are more color-appropriate to a black/silver/gold bike than the comparable Fox's with red ano reservoirs, and the huge cooling fins on the reservoirs look so dang cool and "period" for extra SoyBoySigh points among other cosmetic praises...

I got a deal on a killer 4.25x18 40h Akront TR deep drop polished alloy safety bead rim for the rear Rickman hub. I had a Scarb 36h front hub that looked nearly identical to a Rickman hub, and contemplated a 2.50x18 rear GS1000 rim laced to it, while searching for an appropriate match otherwise, to compliment the rear Akront TR. Rear TR's are prevalent, but wide fronts or even 18" fronts are SCARCE!

So then I FINALLY scored a real Rickman dual disc front hub!!!! Laced to an anemic Borrani Record 1.85x18 beat up rim, however... not standard for later CR's even.

Seeing a good amount of options in 120/70-18 front tires, I decided to jump on a $50 deal on an appropriate rim for that size rubber, a 3.50x18 Akront TR 40h.

Well come to realize, after reading reviews, most 120/70-18's are sport touring radial tires, a very few of which like the Continental Road Attack 3 do pretty darn well in the twisties, but there aren't any race tires, hypersport tires, or canyon/track day tires available in that front size. I'm taking everything else to the extreme, so this wasn't quite meeting my spec with only one tire option (Continental RA3) that is too new to get lots of liter bike track day / canyon carver reviews... plus most 120/70-18 fronts would have me at 160/60-18 rear which is the limit of a 4.25 rim (meaning not as good of contact patch, basically less traction more weight)

So I decided that perhaps an Excel dimpled straight flat sidewall deep drop polished 2.50x18 rim may be my best bet despite not being an exact exact match to the rear. The Bridgestone BT016 Battlax radials are basically EXACTLY what this bike needs, as they are made for 18" wheel mid 1980's sport bikes for 2.50-3" front wheels and 4-4.5" rear wheels, and are a phenomenal track day and canton carving tire. 110/80-18 and 150/70-18.
I can also get Avon AM22/23 (Venom or Super Venom?) race tires in these sizes, as well as the good old reliable Bridgestone Battlax BT45V which is a phenomenal bias-ply street/track day tire as well...
NOW I have just acquired via eBay a vintage Borrani flanged deep drop polished aluminum 2.50x18 40h rim that may be the closest yet that I've come to matching the Akront TR rear rim, and it is very period correct also, and safety bead design, so I can use 3M extreme sealing tape and go full on tubeless on these to save weight!

I have opted to switch back from the conventional and period correct looking '89 GSXR1100K fully adjustable cartridge forks back to the shorter height, rebound-adjustable '97 RF900R 43mm cartridge forks due to front end height regarding target chassis geometry... The RF900R forks also look very period correct, but are 43mm and DRASTICALLY advanced over a damper rod+cartridge emulator setup

Also with WERA and AHRMA rules, and after scoring the Scarab and Rickman front hubs, the very fuctional CBR900RR floating rotors (bolt on fit to a GS1000 wire spoke wheel hub) are departing this project, and I got some slightly heavier 310mm rotors from I think a 90-ish GSX1100G Katana or similar? They are not floating, and I will have to machine an aluminum center for them to fit the Rickman hub once I determine the proper offset based on triple width, and caliper choice. They will look like a better version of period correct factory superbike rotors, & will be vintage racing legal.

That's most of the updates that I can think of for now.
My lightweight 740cc GS550 canyon carver parts acquiring/custom ordering, and Formula-500 489cc GS425 planning and parts acquiring, KDX220 abuse-repair, PE250 restomod build (vintage trail ripper) have delayed the Rickman project a good bit, but all are active projects, life is just too hectic to dedicate immense time to them until mid winter...

I'll add tantalyzing photos when I figure out how to get un-Photophucketed, and have more time...

SoyBoySigh said:
I see it going further & further into the CROTCH-ROCKET direction, with all of these non-period-correct parts making absolutely zero attempt at looking remotely vintage,

I keep hoping to tune back in and see it all RETRO-FRIED, with parts made to look older without sacrificing dimensions specs etc.

Soy, what the hell are you talking about?!?! Stop babbling and ranting, and READ what I have been posting all along!!!!

The only non-period-appearing parts EVER to grace this project thus far are the excellent CBR900RR 310mm floating rotors (EASY direct bolt-on to my GS hub), & blingin' 6 piston calipers which I have since swapped for opposed piston 4 pot calipers that look more subtle and blend in, and are a direct bolt-on to all of the Suzuki 43mm cartridge forks.
All my proposed fork options look very very strikingly similar to 70's conventional RSU damper rod forks...
The floating rotors I was only using when I had no Rickman front hub. Now I have front and rear Rickman hubs and will be going more retro looking solid mounted rotors with aluminum centers.
Okay, you busted me, the clip-ins are not period. But the vintage Tarozzi's are so fugly! And the Rickman clip-ins ate steel, aluminum is softerrible and more gentle to the chrome when clamping...

