My CB450 "No Class!" (Here we go again)

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
Not really sure what direction this is going to take but I'll stick it here for now. Posted on my Zook thread I had a lead on another bike. A friend told me another old friends Dad (get all that?) had picked one up as a project but lost interest. Went over to his place tonight and checked it out. Turns out it's a '72 CB450... When I got there the roller frame was setting outside, a box of parts and the engine were inside, head and jugs are off the case, and pistons were gone. So for $20 (twenty!) I loaded her up and Bada-bing Bada-boom, I got another way to occupy my time.
Story goes he got it from a guy who had tried to free up a stuck cylinder by pouring Pepsi in the spark plug hole and then let it set. Then sold it to the guy I got it from.
Upon getting it, he started the disassembly and even sourced a NOS sleeve for the damaged cylinder. We had to go to his office to pick up the sleeve because it was on his desk being used as a pencil holder with the $45 price tag still on it from an area Honda Dealer. :)
Amazing thing is the tires still had air, and the brakes were free so I easily rolled it right onto my truck and carried her home, unloaded it, took some pics and came in here to post.
Anyways, without further drivel... I present my latest project.

16,000 miles and the last time she was plated was 20 years ago... or is it 30??? I honestly think it says 1982!

Re: My CB450 Here we go again!

Looks like 92, I just picked up a CB550 today still wearing its tag from 89'.

With the name I take it you are in Indiana? I live SW of Indy.

Rick1981 said:
Looks like 92, I just picked up a CB550 today still wearing its tag from 89'.

With the name I take it you are in Indiana? I live SW of Indy.
Welcome to the forum Rick! You are right, I went back out to the shop and it is 1992. And yes I am in Indiana, a little north of you Ohio / Michigan corner. You can click on a members name and it will take you to their Profile page, where you can see their location on the map (if they set it up). There are quite a few in your neck of the woods.

Staffy said:
$20? Bargain.
I thought so Staff, but we will see. Could turn out to be a hole that I pour a bunch of money into. No hurry, I think I'm going to savor this one... use it for therapy to keep my mind clear, definitely cheaper than a Shrink.
I'm really getting the Zen thing going on when I am in the middle of a build, then once it's finished I start Jones'n for the next one. ;)

Hoosier Daddy said:
Could turn out to be a hole that I pour a bunch of money into. No hurry, I think I'm going to savor this one... use it for therapy to keep my mind clear, definitely cheaper than a Shrink.
I'm really getting the Zen thing going on when I am in the middle of a build, then once it's finished I start Jones'n for the next one. ;)

Aren't they all holes we pour money into?

And I can't believe you ain't jonesin' for a new project even when your halfway through the current one. I know I am. 2 years into the Bastardwing and I've already got plans for the CX650 and I wanna do a hardtail bike too...

You got that right! I seem to have got it bad... woke up at 4:00 am thinking about her... been out to the shop twice already... and it's only 6:30 !

Hoosier Daddy said:
You got that right! I seem to have got it bad... woke up at 4:00 am thinking about her... been out to the shop twice already... and it's only 6:30 !
Ha! I do the same thing. Except I work on my bikes at work, so I go into work around 4am. Then I have to look at it all day while I'm at work. It does make the time go by faster, but it does suck because it's within arms reach and I can't really touch it. Good thing the guy I work with likes to talk about it with me. He always asks what I'm going to do next and shows interest.

The miracle you performed on the Suki, this should be no problem for you. Looking forward to the build Hdaddy.

First of all Hoosier I'm not sure when you went to that avatar (I'm slightly unobservant) but I freakin love it.
Second, what a score! I love a good 450. Just a great looking motor and a nice clean frame. I'm sure you'll do great things with her. I understand the projectitis, I've got a severe case myself. I've got four now. Dolores is sitting in a state of near completion waiting on me to get some non bike projects done. Then my Goldwing, then my cb350, then the rebel bob. And now you've got me itching for a 450. Any more detail on tentative plans? I love the exhaust on the powder coat or polish 450 that zonda did, especially the use of the early cb750 exhaust shields, I've wondered why no one else has tried this as it just looked like it belonged there. Anyway I can't wait to see where you go with this one dude.

Thanks guys we will see if I can pull a rabbit out of my ass on this one. Deviant1 you made me chuckle.
Went out to the shop, started clearing off bench space, As I unpacked the one and only box that came with this one... no carbs damnit. I am going to go back and ask it the PO has them... since he got it from some other schmuck, who knows.
But with all the stuff missing, who would have thought this would be there?

Friggin full tool kit still in the pouch inside the can... amazing. I'll probably clean it up and list it on e-bay for the purists. Engine seems complete. But that cylinder sleeve, even tough labeled for a 450 isn't for this 450, top flange is much too small compared to what mine look like. Oh well, another thing to e-bay I guess. It might do pretty well being a mint NOS 450 sleeve especially if I determine what years it fits.
I had turned on the tunes while I was out there and when Motorhead came on the i-pod, it hit me like a ton-o-bricks...so sticking with my theme,
Shut up, you talk too loud!
You don't fit in with the crowd.
No Class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJ5dtF6X4I

Another Motorhead bike? Hahahahahahaha!!!! Crackup.

0b73_1.jpg

So, my challenge to you is to include some sort of homage to the great Lemmy on this bike.

A nice challenge... Easily accomplished with a DTT spade somewhere. Just a single one as in the ace of...

Piece-o-cake! we have a vinyl plotter here at work that I did the logo's on BOMBER with...

Sure the Ace of spades would be nice like this...

24708-1-400x400.jpg

But I would like try to duplicate the Warpig.

motorhead-logo.jpg

Hoosier Daddy said:
Piece-o-cake! we have a vinyl plotter here at work that I did the logo's on BOMBER with...

Sure the Ace of spades would be nice like this...

24708-1-400x400.jpg

But I would like try to duplicate the Warpig.

motorhead-logo.jpg

If you were gonna go street fighter that'd make a nice headlight cowling... of course you'd have to get some fluffy foam version to stick over your helmet to match... 8)

Back
Top Bottom