1983 CM450E - Quick cleanup

Ease

83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
Hey folks, long time no projects. (School, Life, Living with the folks, etc.)
Finally picked up a cheap bike that I figure I can do a quick restore on, sell it to a friend or let someone else enjoy it for cheap.

Here's the bike as it sat for the last 4 years:

86F0BBF7-8FDC-4E4F-8904-9609431B710C.jpg

Its a 1983 CM450E... but at some point had the wheels and front end swapped out from a hawk... Which is great, because those pentagrams are awesome.

Brought it home knowing it needed at the very least a good cleanup and a battery... But that it had been ridden by an acquantance before being stored, and I trusted it would run.

43B8B7FC-AFF4-4FF5-A93E-B06CC92DB1DF.jpg

Definitely needs some new grips too...
1ABC073D-D986-4337-ABFC-570A544890C3.jpg

Starting to look decent after a cleanup:
6938A352-8889-42EA-9CA9-70C69B0291AE.jpg

860AA952-EC2E-4352-98CE-0EE7AA679083.jpg

0B24C16F-ED08-4895-8E80-22C36528CFFC.jpg

At this point it was time to get her running... I have a video but Photobucket isn't accepting it. I'll post later if it uploads.

After getting it running I replaced the plugs, changed the oil/filter, cleaned the air filter, checked and replaced bulbs, installed a new fuel line with an inline fuel filter.

Here are the new plugs after a test run:

Left:
E26523B6-0F41-4205-B11C-3DC5B916A9C8.jpg

Right:
BE693A21-94B3-4A00-9DB8-0305C317C4F9.jpg

Looks like she's running a little Lean.

Another problem is that the bike is starting on one cylinder... Going to take a look at the carbs to make sure they're nice and clean then replace the plug boots. Need to grab a compression tester too.

Re: Quick cleanup

Watch the right cylinder, I do not know why but they go lean and then if you are dumb like I was you run it at 6500 on the highway and blow a piston. Check the jets and make sure they are clean as well as float height. I have personally toasted a right cylinder and I have seen at least 3-4 other bikes it happened to. some folks got lucky and just heat seized at lower RPMs, most just had aluminum shoot all through the motor LOL. These are super easy to work on and fun little bikes once you shed some lbs. the cross over pipe under the bike weighs close to 30lbs I think.

Maritime said:
Watch the right cylinder, I do not know why but they go lean and then if you are dumb like I was you run it at 6500 on the highway and blow a piston. Check the jets and make sure they are clean as well as float height. I have personally toasted a right cylinder and I have seen at least 3-4 other bikes it happened to. some folks got lucky and just heat seized at lower RPMs, most just had aluminum shoot all through the motor LOL. These are super easy to work on and fun little bikes once you shed some lbs. the cross over pipe under the bike weighs close to 30lbs I think.

Great, thanks!! The right cylinder is running lean at the moment/not starting on it. I'll be sure to go through the carbs!

FYI, I haven't been around for a couple of years. So if there is a preferred spot for DTT'ers to get honda parts I'm all ears/into supporting how I can.

At the moment I'm planning on ordering a seat cover, some decals, a few odds and ends I may find locally.

Parts for this should be easy to get. They made a lot of variations and there are parts that swap and some that don't. OEM I used to get from a great local shop in Moncton when I lived there and I now use the local shop in Woodstock. Fairly cheap. As for aftermarket I tend to use ebay or Bikebandit etc. Usually check local first but internet can save you a lot of $$.

Cool thanks. So same old, bikebandit for oem, DCC for custom as always. Haha

Back
Top Bottom