'72 cb350f Cafe Build, Four Angry Squirrels

Thanks gary! Just added myself to that group on fb, can't wait for some fun rides this year and to meet everyone!

I've been lazy the last few days but the carbs are finally back together. I lost my motivation trying to put them on the bike though. Lining up four carbs to those damn rubber boots is near impossible without the other ones popping out but Hopefully itll be together tomorrow.

I'm now between two colors, yellow, and crimson red. Either would have two black stripes. We'll see how that goes the more I stare at the bike.

IMGP1198_zps23b3f111.jpg

Here are few update photos, I'll have better ones tomorrow with a lot more parts on!

So here's the first time the carb assembly thing was all back together, and the piece that i forgot to put in the middle of it all for the spring... no worries though its all good now and I got more practice :p
IMAG0091_zpsbefd480a.jpg

IMAG0089_zpse52ca744.jpg

IMAG0090_zps2ec43eb2.jpg

Yup i know that feelin too mate :( i used a squirt of wd40 / lube oil around inside of rubber boots ;) if ya still have trouble i also warmed em up with the wifes hairdryer haha :p went on a lot easier then . The colour scheme changes like the weather finally decided on gloss black with silver sripes down centre line of bike and the more i look at the bike ime now thinking gold stripes aghh :-\

yorkie350 said:
Yup i know that feelin too mate :( i used a squirt of wd40 / lube oil around inside of rubber boots ;) if ya still have trouble i also warmed em up with the wifes hairdryer haha :p went on a lot easier then . The colour scheme changes like the weather finally decided on gloss black with silver sripes down centre line of bike and the more i look at the bike ime now thinking gold stripes aghh :-\

I swear one of the boots is like 5mm off center. Aren't they symmetrical? like would flipping them be a waste? I just spent 15 minutes wrestling around and got nothing. I'm busting out the blow dryer now! lol

Do gold stripes, that's how i wanted mine because of the old black and gold mustangs.

Got em! The boots aren't symmetrical turns out. They all have numbers on them, make sure the top sets of numbers on the boots are facing outward. Heating and wd40 definitely help!

Should have her running by next weekend, maybe ride-able by march?!

IMGP1213_zpsa1ef68aa.jpg

IMGP1207_zpsf120c476.jpg

Result mate ;) sounds cool runnin by March 8) hope i can get my finger out 'n get all done ::) already thinkin bout another project ??? yeah old gold gonna look cool on black cheers mate keep goin :p

gk45011 said:
Alright Thrasher...You post up "ALMOST DONE" and I came looking for pictures..

What Gives :p

Gary

haha, Key is finally made for her I just need to pick it up tomorrow. I'm out of picture worthy things until my rearsets show up next week! Also have the dyna S ignition on the way with them. Only real new things I've done are put on the oil pan and filter housing with new filter. I've officially sold my car and its finally back to me and the old girl again, err... once she runs haha!

The way everything sits I'll pick up the key in the morning, finish up the wiring and hopefully have it cranking over by tomorrow afternoon. Body work and carb tuning the days after! We'll see how the new jetting worked out this time. I'll make up for the gap in pics with a video of it firing tomorrow!

-Chris

GOT THE KEY!!!! WOOOO!!!! But it didn't work for the handlebar lock... just the ignition. Even though they're the exact same key... So fwustwaiting. She's all set to start up but I think I'm missing something stupid in my wiring too. More on it later, I need a snickers or something.

IMAG0157_zps9ddad113.jpg

Also, important question before I forget it and ride like this. Whats this piece called that goes where i have that screwdriver? My garage floor ate mine.

IMAG0155_zpse94cfc83.jpg

Well, got the new harness all fixed without too many problems and actually got her started earlier today! Of course after rebuilding the carbs they two middle ones are leaking from the overflow. I'm really concerned its a cracked downstem overflow thing or whatever the tech term is for it. I double checked them three times when i put them all together and I know the floats aren't stuck.

Either way I'm stoked its running, should be fully up and going in a week or so.

Subscribe to my channel on youtube if you'd like, many drag racing, drifting, downhill skating, squirrel launching, and other random videos getting posted soon. I just started it up but don't worry, plenty of good footy about to be posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM9dEC1oDIw

Idling a bit high still, about to take the carbs back off anyway because she's leaking out of two of the overflows. Not sure what it could be other than a stuck float witch I just fixed... grrr...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o794WJQdDuc

Great job so far! I also am building a 350f, a 73 model.http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112840

Once the weather gets too hot to ride (late May/June) I'll be pulling the engine to reseal and polish with the addition of DCC's Allen head bolt kit. Interested to see how the rear sets come out for you. As far as your carbs are concerned, two things. First, check the float height, they need to be set at 19mm. Even 1mm off is too much, they'll end up spewing fuel and running pig rich. Second, get ahold of a carb sync tool and sync the carbs. You can find them on flea-bay for $60-100 or borrow one. Personally I prefer the glass tube style with the mercury to the vacuum gauge style, gauges can be fickle whereas mercury is always accurate. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it, I had mine synced in about 20-30 minutes.
Good luck!

When you have the carbs off the bike, take each float bowl off and fill each one with gas almost to the top. If a bowl starts leaking out the overflow then the brass overflow tube is cracked and you either need another bowl or replace the brass tube ( I think there was a post on the the SOHC 4 forum about a guy making new brass overflow tubes). My 400-4 required a 23mm float height which is getting a bit edgy as far as enough fuel in bowl is concerned but less fuel in the bowl may be the case for you as well. Check carbs for overflow issues on the bench, just feed them fuel in an upright position (I support mine in a oil drain pan and use a fuel bottle hanging above the carbs). Doesn't take long to spot a leaking carb and you don't have to fight with getting them on and off the bike.

Just pulled the carbs off to adjust the float height and check all that jazz hopefully I'll have them finished up soon.

I ran into another problem that happened before to me while riding this bike. I'd park somewhere after a perfectly normal ride, turn the key off, come out of the store or whatever any time later and the bike wouldn't even make a click when I hit the starter button. Lights work fine, battery is charged, fuse is good, just silence. My only two guesses are the starter solenoid or the starter itself.

Thanks for posting about your build, its great to see what the bike went through.
What was your experience like with the pods? Did you need to rejet? I have a 350f that I'm considering pods for, but I keep reading to keep away.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom