'72 CB750 Cafe Project Questions (Forks, Shocks, etc.)

Lou N

All,

Today I noticed that one of my '72 CB750 forks is leaking, so after doing some research here on the forum I have a couple of questions:

1. Where is the best place to get progressive fork springs and the replacement seals (I was thinking about Old Bike Barn until I saw all the neg threads)?
2. There is a noticeable flat spot when the throttle id rolled on between 3k and 4k RPM, any suggestions?
3. Recommendations for rear shocks? Can these bike be lowered?
4. When I finally tear it down what motor issues should I be looking out for? I have not compression tested it yet, but the motor seems to pull well through the RPM range, no smoke, plugs looks good (maybe a bit rich), top end seems a little noisy.

Thanks,
Lou

I'll reply to a few...

#2 - Has this "just happened" or has it been there all the time? If it's just happened, your carbs might need cleaning (blocked pilot jets).
What air filter / exhaust are you running? Have you re-jetted if it's non-stock?
Without changing jets, the only thing you can really adjust is the idle mixture, float level and the needle height. Seeing the hesitation is not at idle, but in the lower end, maybe try raising the fuel level in the bowls and see if it clears the problem. Alternatively, raise the needles a notch.

#4 - Do the compression test and see if you need to re-build. If the numbers are good, why bother? With the noisy top end, have you checked the tappets? Or maybe theres' an exhaust gasket leak??

Good luck with it

Guys,

Thanks for the suugestions I'll dig into it a bit further. I pulled off the header and pipe that came with the bike yesterday and there is a lot of carbon in and around the exhaust port. I assume the bike is running too rich so that might be a good place to start. I'm replacing the unbaffled pipe with a Yosimura style pipe from Carpy that has a baffle. I will also be picking up a compression tester to see how things look there.

I have also been on the SOHC site trying to research the various issues, there's certainly a lot of info out there.

Lou

Back
Top Bottom