SoyBoySigh said:
Would've been nice to see it done as though it really were an original Rickman Suzuki CR - "CR1000"? With the FIRST-GEN motor, of course.

It has ALWAYS been slated for a first gen GS engine since in my posession, WTH dude, READ!!!!

SoyBoySigh said:
Honestly though, there's a heck of a lot of potential in this build. It could really turn out BEAUTIFUL, if only we could abandon the tired old FISH-HEAD thing with the fugly six-pot Tokico calipers & even fuglier gold bespangled spider-flake carriers in those floating rotors. With some pretty standard fare Suzuki composite riveted discs in the same damn size, with some single-puck calipers of ANY marque, retro-fried with some surface treatment, slung off custom caliper-hangers if needs be - And the later-era forks spun down round, with just a stub of a lug for caliper hangers -

Picture something like the AMA Superbike discs, typically upwards of 310mm-330mm but still a solid center fixed riveted type. It'd be a heck of a better match to that lovely period piece on the rear hub!

There are no standard fare heavy pig iron riveted suzuki rotors in that same size. And this is an ultimate build theme, no old school 1960's "single puck" caliper "technology..." this is a SUPERBIKE, it must have top notch stopping power!
An opposed 2 piston AP Lockheed caliper could grace this well, but if going ultra-high-performance period correct, and AHRMA-legal, Grimeca 2 piston sliding calipers from Vintage Brake would be the hot ticket. Thats 1st place tie vs these subtle Tokico 4 pot opposed calipers that are a direct bolt on to my upgraded period-style (cosmetically) conventional forks.
Rear is all the original Rickman stuff with repro bracket from Matt slikwilli420 for the underslung AP Lockheed inverted caliper. Original master. Original rearsets. Original swingarm.

SoyBoySigh said:
I'm more of a Honda buff, and don't keep up with Suzy DOHC-4 dates & specs quite like I undoubtedly should. 'Cause the KICK-STARTER on the GS1000 is the missing element which I so so long for on my DOHC-4 Honda!

Speaking of which? A kick-ONLY build would be the preferred style, wouldn't it? With the capacitor type "battery eliminator" ignition, etc?

I'd like that, no capacitor though, too hard to start with aftermarket ignition. Tiny 4 cell lithium iron phosphate battery instead, size of a deck of uno cards and 1lb weight...
BUT I outlined the reasons why I put aside the GS750 kickstarter themed engine. Rearsets interference, huge pain to kick over monster compression big bore engine far bigger than an SOHC kicker Honda is reasonably capable of... plus the GS1000 crank is substantially lighter than a GS750 full circle crank, and the starter motor and starter clutch parts still don't total the same weight of the 750 engine, and I can run a very small physical size 2lb 8 cell AntiGravity Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery....
Plus ditching the kicker, I gain an extreme amount of horsepower and torque capability with the 1000-1135cc

SoyBoySigh said:
But you know, there IS a way the later motors and fugly crotch-rocket nonsense could find their way onto a classic style of bike: Just "whip up" a new FRAME for that shit - An EGLI style backbone/spine-tube frame, really heavy-duty of course, would surely be stiff enough & light enough as to compare with whatever fugly Deltabox bullshit the engines came from -
Oh yeah, I'll just whip up and MIG weld together an EGLI style frame out of my parts bike scrap pile of frame tubing and my antique folding carpenters ruler and hand crank grinding stone!!!
No, still would not be able to really handle an early oil/air-cooled GSXR1100 SACS engine...

THAT is what Harris F1/Magnum frame kits are for... vintage style racing frames, far more advanced than the Egli-style but still fitting with the late 70's cutting edge race chassis design and aesthetics... or a Suzuki XR69 replica frame. Again, a technical engineering masterpiece AND period correct for the cutting edge race bikes of 1980-is superbike history...
Water cooled??!?! You are very contradictory in your babbling!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!! Air cooled only! I just got a killer deal on the h20 cooled KDX220 trail mule, was a good excuse to have a wonderful modern dirt bike that I could totally totally flog and send cartwheeling down steep steep hillsides and not cry when I break it (it's actually insanely tough...)
I still am longing to replace it with the last of the air cooled - the 86-88 KDX200.... dreaming. I might ride less recklessly if I had the last of the air cooled KDX200's...something to really take care and pride with...

SoyBoySigh said:
Well WHATEVER - Here's hoping to see MORE of this build-thread. Some very interesting stuff right here. Potential for some period-correct GORGEOUSITY
-Sigh.

