Vermont registration by mail

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
It works.

TOTALLY legal, relatively inexpensive (just under $200), fairly quick (if you have all the paperwork correct).

Just got my new plate for a '70 Bonneville I bought in 1982 with no title. I had to re-submit with ONE additional piece of paper (local VIN inspector's letterhead), took an extra 10 days. Otherwise it would have taken just under 2 weeks. Forms didn't even have to be notarized.

6% sales tax is the same as Texas, but the actual application and registration is over $100 less, and the Texas title hearing process for untitled bikes now takes 90 days.

That's great it worked for you!! Now if you can get an actual paper title for it in your state I may pay you to get me some titles ;)

Indiana has made things so hard lately I don't even try anymore... Titled over 50 bikes before July 2014 with little to no issues. Now it's near impossible unless you go to small claims court or have the "previous owner" "sign" some documents....

Indiana is a "title" state. You have to have a title regardless of year to have it registered and plated in Indiana. You can't have out of state plates as a resident for more than 90 days. You can't get a title for something without a previous title to sign over, other states registrations won't work to get a "fresh or new" title..

Some states this may still work but in indiana you have to have a title or in the end it's wasted money for an out of state plate you'd be lucky to get 90 days out of without getting hassled.

Mark, out of curiosity... Wjat would happen if you lived in VT or a similar no title state and moved to Indiana? How would you title the bike?

You'd have to go to small claims court and file for ownership of the vehicle through affidavit.. The only way... And a pita.

I live in Wisconsin. I've used Vermont a dozen times. Works every time. Once I get the Vermont registration paperwork, I mail everything in to Wisconsin, with a Wisconsin application. Three weeks later, an official Wisconsin title in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom