CL360 running like crap, what jets should I buy for carbs?

lipuid

Been Around the Block
74 360, 4" uni filters, free flowing shorty emgo mufflers.

I think I need to buy some jets and put them in right? It has like NO POWER and I can barley get out of 2nd gear.
Since buying the bike this is the first time I have tried to ride it, so maybe the points are bad? They are stock /timing too and never touched though.

Anyways, I think it has a "flat spot" starting from 2-3k RPM and has NO power from there.

Where is a good place to buy the jets I need? Any help is super greatly positivley appreciated. I am overwhelmed at trying to understand search results. Thank You.

I believe these are my stock specs.
Also, when I took the carbs apart to clean them, on the jets I used a flathead screwdriver to remove. I sort of damaged them by overtightening. Right where the flathead slit is, I bent the brass. Could this be a problem do you think?

Stock 360? - what should I change to?

CL360
Carb # 747B
Venturi Bore 28mm
Main Jet Primary #68 Secondary #68
Air Jet Primary #150 Secondary #50
Pilot Air Jet #85
Pilot Jet #35
Pilot Screw (turns out) 1
Float Level 18.5mm or .73"

It's pretty common on these, actually. The way the wires route to the points, the connectors easily hit the cover. Usually, if they're grounding they leave a mark that looks like a ding on the inside of the cover. You can run it with the cover off to test it out if you're not sure. Basically, when it happens the bike wants to bog down as a cylinder drops from loss of spark and the bike won't go above 2 or 3k rpm. To fix it, you can double up on the gaskets, paint the inside of the cover with liquid tape, or take a die grinder and carve away at the bottom of the inside of the cover.

Come to think of it, earlier today I had the points cover off while I was running it, and it didnt make a difference.

So I think I need to re jet it.

Where to buy the jets, which ones should I buy too? tyia! Help!

With altered intake and short mufflers you're never going to get it running awesome, but you might get "good enough" from it.

Take the secondary mains jet to 120 or so and that should be close enough to improve things.

That said, be sure to rule out compression and ignition timing before you even take the carbs off.

Thank you Sonreir. So I just need to purchase 120 secondary mains. That's the only one? Where do you recc. I buy those at?

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/honda_360_CB360G_1974.htm

It says they're main jets, but they're not. Those are the secondary mains.

I think I will get, unless im told otherwise,

115 and 120 jets to replace the 110 stock main.

A 65 to replace the 68 (for experimentation) is this a sound idea? I am having a hard time finding this size on that website.

I am running 110's with stacks on a stock cb and I used 120's and it helped throttle response from mid to high rpms where it was struggling before. Good choice.

bubonicplay said:

A 65 to replace the 68 (for experimentation) is this a sound idea? I am having a hard time finding this size on that website.

Ive never heard of a 747B. But, that dont mean they arent correct. Just means I dont know everything. They may be off a CJ or something like that.

right now its running rich (that the reason for your troubles).

Are you getting your jetting info from one of my ancient posts? YES? Of course your are. So, dont buy any jets yet.

You wont find 65s. I had my 65s custom modified to be an exact match from jets made for a different carb.

Sonreir said:
With altered intake and short mufflers you're never going to get it running awesome, but you might get "good enough" from it.

You can make the thing run fantastic.

The first and most important step, sending them to crazyPJ for modifications and a proper servicing.

What brand diaphragms do you have installed ? And how old are they?

I dont remember what your bike looks like, post a pic of your pipes. I am finding the shorter they are the richer it may run.

bubonicplay said:

Leave the primary main alone. Only in rare circumstances does it need to be changed. If you change too much at once, you're never going to figure this out.

But like I said earlier, before you go messing with the carbs, you really need to check the ignition timing and compression. It would help to check your valve lash, too.

Thanks much Sonreir and Trek97. Come to think of my diaphrams, I took the chrome top off the lefty carburator. It all looked good and I put it back together but it was a PITA to get the diaphram and the outer rubber gasket edge to sit properly in the groove. Am I thinking of the right thing? I think i could have pinched it or not put it back properly.

I didnt take the chrome cap off the right carb. I noticed popping and backfiring from the left, maybe not right cyl. My UNi filter looks weird when it makes a cloud of dust/ filter oil backfiring on the foam filter.

I am going to order that jet, 120 and 115 2 of each. Play with it. While thats shipping im going to pop the top of the left carb.

trek97 said:
What brand diaphragms do you have installed ? And how old are they?

Stock 10k miles. When I looked at the left one, it looked brand new. But its orignial.

EdIT: also, I have been searching for hours i swear an old HOW TO ARTICLE for setting points and timing write up. It had pictures and was easy to follow. Any links or how tos?

yep if its backfiring through the carbs, sounds like your timing may require adjustment.

BTW just saying if you order 120s or 115s without sending those carbs to PJ you are wasting your money and time and efforts.

Surely, By now you got to be asking your self...

"If its running rich at 2k rpm, How will installing larger (richer) Main Secondaries (4k + rpm) gonna help with that?"

ANSWER...ITS NOT

Back
Top Bottom