SR 250 question

Terence

Hi guys,

Just picked up Yamaha SR250 with 16000km on the clock, was part of someones collection and stood for quite some time im assuming due to the low mileage and the great condition it is in. All the chrome bits are perfect, seat is perfect, engine is super clean still. Only the tank has a few scratches and dings and a few rust spots but nothing major.

My only concern, when I ride the bike, it kind of lags to gain speed as if its starved of fuel or air but once at higher rpm it pulls well again. I had a brainspark idea to remove the cover on the side of the airbox yesterday and rode it to work and back, approx. 50km round trip and it pulled so much better. I did check the air filter and its not blocked up or dirty. Its still pretty much brand new. So when I got home last night put the cover back on the air box and this morning it was back to struggling to gain speed until higher revs.

Could this be due to a blocked jet in the carb or maybe a too small jet in the carb?

I am planning on doing a street tracker build with this bike but looking to keep the stock airbox so that I don't need to make a new battery box or any major mods. Plan is to be able to put it back to stock if I wanted to. Will be buying longer rear shocks, mx bars, fabricating a new seat pan and changing the exhaust to a slightly louder one (this is for safety reasons, I stay in South Africa and people cant drive here so id like them to be able to hear me as the stock SR exhaust is very quiet). With that will come a few odds and ends that will be changed like mirrors, rear light and indicators.

Sorry for the novel LOL.

Thanks for any advice.

I would check your carburetor for clogging;I would remove the fuel tank and flush it out after removing the fuel valve/petcock and taking it apart to clean.A new air filter element will help also,especially if it's a paper filter.When a bike has been sitting for a while the carburetor usually needs complete disassembly and a full & proper cleaning of all the components including the jets,etc.

Awesome thank you for the advice. It is a foam type filter. The bike was bought via a bike shop but im not sure if the carb was cleaned or anything was checked on the bike before it was sold. The first day I had the bike I already got stuck with a blown main fuse. Luckily the owner of the bike shop was close by to where I got stuck, he came and loaded me up and they sorted the issue at his shop and I haven't had issues since touch wood and I have been riding the bike daily.

If it runs well with the side of the airbox off, maybe make sure the intake to the airbox hasn't been pinched or clogged before you take everything else apart.

Back
Top Bottom