Well...why thank you, Sir Types-A-LOT!
Hopefully you will be too tied up reading all of my relevant postings and you only have time enough to stick to the topic when replying... no rambling stream of conscious tgread-pollution, please!

I don't really have the time in life right now to do intricate build threads, I'm trying to find time just to do an intricate build (6 of them, actually)and snap some photos along the way!) 95% of the bike is aimed at period-correct/period-style "gorgeousity." But EVERYTHING scrutinized for maximum performance enhancements...

The whole reason I fell in love with Rickman aside from the beautiful curves and looks, was that I could not get a stock Suzuki or Kawasaki chassis any lighter! The Rickman frame will be stiffer and a bit lighter, and a good excuse to build a really top-notch top-performing classic early 70s styled super bike with late 70s performance with a modern eye scrutinizing everything to the maximum degree...

It is likely to see some vintage racing at some point, although being a Rickman, I don't think I would push it terribly hard, because I would never want to crash it... at that, I might really look into getting a Harris F1 Magnum frame and putting this engine in it, and using the other engine to put in the Rickman to have another very powerful but not quite as high dollar of an engine to fill the chassis with, while the slightly higher performance engine will get put into the Harris frame for the really competitive riding that I may or may not ever get into. Too many projects now to think about that, but it's a pipe dream for the next decade.

I finally was able to meet up with member Anup_Vince who relocated to a few hours north of me, to check out some of his Rickman parts.
I came home with one of these original Rickman quarter or half fairings. Pic is not mine but is the exact same one, same color, same original Rickman nose sticker even... I'll be getting one of those low windscreens also, but I don't like how it extends past the end of the fairing straight back like it was meant for a slightly longer fairing. I may have to look into seeing if that can be trimmed down easily and able to look really professionally done or stock.

The sleek low windscreen look was the only reason I considered going with a fairing. If the only thing available was the taller bubble type windscreens, I would probably just let the Rickman be completely naked, but I think this will end up looking really good in all black with some gold repro Rickman graphics decals

Rickman_Low_P_On_Fairing.jpg

Hey Chuck is this guy in Cleveland? I just bought a Rickman single seat (the longer rarer version) from him and he had 2 white half fairings for sale. And his name is Anup!

Excited to see progress on this one! You don't happen to have or know of a 38mm Rickman top tree for sale do you? I found one but guy was too high on price for me at this moment.

Yup, same guy! I had been talking to him for a while about these but haven't made it up there yet. He called me to tell me someone else was interested in them so I had better get up there if I want one!

No I don't know of any triples, I read of your troubles with trying to repair the disintegrated one. The guy that I got the spare hub from however still has a bunch of Rickman parts that he needs to sell for his father-in-law. I have been waiting 10 months or more for a list or photo of all the parts, and I check back with him a week ago after last talking to you. Hopefully he gets me some sort of list in the near future. I am pretty good on everything except that I could use some different rearset parts, particularly the shifter side left rear set and shift pedal. The one I have is not the proper configuration for what I need, I don't think the pedal matches the rear set? I can't remember exactly. There are so many different types of Rickman rearsets for these CR's over the years, I had no idea until I started looking at mine and then looking at every picture of every Rickman where I can see the rear sets on the shifter side...

hi chuck,
i m reading this with interest,
am in the proces of about the same as you do but with a kawasaki engine
what length are the shocks you use?
in the front i'm going for a zrx750 fork and the wheels will be spoked with alu rims
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_205405.jpg
    IMG_20181119_205405.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
Nice lookin' Ricky on the bench!
I had 2 sets of high end 360mm shocks to use on the Rickman, slightly shorter may be a little more advised with concerns to chain tension (swingarm angle), but I was trying to reduce rake and trail as much as possible, as the frame is designed for a very short fork with very large offset in the triples, and wasn't exactly a really quick steering bike stock even.
Too many hobbies/bike projects/house projects has pushed my Rickman onto the back burner for the time being unfortunately. The last progress I made on it was picking up a nice original Rickman quarter fairing from Anup_Vince last winter...
Not forgotten, however... The '74 Rickman-Montesa Vehkonen Replica 250cc little powerhouse mx'er got a lot of attention recently, and some serious flogging late in the season last year... That thing is one good lookin' vintage dirtbike...

Building bikes for my wife, plunging deeper into KDX / PE250 / Rickman VR250 work and deeper into woods riding, a Suzuki Samurai 4x4 project, '62 GMC project needing upkeep, etc has flooded my free time. Hope to be buildimg a track day bike this year as well, likely starting on a 489cc GS425 Suzuki project, but perhaps the Rickman may get a shot at that? I'm too afraid to lay it down though!

Back
Top Bottom