1973 RD350

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I just acquired this 1973 RD350. It's my first ever two stroke and I'm clueless.

It's nice, but not so nice that I can't do some minor mods. It runs great (man...that kick in the pants when you get it past 5K RPM!), but will run even better when I get rid of the old gas and clean the carbs.
I know you can get as wild as you want with mods on these things. I'm not going there....at least not yet. I'm kinda thinking about a somewhat period bike, like, what would it have been like in '74?
I have some vintage Magura bars and want some cool pipes.

I'll forgo the $700-1,000+ hydroformed chambers, but are the cheapo DG pipes any good at all? I don't plan on any porting or anything like that. It has a K&N filter in the stock air box and I know I'll probably have to rejet a little bit. That's it....that's fine by me.
I would LOVE to keep the center stand (weight savings be damned), so that limits my choices. I would also prefer to NOT have to run rear sets at this time.

Can you guys walk a total RD/2-stroke newbie through this?

As a former RD400, RZ350, and currently RZ350 F2 owner, I'd leave it bone stock.

It looks like you've got a very clean bike.

I'm not a DG fan. The looks fit the period. Performance is okay.

Personally I like Spec II. The pipes pull well and have a nice over run.

For the airbox, leave it alone. What you have is good. Is the lid still on the airbox? If not remove it and keep the K&N inside of it.

Suspension and brakes are your best bang for the buck. Back in the day we ran Koni's and Progressive Suspension springs. Today Check with Race Tech for springs and Gold Valves. It will go a long way to improve handling.

And of course new tires, Avon Roadriders AM 26, Pirelli 45, and Continental Super Attacks all come in the stock sizes. Whatever you do, keep the stock sized tires! Bigger ones will made the bike feel like a brick!

Have fun! :) And keep us updated.

There is no lid on the air box. Speaking of....where would the stock tool kit go, if there was one.

It definitely needs tires. These are new....as I almost no miles....but cracked from sitting. That was negotiated into the deal and is in the budget.

Do the Spec II pipes retain the center stand? Require rear sets?

I'll second XVracer's input to avoid chopping that bike up. It's rare to see one in that condition these days. And the same goes for the DG's. There an ok cheapish option but are not a real performance design. The Spec2's are great, and there is a version made for the stock pegs, but I'm fairly certain the center stand has to go. Not a big deal IMO, get a stand if you want to be able to service the bike upright. That's a really nice RD you've got there. It'll be a fun ride.
Plenty of fast race bikes back in the day had to use the stock pipes (production classes) with the baffle removed and all the porting and head work done up full race. That would be a cool sleeper concept, and easily but back to stock if you modded a spare set of cylinders and heads. Wheelie city.

Immediate plans are fresh gas and clean the carbs. It's been suggested that I re-torque the head, too.

If I do make changes, they'll be reversible. I'm looking at JL pipes because they retain the center and side stand and, I think, work with stock foot pegs.

The Surgeon General warns that smoking is addictive.
Welcome to the Darkside ;)

JL chambers are very nice, but, just my take here, they will stick out like a sore thumb. To my eye they have a serious GP look, whereas the bike is classic 1970's look.

Food for thought.

Scott,
What the other kids already said: leave it stock - cosmetically, at least. It's a beautiful bike as it is.
You could do a fork rebuild (springs, seals), tapered steering head bearings, bronze swing arm bushings, improve the ignition and install better rear shocks (but keep the stockers for shows) and have a great bike for blasting around on and still look bone stock.
If you want / need an aircleaner lid, I'll see if I can find one in my pile of old RD bits and give it to you if you pay me for shipping - but one of my vague recollections from the '70's was leaving the lid off was a cheap way to increase airflow.
A gent by the name of Scott Clough built one of these things that got 127 mph with modified mufflers and I think the build article from Cycle Magazine is posted on the web someplace.
If you want to build a modified, find a cobby one like I did and go from there.
Great bike.
Enjoy the ride
Pat.

Hey Scott! It's Kiley, just creeping on your thread! You've come to the right place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. It's getting clearer and clearer that this one should stay much like it is.

Wow, is that as clean in real life as it looks in the picture? That's a really nice example.

JL and Spec 11 are great pipes but DG are great value for the small amount of cash and they work well with light porting. I always wanted hack open a pair of mufflers and build chambers inside - just like Gary from Spec11 did all those years ago for a stock look and lots of HP.

With that bike, I'd fit tires and ignition upgrades and ride it and polish and repeat.

teazer said:
Wow, is that as clean in real life as it looks in the picture? That's a really nice example.

With that bike, I'd fit tires and ignition upgrades and ride it and polish and repeat.

Not quite. I'd say it's a real nice rider.
And that's getting more and more to be the plan.

teazer said:
I always wanted hack open a pair of mufflers and build chambers inside - just like Gary from Spec11 did all those years ago for a stock look and lots of HP.
Then there's that. ;D

Back
Top Bottom