73 CB100 Tracker Build

Also check to make sure the exhaust isn't plugged up at all. I was just looking at mine the other day and the stocker I had hanging from the rafters of my garage had become home to a number of wasp nests. Can't imagine that would be helping the exit flow of hot gas very well!

I was thinking about that, but it sounds like the bike isnt getting enough gas.

I tossed that filter out and got a UMI Filter, I have read on another build that it seemed to help. The other build also had an elbow as well which I think I will try.

I feel that the bike should still run better than it current does even with air box issue.

Thanks for the input.

If I was betting it's an airflow issue, which essentially means you're not getting enough fuel. Since the intake is starving the carburetor it isn't able to push as much air/fuel into the combustion chamber. I don't really think you can jet your way around that, if it is indeed an intake issue.

Love this build! Have a 1972 model I saved from a barn where it has been setting since the late 70's. Going to fix it up with my son and he can ride it to school! Awesome build!

Clean little build man. Do you have any photos of how you fabricated the electronics tray and how it is mounted?

Right, so thinking about your issue a little more. Have you actually measured the jets you ordered? There's apparently quite a lot of variance between different mfgs and even though the little buggers are stamped with the right number, they may not be correct. A drill bit would probably suffice to compare how close your stock jets are to the new ones.

May also want to check that you have a good seal between your carb and boot, and the boot and head. Get her running and spray a little WD-40 around the boot, if there's a leak it should be pretty obvious as your RPM's will increase fairly immediately. A vacuum leak could lead to the problems you're describing as well.

BwStew - Thanks man, these are fun a build cant wait to finally tweak the settings and get her finished.

Luugo86 - Appreciate it. I can take some photos of the tray. I just cut cardboard pieces and tapped them together to get the fit and the I actually decided to weld the box into the frame. Much cleaner on the outside than the inside.

Coyote13 - Thanks for the brain storming, its much appreciated. I have been talking with some friends who have mentioned the same thing. Haven't had a chance to bring it back down and try that. Seems to make sense. I saw on 45exmayer's thread that he added a little hose to create a longer separated airflow. I ordered a 38mm intake turbo hose to try and make something similar. I will test all of this and report back. I havent even opened up the new jets, Ill try one thing at a time.

Update - As I am waiting to finish tweaking the settings on the bike, I sent my seat to the upholstery shop. I should hopefully have it back this week. I stripped the tank paint and decided to go with a brushed look and clear it. Not too bad, in the home stretch now.

Attachments

• IMG_2718[1].jpg
    IMG_2718[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 330
I didn't document the tank work, I did a little bit on my instagram story but didn't end up saving it which is a bit of a bummer when looking back. Been trying to just get the bike wrapped up.

I switched up the air filter again, think it will help. Havent had a chance to fire it up again to check but I will in a week or so. I will post pictures soon.

I did get my seat done, or almost... went to pick it up and found the upholster messed up the rear pattern. Its suppose to be vertical with all color instead of just the blue, he is going to have another go at it. You can see the original material below the seat for reference.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 321
Thanks for the feedback! I figured that I have been working on this thing for almost three years now, might as well get the seat the way I want it. Pretty happy with the seat overall though. Cant wait to see it on the bike.

travisvisual said:
Thanks for the feedback! I figured that I have been working on this thing for almost three years now, might as well get the seat the way I want it. Pretty happy with the seat overall though. Cant wait to see it on the bike.

Dude the build is looking great. I like the seat as is and I think you’re right about the pattern change to show more colors.
I really got to hand it to you. Because, I got keep things moving to maintain my level of interest in a project. 3 years I would’ve had that thing buried under a pile of the other unfinished and forgotten projects. Good job keeping w it and keeping up the good work. Excited to see the finish.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Hoping to finally ride this thing more than just down the street soon. I had my first kid not too long after i started and time just slips away faster than you think. Plus my wife wont let me get a new project until i finish this one haha...

Here is some photos of my air filter extension, hoping this will help a bit. From what I have seen/read it should help. Seat should be done in the next few days...

Attachments

• IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 317
travisvisual said:
I had my first kid not too long after i started and time just slips away faster than you think.

Feels like my daughter was 9yo just yesterday....now she is married.

Had a mechanic come over the other day to help me get the last few bugs out.... Here is what he came up with..

Points were old, replace - Easy
Original carb had a throttle jet logged/stuck/broken off inside - replace - sucks trying to find a decent one
Timing chain, too loud / old / stretched - Replace - This sucks since I have to re open the motor again

We did get the motor running decently well but not good enough, a bit bummed.

Even though I still dont have a running bike....the seat is done! Pretty pumped on how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg