'73 CB350 Build Thread

Ok, so I was originally thinking of keeping the OEM seat since my wife will want to ride on it some. However, the OEM seat is NOT big enough to safely ride 2-up, IMO. This has pushed me into going straight to the full-cafe build with the seat and rear sets. I just ordered these rear sets from a guy on DTT:

IMAG0074.jpg

That'll probably be the most expensive part of my build. $180 :crazy: Has anyone on here made their own cafe seat with fiberglass? I can't remember if spockrocker did or not.

-Matt

Yes...just not in that pic. :)

This weekend Im going to clean the inside of the tank, rebuild the carbs, get a new fuel line, and try to get it fired up.

Question #5 What size/length and what material do I need to buy for the fuel line?

Question #6 What are the OEM sizes for the jets that I need in the carbs? The kit I bought came with 115 main and slow 38. (That's what the eBay seller said...)

Thanks!
Matt

Is that a set from OldSchoolSpeed? Great looking set pictured. And if you ordered from Kris the Quality, service and turnaround is great.

GK

Yessir. Just waiting on the PayPal invoice and Ill shoot him my money! Can't wait!

Question #7 What do I need to do in order to make a RocCity Roadster seat fit on my bike? Do I need to get one of those frame tubes and weld it on? Im a complete newb, so I apologize for the "easy" questions.

-Matt

I have a buddy a few hours from me who lives by soda blasting. I wish I could find his pics. Basically he disassembled the carrbs and blasted them in and out. It's virtually non abrasive and will make the aluminum look brand new if you spend enough time on them. As for seats plenty of folks have built fiber glass seats. There's a pretty slick youtube intro video that will help you with how to do it. As for your other question, I'm not sure on the size, probably 1/4" id. You don't need high pressure line but you do need to run fuel line, standard rubber hose will deteriorate very quickly.

Which direction does your buddy live fro Indy? If he's south, we may not be TOO far apart since Im in Cincy.

-Matt

Also the roadster seat should fit without any issues. However if I were to put that on my bike I would cut about 5-6 inches off to shorten it and then section the front to bring it in to match the width of the frame. You don't have to put a rear hoop on but it looks more finished if it is there. If you really wanted to you could leave the rear frame pretty close to the way it is. You may have to trim a little but you could do it.

-Keith

mattfeet said:
Which direction does your buddy live fro Indy? If he's south, we may not be TOO far apart since Im in Cincy.

-Matt

Evansville sadly :( I wish he was closer haha.

http://youtu.be/klcwT2IMznU

I hope that link works. I'm posting from the iPad....so it may not. It's Herm's tutorial on building a mold for a seat. Glassing itself is pretty easy. Takes a couple tries to get good but it's extremely easy to work with. That's why it's so popular.

-Keith

I'm torn on what to do. On one hand it'd be cool to build the seat myself, but on the other it won't really save me any money all said and done, and the RocCity seat would look much nicer when it's finished. Hmm....

Thats the video that I followed to build my seat Matt,I had never messed with fibreglass before but do it, it is very easy and a heap of satisfaction comes from making your own, not to mention about half to a third of the price of buying one, $85 mine cost me, thats including the foam and glue for the mould. I made my seat to suit the original frame without adding to the frame, as this would require me to have the bike engineered where I am from, which would cost more than building the bike, ;)

If Roccity has the shape and style you are envisioning go for it. Sean has great quality stuff(nice, thick, strong seats) and is top notch with customer service. I am sure if you have questions he will help you out on here or through his site.
If he doesn't have the look you want building you own is an option. Is messy, may take multiple trys to perfect un;ess your really good with fiberglass, and in the long run may end up being more expensive than the RC seat in the end for inferior result. I have seen both done really well. My fiberglass skills still suck so you know which direction I went.

GK

The Herm seat build video is good for sure. The rear sets are nice just makes sure you know where youre going to mount them. The way I did it was sit on the bike and mark where my feet sat naturally in the position all together with the bars in place...if that makes sense.

+1^
DO NOT take the time to mount up your rearsets until you have the seat and bars on and set. You will need the correct positioning to setup the mounting as well as the linkages and pedal angles. Waiting till you have the package for dimensions will make it go much smoother.

If you need some help with marking, mounting, or linkages let me know and I can swing by to help you out if needed.

Gary

GK

Knowing that I'm a taller dude...what style of bars would MOST LIKELY fit me best. 6'4 with a 34" inseam.

Clipons offer the best range of movement, but clubmans would work, too. For your height, it isn't going to be so much about the bars as the location of the foot controls.

Those rearsets are designed to bolt straight onto the pillion peg mounts of a cb350 and the linkage kit is already set up for the position they bolt on in, I don't think you have much of a say where your foot position ends up. You can see by the pictures in the link.
http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/025-0-15.htm

You will notice these ones have a small amount of adjustment from the stock pillion position, http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/00xx4.htmPS the pillion peg position felt spot on for me, so I made my seat to suit this foot position,( which was another reason for making my seat ) and I am only a short bugger. ;)

Back
Top Bottom