Buying Honda CB250 1975

Buying 1975 Honda CB250 unfinished project bike

• Total voters

waldo101

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some help, i might be swapping my CB100 for a CB250 1975. It is a half finished Cafe racer with an extended swing-arm, i will attach a picture. the guy said it was running perfectly when he took it apart to paint and comes with all the parts and spares to put it back together. is there anything that I should be aware about on these bikes? I am trying to get a daily commuter that will be reliable, any opinion will be appreciated.

Attachments

• $_20.png
    $_20.png
    461.2 KB · Views: 552
basically an under-bored cb360 - lots of cool for these bikes I love them.
problems I think are top end oiling issues common with these motors - make sure it turns over nicely.

be aware that it's a project and nothing the previous owner did will have been done correctly or completely.

"running when parked" is dangerous

it also has an extended swing arm so i will need an extended rear brake rod and chain and comes with all the parts to get it running. i just don't want another money pit as thats what my CB100 has been

He said it was running before he stripped down to do paint and to do the custom seat. it looks to be in good condition on the outside. He said he hasn't got time anymore to do it up so i said id swap my running Honda CB100 for it and said yes. He was originally selling the project bike for $1000 (Australia)

I don't think someone would put that much effort into a bike if the engine was seized but thats my personal opinion, what do you guys think?

Does anyone know where i could find an online workshop manual for this bike?

You can download the manual here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qxptnimmpakpaiq/CB360.zip
Good luck with it!

If you don't want another money pit you're probably gonna wanna buy a running rideable bike. Buying a complete unknown "ran when parked" is almost guaranteed to need some $$$'s thrown at it.

That being said, if all the major components are there and the motor isn't stuck, it probably won't be a whole lot of $$$'s, just time to get it back together. Which is odd that someone would go through all that effort and then when the end is in sight offload the thing as a project instead of just finishing it. Makes me wonder if there's an issue he's aware of or if he's just given up on the thing (been in that boat before)

That's exactly it. "Just dont have time anymore" usually means "something is wrong with it, I have no idea what, and don't want to mess with it... let it be someone else's problem"

Sent from my SM-G955U using DO THE TON mobile app

It would be a brave move, but if it was me and it was a swap of toys and I had a daily car to drive and a garage to work in, I’d do it.
Looks like it could be a cool bike.

coyote13 said:
If you don't want another money pit you're probably gonna wanna buy a running rideable bike. Buying a complete unknown "ran when parked" is almost guaranteed to need some $$$'s thrown at it.

^^ this.

Even if this truly is as he says, there are going to be the little things that nickel and dime you on this type of bike, just putting it back together.

I suspect that he wants to swap so that he gets your running bike that he can ride and you get the money pit. Just sayin'

Who extended the swingarm and why? There is no good reason to do that, so to start with you need a swingarm.

"Used to run" is usually code for used to run when it was manufactured, but not any more. Doesn't mean it won't run, but you need a bike that runs NOW that you can take out and ride and have some fun - though you are going into winter soon. I would see what's around in the Trading Times or local bike shops. What state are you living in? Melbourne has some good bike shops still. Other states must as well.

Or check out a 125cc ACE or used 250 Hyosung GT250R

Okay, I traded a running DR350 for a non-running F650st that ended up needing a rebuild. He probably got the better end of the deal, as far as straight sell value goes, but...

1. I wanted a bike with a title. Got it.
2. I wanted a street legal bike. Got it.
3. I wanted a more cc's. Got them.
4. I've wanted a Rotax motor. Got it.
5. I wanted a bike I could flat foot. Got it.
6. I wanted a bike I could build into a good dual sport. Got it.
7. He wanted a pure dirt bike. Got it.

I am very happy with my deal. I traded a bike that sells around here for $1500 plus for a bike that at the time was worth $800 max. I invested under $1k into that DR. Restored and rebuilt, I could get $2500 for mine or more. Instead, I built a custom to my own specs. I am very happy with the deal. I got something I wanted. He got something he wanted. Good, good. It doesn't always come down to dollars and cents.

I don't mind spending a couple hundred, first thing ill do is check the compression and cam chain to make sure its okay. he extended the swing arm but said i can have the stock one too. Yes its coming into winter here so if the bike is being worked on for 3 or 4 months it doesn't bother me even if i have to take my time. i know its gonna be a big project that has its headaches but it may be worth it in the end. I love to tinker and the workshop manual shows every step to stripping the engine down if i needed too but fingers crossed that i don't. He first said that he didn't want to swap and needed the space but he also wanted to finish his motorcycle learners so there may be nothing wrong with the bike and he may be telling the truth saying he has no time. I will have a look at it and see if i want to take the gamble or not and i will definitely have a look through the parts he is giving me to make sure that everything that come off the bike before he started is there.

waldo101 said:
Yes its coming into winter here so if the bike is being worked on for 3 or 4 months it doesn't bother me even if i have to take my time.

Winter in Australia, that's just wearing a jumper when you go riding...(unless you're in Tasmania)

Go for it, you wanted something to commute on, that'll be a whole lot better than your CB100.

Back
Top Bottom