"clipons and stock foot pegs" and other cafe racer faux pas

Yeesh. I've done clubmans on a bike with stock pegs, only lasted a month or so like that. I have pods on the bike now (jetted and piped though). Firestones on a chopper rear wheel is ok. Firestones on a cafe = not, that one bugs me. Upside down bars as "cafe" bars always looks obvious and dumb to me.

Re: "clipons and stock foot pegs" and other cafe racer faux pas

Kamn said:
Whats the problem with mono shocks??
Honestly, I have no idea. I just think it takes away from the classic look. But that's just me. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they always stink.

I really like the modern forks on bigger cc bikes. It does seem really counter productive to leave old style rear shocks on the rear and only upgrade the front though..

I'm currently running clipons with stock pegs while I look for ways to put rearsets on a maxim 400 which is also a monoshock bike lol.

canyoncarver said:
Upside down bars as "cafe" bars always looks obvious and dumb to me.
Depends, stock bars up side down looks silly IMO. I see a lot of that on Craigslist as Café Racer for sale ads.
But put a nice set of M bars upside down and it actually works.

xulf13 said:
Depends, stock bars up side down looks silly IMO. I see a lot of that on Craigslist as Café Racer for sale ads.
But put a nice set of M bars upside down and it actually works.

Very true. I think that's pretty unique to M bars though.

snmavridis said:
Honestly, I have no idea. I just think it takes away from the classic look. But that's just me. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they always stink.

The problem is that achieving proper spring rates, damping, frame integrity, and a host of other details is in fact more difficult that it might seem. As a result many if not most mono-shock conversions you see are no better and in fact could be worse than a good dual shock setup. So in essence they tend to be for looks rather than performance and that rubs many the wrong way.

some Mono shock builds actually look pretty good and work...I dont know the egineering points that make it work properly but I like this one...

Attachments

• bothwheels003Medium.jpg
    bothwheels003Medium.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 265

Sav0r said:
As a result most mono-shock conversions you see are no better and in fact could be worse than a good dual shock setup.

Fixed it. And it's not just aesthetics vs performance, some can be downright dangerous.

Agreed! Most would be better off finding a good set of replacement shocks for the rear, probably end up saving a lot of labor, headache, and heartache in the end. 9 out of 10 would be cheaper too.

coyote13 said:
Agreed! Most would be better off finding a good set of replacement shocks for the rear, probably end up saving a lot of labor, headache, and heartache in the end. 9 out of 10 would be cheaper too.

Yeah but then how does a bro "turn heads" and "get looks"? ;)

1fasgsxr said:
some Mono shock builds actually look pretty good and work...I dont know the egineering points that make it work properly but I like this one...

While I don't doubt that it works well, I guess my question is and always will be, it works well compared to what? Until something is vetted, generally via the race track, it's hard to truly quantify the success or lack of a success of a component or group of components.

Very nice bike though, it looks great!

I am with you 100% on that. I cant stand when guys just put something on because it looks cool and it makes the bike worse than it was originally. Thats why I leave stuff like that alone. I dont know how to engineer it to make it work, so I dont do it ;D

snmavridis said:
Monoshock swing arms kill me. At that point is it really a cafe racer anymore?
No offense teazer
Rode pretty hard up in to the Ozarks last week. Stopped at a café. Took off up further in to the hills, stopped at another café. Does that make her a café racer?

20160619_094613_zpsbkesawjg.jpg

I think, by the strictest definition, yes. But that's not fair. Because you guys do the monoshock right. Not a lot of people do.

snmavridis said:
I think, by the strictest definition, yes. But that's not fair. Because you guys do the monoshock right. Not a lot of people do.

I'm going to try to get rid of that last little bit of chicken strip when I get back from the holiday weekend.

20160701_113735_zpsmjrngctg.jpg

It must just be the Arkansas roads because my monoshock did pretty well in the Ozarks and the ouachitas. Maybe it's just those smooth twisty roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
It must just be the Arkansas roads because my monoshock did pretty well in the Ozarks and the ouachitas. Maybe it's just those smooth twisty roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app
Some of the most underrated riding in the country, IMO.

julian.allard66 said:
Ride round in a pink bikini?
I'm not above that.

clem said:

Sounds like a road trip.

Back
Top Bottom