Brat / Bob

Brat/ Bob

sasquach said:
Ya that would be a disaster but with the little knowlage I have and places like this I can get things dfone the right way.

So did you insert an internal slug "pig" for the swingarm welds? I didnt pick up what happened there (how you restored structural integrity) bike looks creative and innovative, happy to have found the thread.

Re: Brat/ Bob

yea u insert the slugs in the swing arm. i like to drill a hole in the swingarm and spot weld it in place before finish welding the rest.

VonYinzer said:
Killer stuff man. Look forward to seeing it in person sometime.

Mike your welcome to stop by anytime and check it out . Hell bring Rich and I'll buy the beer .

Briers and moto yes I did weld in a "pig" into the swingarm . I did it just like Breir said .

hi mate, I'm loving this build so far but just wanted to point something out; where I've marked with a red line is a bending moment where the frame could fail, the green line is around about where you may want to weld in a gusset just to reduce the chance of ending up with your grapes squished on the rear tire. In saying this I don't know what else you're doing to the rear end, just wanted to make sure you were making it safe as possible.

Attachments

• 1205110000.jpg
    1205110000.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 428

n0regret5 said:
hi mate, I'm loving this build so far but just wanted to point something out; where I've marked with a red line is a bending moment where the frame could fail, the green line is around about where you may want to weld in a gusset just to reduce the chance of ending up with your grapes squished on the rear tire. In saying this I don't know what else you're doing to the rear end, just wanted to make sure you were making it safe as possible.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I put a pig in there about 2 inches on each side of the cut . Thanks

sasquach said:
Briers and moto yes I did weld in a "pig" into the swingarm . I did it just like Breir said .

Did you photo that part? I'd like to see for my own knowledge. What did you use for the "pig"

Yes I did . It's on page 2 . I used a piece of steel pipe about 1/4 in. think set into the original swingarm pieces about 2 inches the plug welded them slid over the 4 in. extension and did the same on the other side then welded the cuts solid .

I made a base out of metal where the cardboard is . I welded studs to the bottom of it and tabs to the frame . It sits about an 1/2 in. above the frame . When I get to the finising stages it will be sent out to be covered . I will get better pics when I go down the garage. Thanks

1030111530.jpg

this is going to be a great bike, how about bars -- what do you plan to use?

You seem to have a go-for-it approach that's paying off, are you using a MIG or TIG for the welds?

Thanks for the good responce and advice . Thats the reason I posted the build was to keep my ass out of trouble and learn on my first bike build. As far as bars I think I'm gonna keep em stock for now ( we all know that could change at anytime LOL) . I am mig welding everything together . Someday I hope to get a tig . Less work nicer welds.

n0regret5 said:

I'd like to second this. Having seen the side profile now I can see there is an amount of weakness in that part of the frame that may need to be addressed.

You may be ok there, but a small gusset wouldnt hurt. Is there any support there side to side? Oh, and I have a couple cool old sets of mini apes that youre more than welcome to man.

VonYinzer said:
You may be ok there, but a small gusset wouldnt hurt. Is there any support there side to side? Oh, and I have a couple cool old sets of mini apes that youre more than welcome to man.

Mike yes I did put a brace in from side to side. I'll take ya up on those apes . You still working in the North Side ?

Back
Top Bottom