Noob GN400 Project

Madmannc

....so I wanted to face my fears and finally learn to ride.

I searched CL for an inexpensive bike (like a Honda rebel or something) and came across an old, beat-to-hell rustbucket of a non-working GN400 that have been outside under a tarp for seven years. And after looking on some forums trying to learn about this particular bike, I found that so many people turn these bikes into awesome projects! So naturally I started over-romanticizing the build, and HAD to get it...

So I checked it out: engine still turned, and looked simple enough for a novice like me to work on. A little money later and I was dragging home this turd, along with boxes of old parts, new parts, two extra tanks, and a maintenance workbook for a awesome winter project:

20141124_080846_zps2jxhvi3v.jpg

Got to work on it, first rebuilding the front brake caliper & new pads...then rebuilt the carb, sandblasted and cleaned the tank, new ignition coil, new rectifier, new turn signal relay, new turn signals, new brake light, new drive chain, new muffler....I also did a quick chop of the back frame and made a basic brat-style seat out of a skateboard, some harbor freight floor mats and some faux croc-skin vinyl (heres to my 6th grade home-ec class teaching me to loop-stitch)...new tires too! Guess I'm going for a brat-café thing, but this looks more in the vein of "chop" or "rat"

20150228_102944_zps6genmmye.jpg

20150228_102955_zpshhtknz13.jpg

So obviously I have more to do; weld a hoop on the frame, make a better seat, lose the airbox and do the pod filter thing, and eventually take it all apart and de-rust it. But she runs great, and I want to put some miles on her before I take her apart. Got my permit, and she'll be inspected and registered next week! I plan on taking the safety course too, since I tend to err on the side of safety.

Just wanted to show this and thank forums like this for giving ideas and helping noobs like me on this adventure!

Shes looking cool man! Im doin similar things with my GN. Look forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about it as you go!

so I know y'all have been chopping at the friggin bit to see how this one is going....

finally got the pod filters in, a basic emgo and a little guy for the breather. I also changed the main jet to a 150 (because SCIENCE, not because I read that other guys did that)...runs really well.

bitching battery box, huh? This'll work until I get my friend to fab one up for me (pop rivets and pull-ties). I went without a battery at first, but then figured that I would appreciate knowing where neutral is next time I stall out at a busy intersection.

I had lowered the original handlebars towards me to keep the look but still maintain a level of "comfort", but I had a drag bar already on order before I did that. So it came in, and I was like f*ck it LETS TRY IT! Also got rid of my ugly mirrors and put these lower profile guys on...I must say that the drag bar handles better than I thought it would.

So next is obviously get a battery box, then remove the tabs for the airbox. Then I was thinking about lowering the forks in the tree by like 1" or 1.5". I really dig the look of a brat/cafe but I really dont want to cross into dangerous "handling" territory just for lines, which I think dropping the forks would do. I know y'all probably think that the speedo/odo/gear display is ugly, but I kinda like knowing what gear I'm in (like I said before I'm new at this and still learning the "feel" of everything).
But all these can wait because I'm having such a blast riding it. Maybe I'll take it apart and detab/paint in the winter...

This bike is the most hipster thing I've ever done.

This is more like it:

Dropped the forks in the triple tree, got rid of the god-awful headlight mount and replaced it with those cool cheap clipons:

The lines are so much better, gotta figure out a few things with the wiring but I think the mods are done for a while.

nice scooter :-/

A couple small changes....

Had to throw some epoxy on the tank emblem mount area becuase of a small leak. Then it looked like crap so I painted it. Put the emplems back on to cover up the epoxy slather. Doesnt look bad, but certainly killed the brushed metal look that I was going for. Oh well, the tank doesnt leak anymore so thats the important thing.
Also chopped the front fender back and put it back on. I like the chopped look; I may round the edges later though. Also grabbed a leather tool bag off the bay so now I dont have to carry a backpack full of tools.

The skateboard seat is working fine, but I'm thinking about doing a fiberglass mold seat....thoughts?

Made a café seat using one of the old tanks...anybody interested in that particular build can check it out in the Tanks/Seats forum...

Back
Top Bottom