1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Dale said:
Great info. Thanks for posting the image danejurrous.

I may not be a motorcycle guru yet but I have had my hands in a fair share of gear sets. Great looking bike man keep up the good work!

Been a long time but if I remember right you move the patern in / out by adjusting the side load of the ring gear and up / down by the pinion depth...both of which effect your backlash... maybe danejurrous can verify.
And I am sure there is a spec for the backlash, (.*** +/- .***) so you'll probably need a dial indicator as well to set it up right.

This is one of the best home builds I've ever seen. Love Guzzis anyway, but I really love the attention to detail in the way you've designed the seat to complement the segmented v50 tank for perfectly. It looks like it was created from the same designer's pen, but with way more class and balance to the overall weight and stance of the bike. Also - the way it tapers to the tail light is superb and the seemless lines to the set padding are a revelation. I'm blown away, and really REALLY can't wait to see this finished...

...and as for the paint - I like the metallic black option, but leave room from a stripe or some detail, otherwise those stunning lines will be lost in photos... (I've had too many all black bikes myself).

Great work!

Oh dear .................... I deliberately kept away from this build since my early post.

Pissing down with rain today and can't be bothered to go up to a freezing garage [ although I should ].

Decided I would go through the build after all as I love Italian bikes and Guzzis in particular.

Stunning work my man, a credit to you.

So then, a glass or two of Glen Morangie's finest and I'm trawling aimlessly through my latest copy of Classic Bike mag. Everything silly expensive, but you never know.

I've been looking for a Morini 350 / 500 to use as a basis for a Boardtracker for some time now. .....wow, "Moto Morini 350 and 500 parts - call". Called the advertiser and 10 minutes into the conversation I realise it was Moto-GUZZI 350 / 500 parts. Damn, must wear the glasses / drink less when trawling that small ads.

Anyway, turns out he has a V50 that had a very minor fire [ backfire through airbox.] which did some minor damage to the loom before it could be extinguished. Otherwise the bike is complete with a V5 [ Title ] and the guy's spent loads of money buying parts. It sounds cosmetically challenged, but mechanically good AND he's jury rigged the wiring to get it running.

Again ...... oh dear.

I have loads of spare clip-ons, rearsets, Meggas, dah, dee, dah, dee dah. Even a very nice Triton tank that I KNOW fits Guzzi's as I had one on my Lemon. Benelli race seat - ditto Duke 750SS, AJS7R, Manx.

The 500 is probably too small physically for my bulk, but ...........

So thank you Dale for the inspiration ...just remains to see if the guy accepts my pitiful offer.

juan@crqcycles said:
Sweeet man! COngrats!

YOU KNOW THAT OLD SAYING ABOUT COUNTING CHICKENS ????????????

Just phoned the seller up to arrange collection and guess what - yep he's sold it to someone else.

lost for words, well any you could repeat in front of the Vicar.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Been a long time but if I remember right you move the patern in / out by adjusting the side load of the ring gear and up / down by the pinion depth...both of which effect your backlash... maybe danejurrous can verify.
And I am sure there is a spec for the backlash, (.*** +/- .***) so you'll probably need a dial indicator as well to set it up right.

As usual you are spot on HD. To get more or less contact on the ring and get a wider or thinner pattern you would adjust the ring gear closer or farther from the pinion, some vehicles have screw adjusters although I am assuming the guzzi would utilize shims. You kinda have to play around with it a little bit. From there you also would need to shim the pinion gear in or out to make sure it is contacting in the center of the ring gear as I had shown in my previous post. Once you have it set as close as you can then comes in the dial indicator to make sure you have the correct torque spec on the pinion gear to make sure the bearings have the correct amount of pressure on them. Feel free to PM me and I can shoot ya my number if needed. Happy to help in anyway I can.

Thanks for the help danjerous, HD. Yup it uses shims. I'll bug you if I get caught. :)

That's a bit of a rollercoaster beechcomber! Whats meant to be will be I guess... still... :-/ Would have been cool to have another V50 on here...

-alan- thanks a bunch! Just saved the images and will print out. Invaluable. Appreciated.

Dutch Von Shed said:
This is one of the best home builds I've ever seen. Love Guzzis anyway, but I really love the attention to detail in the way you've designed the seat to complement the segmented v50 tank for perfectly. It looks like it was created from the same designer's pen, but with way more class and balance to the overall weight and stance of the bike. Also - the way it tapers to the tail light is superb and the seemless lines to the set padding are a revelation. I'm blown away, and really REALLY can't wait to see this finished...

...and as for the paint - I like the metallic black option, but leave room from a stripe or some detail, otherwise those stunning lines will be lost in photos... (I've had too many all black bikes myself).

Great work!

Dutch, thanks for the kind words! Very motivating.

crazypj - didnt know you had a MKI. Thought you were a die hard 2 stroker!

Nope, I'm British so ride what I can afford at the time (or borrow from shops I worked in) ;)
Only bike I've kept from new is 1977 CB550 F1
I had 2 Guzzi 500's, one for spares ;)
I remember who I sold them to but not why ::)
Also had a newer 750 for about 5~6 months (looks like 500 motor, it was new so I never did anything to it)
Been mostly a four-stroke 'fan' but had to get two stroke when racing so ended up with several from 1979~80 until around 1994~95

... TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER

Parts_zpsuay38lo7.jpg

Got home on Saturday night and just felt inspired to finish this bike. Started digging up bits and pieces everywhere.

Motor_zpsrbd7j4ek.jpg

START AT THE BEGINNING. Again. :)
Cleaned up the motor - everything really dusty after lying in my shed for a couple of years.

Assembly_01_zps9sc4niil.jpg

Assembly_03_zpse5raevkk.jpg

Assembly_02_zpsae4jhd6p.jpg

Assembly_04_zpsy4eianma.jpg

Assembly_05_zpsptwh7eec.jpg

Assembly_06_zpsunjsuwc1.jpg

Assembly_07_zps2ayozrsa.jpg

Assembly_08_zpsxzjlfxap.jpg

Assembly_09_zpsdjz63qnn.jpg

Assembly_10_zpsedk9vfz5.jpg

Maritime, DesertKZ, yeah, thanks!

Few items still to be done.

Carburetors are the last mechanical item that needed to be restored. Did them today.

carburetors_01_zpsjlpwjtfh.jpg

carburetors_02_zpssxychsgy.jpg

carburetors_03_zpsla2qetww.jpg

carburetors_05_zpsrmj8jvjg.jpg

carburetors_04_zps99he1oic.jpg

carburetors_06_zps8xierj6f.jpg

carburetors_07_zpszlqpghwz.jpg

carburetors_08_zpstxgeyqx9.jpg

carburetors_09_zpsg0pqin1v.jpg

Back
Top Bottom