"Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

Re: "Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

1sttimer said:
Eh, not really interested in a scooterish look.

I took it out for my first go at the bike, and immediately regret it when I hit the road. I'm tired of cleaning off the back of my engine and swingarm, unnecessarily avoiding puddles...etc. This is an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you misunderstood, I think it looks more scooterish with it not without. Anyhow, I haven't really had that problem with puddles, usually only go out on nice sunny days.

jag767 said:
Think you misunderstood, I think it looks more scooterish with it not without. Anyhow, I haven't really had that problem with puddles, usually only go out on nice sunny days.

I disagree on looking like a scooter with a mud guard :)

I live in NC, man. Those nice sunny summer days can throw down a rainstorm in one second flat.

a04ad60362f9c7d504666c970a46dfff.jpg

Alright fellas, after 4 years it's time to call it done.

87400aa31f59206dc2d26a4f1141487c.jpg

82a2e053a24cde435a0930070bf8417c.jpg

Scooterish - FFS. Like this
006_3A_zpsl5mzek82.jpg

or this
CB%20160%20Belly%201_zpsappyxhe6.jpg

or this
VPT677_May72_02_zpsxnx9s5aa.jpg

With all dues respect, that is is a very silly comment that comes from spending too much time drinking the pipeburn et al B/S and too little time actually riding a bike. Bikes get wet and dirty if you ride them and removing fenders is just not an intelligent thing to do.

Doesn't matter if it's a race bike or a street bike, it needs suitable fenders. I prefer them to be small, light and effective enough. I don't need full valanced fenders, but to not have them would be pretty much nuts. I prefer to ride on sunny days too but tires still pick up stones and dust and other debris and sprays that all over the motor and into the carbs.

isttimer has it spot on correct.

Yes, fenders! You know, when they are on RACE bikes, they are there for a seriously good reason. I have always thought bikes looked really great (improved) without them, but after trying it out myself long ago, I can't get over only seeing a pretty but impractical machine. Really nice bike and well done though - I know very well how tricky it is to keep that vibe while including the fenders.

I don't know if the front fender (fork brace - let's be real here) is "just big enough" but I haven't really noticed any debris flying up and hitting me in the chin. I do have a full front fender that I've debated putting on, and just never get around to powder coating it. It's straight but crusty.

I haven't been caught in a rain storm yet, but when I do Ill surely be be bolting up that fender immediately I'm sure, crusty or not. The inner rear fender has saved me a lot of engine cleaning though. I dig that. I can only imagine what would get in an open velocity stack. I'm glad I went away from that idea

Looks real nice! Fenders or not haha. I too just can't get behind them, but I guess all it takes is one bad experience to change that opinion.

Any plans for what's next to wrench on? Or shall this beast keep you content for a while longer?

First: set float level the usual way with floats just touching the float valve.

Second: fit carbs on bike and turn fuel on and check for fuel weeping out of the pilot jet outlets and adjust float levels as required to minimize that.

On a race bike the fuel tap is only on when it's running and it never runs slowly enough to be an issue. On the street with lots of stop lights or really slow riding it would probably be necessary to run a lower fuel level and adjust jetting to compensate.

But to set the float level, just the same as ever.

Back
Top Bottom