'81XS650 used to be a chop. ♡♥♡♥♡

Re: '81 XS650 short chop - "Schizophrenic"

Nice Mike, can you leave it bare metal? I like the look of it the way it is, although no one has a good way to keep the rust off so not likely to work. maybe you can paint it to look like raw steel. then put a few stickers on it.

Looks like a awesome project. I'm in for the ride!

Maritime said:
Nice Mike, can you leave it bare metal? I like the look of it the way it is, although no one has a good way to keep the rust off so not likely to work. maybe you can paint it to look like raw steel. then put a few stickers on it.

I see what you're saying... But I really like paint. Haha. I have a couple good ideas... :)

Looks like pretty clean metal......I recommend Duplicolor Metalcast with no primer.

:)

Big Rich said:
Looks like pretty clean metal......I recommend Duplicolor Metalcast with no primer.

:)

You do love that stuff, don't ya? ;)

So I now have my tank, hardtail, tank mounting kit, my seat is being held at the Post Office (stuuuupid Post Office) but should be here tomorrow, and most other parts to actually start getting real shit done on this bike. I told the bar that I'm done working there after this weekend as well. Ill miss the cash, buuutt... Life is really suffering (as well as my ability to build some coolness) and the extra time working at (and just being in) the bar is the main reason for that,so its all for the best. Next up? Sawzall time. :)

'81 XS650 short chop - "Schizophrenic"

Cool man I'm excited to see if come together.
Working at a bar is a blast and a curse at the same time. Turns normal people into alcoholics hahah.

SONICJK said:
Cool man I'm excited to see if come together.
Working at a bar is a blast and a curse at the same time. Turns normal people into alcoholics hahah.

Ummmm then what's it do to us alcoholics??/....eh never mind i think I know.

Parts selection is looking good so far Mike. Now start getting that thing chopped. :)

Gary

SONICJK said:
Turns normal people into alcoholics hahah.

Then what would it do to someone like Mike!? I shudder to think.

LOL, glad to hear you are going to get some quality time with a bunch of metal bits to turn into a rad machine. It is hard to get time when life gets in the way, but time with a bike makes life better so you need it too.

So... I still haven't had time to cut anything. Was planning on it this evening, but my trucks brake line decided to disintegrate on my way home. So after collecting all the bits to fix it, then realizing that I need some tools that are at work (30 min away) I said "fuck this". So I thought, hell... The tank isn't getting modified/welded/cut/drilled, I'll make it purdy. So... Its primed.

20130826_195649.jpg

Wet sanded and drying. I wanted to get the base coat down, but ran out of sunlight.

This will be the final basecoat color:

20130826_165754.jpg

There will be some fun stuff happening after the base is down, but that'll have to wait.

So, there's my weekly bullshit non-post. Hopefully something cool and actually productive will happen soon. ;)

Nice colour! When does the welding begin?

Re: Re: '81 XS650 short chop - "Schizophrenic"

VonYinzer said:
So... I still haven't had time to cut anything. Was planning on it this evening, but my trucks brake line decided to disintegrate on my way home. So after collecting all the bits to fix it, then realizing that I need some tools that are at work (30 min away) I said "fuck this". So I thought, hell... The tank isn't getting modified/welded/cut/drilled, I'll make it purdy. So... Its primed.

20130826_195649.jpg

Wet sanded and drying. I wanted to get the base coat down, but ran out of sunlight.

This will be the final basecoat color:

20130826_165754.jpg

There will be some fun stuff happening after the base is down, but that'll have to wait.

So, there's my weekly bullshit non-post. Hopefully something cool and actually productive will happen soon. ;)
That is a great color. Same base I used on Little Wing.

I'm colorblind and it looks good.

Well don't be cooling your heels. I know winter starts in about two days up there in the frozen north.

So... Got some real deal shit done today. Fuck you suspension... Haha.

20130829_164926.jpg

Then I got the old hardtail stuck in place. After staring at it a bit I thought, this thing needs some muscle, so this happened:

20130829_181527.jpg

I coukdnt even get my shit old Sears buzzbox to run so its all just sitting there at the moment. I'll get it tacked together, and when I can get together with Brad, finish welded. After that I have about 30lbs of crap to cut/grind off the stock section amd some new lower rear motor mounts to fab up. Anyone who's ever pulled an XS motor out of a frame knows that they're a bitch, so I'm making removeable ones to make life easier. That's all for today kids. The dinner bells ringin'.

The dinner bell ringin = matts zipper broke

Back
Top Bottom