'72 CB350F "Lil Sister" build thread

Re: '74 CB350F "Lil Sister" build thread

Looks like that is going to be a clean little ride Hoosier. I'm glad you kept the fork covers, these guys need that beefy look on the front end IMO. I like the lines on the seat too, well done.

Love how the fork tube covers turned out.

Man, I really like that seat style. Mine is a little too wide.

Got an original ignition switch mount to put the key back where it belongs instead of the the cheezy bracket that was pinched between the bolts at the handle bar clamps. Then I fired her up just to let it idle, but after rev'ing up a couple times, I couldn't resist and took it out for another not so legal jawnt down the contry road I live on.
There is no doubt in my mind this bike will hit the Ton, not so sure about me yet, but at 70mph indicated for a while she was doing about 5 to 6 grand (tachs slow to react) and had lots of throttle left.
"Fast enough for now" says me, and backed down. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do since there is still stuff to check over on this bike but it felt and sounded so damn good. ::)
Need to get things sorted out and legal damn soon!

Feels good though, doesn't it? I'm in the same boat - test riding illegally. Except my tires are still "vintage" so I hate to go over 20 mph.

Either way, congrats Hoosier!

Pulled an all nighter Saturday, Momma and Daughter#4 went out of town. ;D Did quite a bit to the "Bomber" but while I was thinking what to do next, I payed some attention to "Lil Sister".
Sanded the Points and reset the gap
Reset timing with my test light, good way to recheck your points gap.
Changed the Plugs with come new NGK's
Drained the Oil that I put in when I got her running. Was straight weight 30 with 1/2 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil and refilled with actual Castrol motorcycle 10W-40 oil.
Adjusted the clutch down at the case per the manual. *NOTE* turn that screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE!!
Then lightly lubed the chain with some 80/90W.
Even cut some seat foam and worked on the rear seat mount
She's running much better. Still need to finish it's seat and mount the tailight once it gets here.
Oh and according to the manual, I need to get some 91 octane in her....

So I been working on the seat, found out tig welding aluminum is harder than it looks. Here is a crappy pic of the crappy tack welds just to hold it together.

After some more practice I was able to get it to look decent. Then I fabbed up the mounts, drilled the tail ligh mounting holes, and added the seat foam. Time to cut the frame tabs to check fitment. That'll due.

Next came the cover, I cut a pattern out of newspaper and cut the vinyl to shape. Does anyone use the term "Naugahyde" anymore?
I buoght some upholstery thread and sewed it up on Wifey's sewing machine after praticing on scrap pieces. I know I took a pic of that but you think I can find it?! May have to edit this post if it shows up.

Anywhoo, I used a spray trim adhiesive and attached quilt batting to the pan, then stretched the cover on and used contact cement to glue the cover to the underside of the pan, going small sections at a time, opposite each-other clamping it till cured.

Here is the final product!

I like it Hoosier! How comfy is it?

That that we make these scoots to "comfy", but still.

Comfort of the padding is not bad really, I wouldn't do the iron butt on it, but it'll be fine for what I want. My "fitment" is another story, I have to have my skinny little arse almost all the way back to the bum stop and feels like my knees are in my chin. Guess those DIY rearsets are in the future. ;D

Thanks guys, yesterday since it now has the illusion of being legal, I actually took it out for a decent little ride. Grand total about 20-30 minutes, even got a couple nods from others and a guy in a truck rubber-necked all around as I turned past him. Felt gooooood. She's a little obnoxious with the 4 straight pipes so that brings me to the next dilema
Just now I committed a personal sin... Ordered parts froma particular aftermarket Company I've had a long time hatred for that goes clear back to 1977.
I was 16 and had my first car, a '65 Mustang coupe. I had a part time job and saved up enough money to get rear shackles, headers, Glass packs and a few other things. Total came to $300, that was a lot of money back then, especially for a 16 yearold kid.
I mailed in my order form and awaited my parts... 3-4 weeks later I get a letter saying it's on back order and they will ship complete in 6 weeks.
2 months and I have nothing, Then another letter saying they were filing Bankruptcy and if I wanted a percentage of my money, I could appear in court... on a Wednesday... in CHIGACO!
How the Hell can they keep my money?!? Thats when I learned what Bankruptcy meant.
The kicker was a couple months later, I get a new catalog in the mail from them!!!
They have been in business every since, who knows how many times they wiped their depts clean by going bankrupt, but they weren't getting any more of my money... or anyone I could tell this story to for the last 30 years.
Till now that is, I just placed an order from JC Whitney for 4 of these, could only find them at one other online source and they were twice as much. Must be despirate or getting soft in my old age ::)
229_Exh3693.jpg

Congrats on the decision to get some muffs - even if it is from JCWhitney. I feel the same way about them, only order stuff that I can NOT find anywhere else.

Well I got the mufflers yesterday, took the pipes off and cut to length with a tubing cutter and cleaned them all up as best as I could. Reassembled and fired her up...SHIT! Exhaust sounds much better, lower rumble but when you jack the throttle she says HELLO! But not in a unruley sort of way and I don't think they look too bad either!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Well I got the mufflers yesterday, took the pipes off and cut to length with a tubing cutter and cleaned them all up as best as I could. Reassembled and fired her up...SHIT! Exhaust sounds much better, lower rumble but when you jack the throttle she says HELLO! But not in a unruley sort of way and I don't think they look too bad either!

Very cool setup ;D I like it!

Thanks guys... I got a 60 second video of how it sounds... but damned if I can figure out how to load it onto "webshots". ::)

I've been considering those for my 200, they do look good. Glad to hear that Whitney story, they do suck.

Back
Top Bottom