1983 GL1100 muscle bob

started swapping things out, and something peculiar happened. Everytime i went to turn the engine over, it turned slower and slower. It was almost like the battery was getting drained farther and farther. I have a new battery (fresh) and it sits on a battery tender. After every time i cranked the engine, the battery tender would show a full charge, but the battery acted like it was dead. I check the charge on the battery with a tester and it has full charge. now the engine wont even turn over and i get a loud click from the solenoid. It was doing this before, but the new battery fixed that. Also, i tried jumping the terminals on the solenoid and nothing happens. Ive also recently rebuilt the starter with a rebuild kit.

Help!

pull the plug on the alternator cover and using a 17mm socket see if you can turn the motor over

turn the bolt clockwise only

if the motor turns free then you need a new starter (i never rebuild them they dont work as the field coils burn)

go to

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-6641-new-honda-gl-1100-gold-wing-starter-gl1100-80-81-82-83-goldwing.aspx

these guys are awesome and fasssst

engine turns over just fine when hand cranking it. So the starter rebuild kit was a waste of money then?

i gave up trying to rebuild them years and years ago

its the coils that go then they either do what you are seeing or they start fine cold but when

they get hot they crank over slow like the battery is dead then the customer has to sit and let the bike cool

for 30-45 mins before it will start

that happened to me personally once and after a shop rebuild to a few customers and i just never did it again

i can buy a new one for the same as the rebuild kit and labor and they just work for years

+ 1 to what Murray is saying, I bought that starter after having the same issues you are, cold starts fine hot motor had to push start, not fun. Put one of those starters in just before a 3500 mile trip to Barber in AL and it worked awesome.

New starter in, and i gotta say holy crap! the old starter was REALLY tired! this new starter cranks it 10 times faster than that old one. Hope to get some good work in on it over the next few days

db electrical is a awesome supplier the service they give me is a pleasure

glad you got it on and working

So the starter is great! however, now the bike is being a pain and not wanting to start... sigh... this thing, i tell ya! probably just bad gas and a carb cleaning.

Akastus, if you haven't already go to Randakks cycle shack website, he has a "New to you" GL section with all the things to check for a good first startup etc.

Good luck and glad the starter is working, mine has for 6K miles and counting.

Ok, carbs rebuilt with a whole bunch of new everythings! bike starts with a little coaxing, and is REALLY slow to rev. As in, i give it full throttle, and it slowly creeps up the RPMs. Never had that happen before, any ideas?

did you get the video or a book?

did you ultrasonic the carbs or just do a flush

did the slides move freely (air test them ?)

no video or book. I did a full rebuild on them (air cut off diaphrams, floats, float needles, jets, float bowl o rings, air fuel mixture screws, needles, polished the slides and their joining surfaces, etc)

Looks like it was air fuel screws. I really should make a habit of double checking my work when something isnt right

AAAAAAAAAAnnnnnnnd now its oil in the coolant! I guess its time for a headgasket... this bike, I swear

weep hole is clear. I took the heads off. Last time i dealt with a blown headgasket on anything was in the late 90s!

Well this is the easiest motor to do headgaskets if you have too. Some small things to be careful of but I have done 5 different motors and this was by far the easiest.

Oh yeah, when mine shit the bed the bike would still do 100 mph on the freeway until it ran out of coolant, stop refill drive again. I did almost 200 miles until I finally had to stop when the coolant just poured out the tail pipes lol.

Back
Top Bottom