'72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7 - Swingarm progress

Re: '72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7

This bike is bitchin man. Really. The Duc style decals are great. For a Philly kid your all right. Im looking forward to seeing this in person one of these days...

Bobdot said:
Thanks Ian, I agree with the real world finish. Only thing with vinyl is that it only lasts so long (5-7 years) before it starts to yellow and crack. I dont plan on selling the bike anytime soon, plus my tastes do tend change every so often so it might be nice to just be able to pull it off and try something different. We shall see...

5-7 years is plenty lomg enough for a paint-scheme. Hell, I change mine every TWO years ;D

Another option may be to paint your graphics on? They don't seem to be overly complicated, and perhaps you could cut your designs in a masking frisket and spray through them?

ian

Welp, still really tired from the weekend of awesomeness, but I did manage to make progress tonight by reassembling the rear wheel and getting it 80% mounted. Totally changes the look of the bike and I'm loving it. Still has Groovy's 360 tank for 3am emergency starting purposes but the real tins will be back on soon enough. Sounds good and mean, I'll have to grab a video this week after I get the right side cover polished and mounted. Thanks again to Mike, Lauren, and Todd this weekend, endless sources of knowledge and inspiration, lets keep it going.

Pics are a bit dark, it is midnight...
101_0321.jpg

101_0320.jpg

Mike, you were right, the chain doesnt exatly fit, it's two full links too long (better than being short) but I need to pick up a breaker to adjust it correctly...

i'll look around the old shop (gotta get my valve spring compressor anyway) and see if i've got a chain breaker. i'll be down friday to help groovy, i'll bring it down if i've got it.

GroovyAardvark said:
Ain't she just the bestest?!

Indeed, however my lack of patience and obsession with tools may get the best of her this round...

understandable, i love finding excuses to get new tools!

it's a wonderful cycle.. buy bike. wooo excuse to get tools. but it would be a waste to only use those tools once.. you'd better buy another bike just to use the tools again..

I would suggest at least 4 more bikes, each. With a little work you could build 2 in the garage and 2 in your kitchen. Sounds reasonable to me.

VonYinzer said:
I would suggest at least 4 more bikes, each. With a little work you could build 2 in the garage and 2 in your kitchen. Sounds reasonable to me.

I started this build in a bedroom, so I'm pretty comfortable with that idea. Lets see...two bedrooms, one living room, kitchen, and roof deck...(quick math)...yea, 10 bikes it is! Also, I'm looking into adding a Do The Ton flag over our garage, we'll be a historical point of interest for ton monkees in Philly!

Brilliant fuckin thought... Ive been thinking about getting a DTT flag myself. Lemme know if ya find someone to make it. I want one.

VonYinzer said:
Brilliant fuckin thought... Ive been thinking about getting a DTT flag myself. Lemme know if ya find someone to make it. I want one.

In contact with my buddy Dan ("new" GS450) about the flags, this is going to happen.

As for the bike, got the valves adjusted last night finally, then tried to start it up quick to see if there was any improvement. As I was pushing the starter, the main power wire coming off of the battery fried up and smoked....

The wire is a bit thin so i picked up some nice bulky wire from work today so I'll be replacing it and see how it goes. I still need the right side crank case gasket before I really feel comfortable staring it for long periods. The itch to ride it killing me, I need to be on the road next week.

WE HAVE A ROLLER!!!!

Finally got the chain breaker in, and with a little modification got it to work with the new 530 chain. Felt so good to release it from the binds of that lift. Here's a few pics of the roller with Groovy's tank on it

101_0328.jpg

101_0329.jpg

101_0331.jpg

GUEST APPEARANCE!!!!!!
101_0340.jpg

Changed the old wire out and she started up beautifully, looks like paint, gaskets, and tarmac are in order...

looking good. what are you going to do about the other exhaust? i like that cone on there

dcmspikes said:
looking good. what are you going to do about the other exhaust? i like that cone on there

Under that heat shield is a 2-1 collector so only one exhuast pipe needed!

very slick. i looked for the collector, or signs of, and didnt think it was there

Dayum, if that was mine, I'd leave it like that (other than adding a seat to it). I'd just finish up the electronics and whatever engine work was necessary, I love it.

nzr-trk1 said:
Dayum, if that was mine, I'd leave it like that (other than adding a seat to it). I'd just finish up the electronics and whatever engine work was necessary, I love it.

Thats pretty much where I'm at on it. Engine work should be done, aside from a gasket or two, and the electric is sorted. Just a few more little detail things left. I've had this image in my head for years and I'll regret it everyday if I dont take the time now to bang it out. Glad you like it, just wait til its complete!

not too much progress the past few days due to waiting on the last few parts to come in. I did snap a few shots of the new battery/electric setup that seems to be working perfect, without much modification or fabrication. The battery is off the shelf from Radio Shack, 12V 7.5ah, fits very snuggly between the rear shock mounts. Might interest some of the other 350 guys and gals...

Battery mounts came in the form of stock shelf brackets I found at Lowes and mounted with short self tapping screws:
101_0310.jpg

View from the underneath with both brackets mounted, you can also see the relocation of the regulator under the crossmember:
101_0312.jpg

Battery mounted in and a view of the relocated (aftermarket) rectifier and stock starter relay. Just drilled a couple holes and put bolts with lock washers through:
101_0309.jpg

One more view:
101_0308.jpg

To tidy it up a bit I plan on using cable clips to attach to the underside of the seat, pics of that when it happens...

Back
Top Bottom