Cb360 needs work

RyanJones

New to this forum, not new to bikes(been riding 10+ years) but new to imports and cafe racers. I've been wanting to build one for many year, before the trend started. Anyway, my questions.
I've found a cb360 for sale about 2 hours away from me that I can get for around $600. The reason it's so cheap is because the owner wants it gone and it "won't turn over". He said he rebuilt the carbs last summer, then two months later while on a short ride it died, going downhill at around 40kph. He says there was no loud noises or smoke and he hasn't been able to turn it over since.
My first thought was an electrical short, being a 40 year old bike, but after some research I think it could also be the notorious cam chain tensioner. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any ideas on what I should expect?
Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend most of a day and $600+ on something I can't fix.
My plan for the bike is a total rebuild and upgrading of parts. Suspension, electrical, brakes, led lights, etc. if anyone has sugestions for a build thread where someone has rebuilt a cb360 (or other similar bikes) from the ground up I'd love to read them.
Thanks in advance everyone, I look forward to becoming part of this community.

Not nearly enough information. Is the motor locked up, or will it just not start?

It went in to stroked-out mode because you put [ s ] (without spaces) in your post. Square brackets are used in BBC code to enable formatting, depending on what you put between the brackets.

Use () brackets instead.

Not enough info but more likely cam seized in head (more common than tensioner problems)

link to some of my stuff in sig

I've tried getting more info from the seller, but he's just some college kid and doesn't really seem too mechanically inclined.
What would cause the cam to seize up, other than lack of lubrication(obviously). Due to the oiling problem in the head I've read about? How hard would that be to fix?
Sorry about he lack of information, but it's all I'm working on until I get out to buy the bike this weekend.
Thanks for the help so far though, and I'll keep updating as I go.

Rarely is anything past being able to be fixed. You said you plan to do a complete rebuild. I would think that should include going through the motor as well, at least the top end on these old Hondas.
Whatever the demise of this motor, locked up or just won't start, the people here can inform you what to do or point you in the right direction.

It's all about the time and money. How much are you willing to invest?

Maybe saying "complete" rebuild was a mistake, but maybe go as far as new piston rings. I was planing on ordering a complete gasket kit and seal kit from common-motor(.com) along with cam chain and tensioner+guide. I'm going to remove the heads and see the condition of the cylinders, and see how dirty the top end is. That will decide how far I take the rebuild. I also planned on rebuilding the calliper and master cylinder, new rear shocks and rebuild the front end with higher weight oil. The electrical is the part I'm having trouble planing out.
Anyone order from common-motor before? Or any sugestions on another site to order from. Anyone sell a better, newly engineered chain tensioner? With buying the bike for $600 , I wasn't looking to spend much more than $2000 all in.

If you operate motor at high rpm the oil pressure builds up and opens relief valve which dumps oil back into crankcase so none (or very little) gets to cam bearings
I would get it and just fix whatever needs doing, parts are relatively cheap even if you need a completer head and cylinders
Personally, I treat CB360's the same as a Triumph 500 twin, roughly same size and weight and they were comparable performance (and were compared 'back in the day')
Triumph has more torque off the line but less top end, both are easy to get more power out of relatively cheap

I'd wait until I bought the bike to do too much planning. You may be expecting to do things that don't need done. As far as cam chain tensioners, you can get them from Sparck Moto. But first, check to see if you have the punch marks and the updated tensioners may already be in there.

Oh, and beat him down a couple of hundred, bike with a seized motor ain't worth $600 (but a bare frame with title is worth around $2~$300 so don't go completely overboard)
Hopefully he doesn't know or is too lazy to find out it's worth a lot more as parts ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know I'm getting ahead of myself on planning my build, but it's just the way my mind works. Gotta plan every detail before I start.
CrazyPJ, so I shouldnt worry about doing one of the oil mods I've seen with an auxiliary pump? I'm not going to race it or anything, but highway miles are unavoidable where I live.
On another note, has anyone done, or can anyone link to someone who has completely redone the electrics on a cb360 or similar bike? I'd like to make it as clean as possible, with LED signals and taillight.
I'd also like to get rid of the stock speedo and tack, put something smaller on it, maybe a something with both in one small gauge.
You guys have been great so far, really putting my mind at ease with getting into this project. Sorry for asking for info that's probably on here already, but when you work ten hour days seven days a week, there's not much time for browsing.

Sparck Moto will hook you up on the harness-related biz. You can do the CJ pickup and open up the orifice for the oil upgrade. PAMCO has electronic ignition.

Any threads on here for the CJ pickup mod?
Is the Pamco electronic ignition for the cb360 the same as the 350?
Anyone know where I can get a new front brake disk?

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56913.75

Here is mine. I know PJ has this stuff somewhere too. He and Trek are where I got it from.

PAMCO makes a 360 specific ignition.

Anyone know where I can get a new cam and cam bearings? Not looking for anything with too crazy of a profile, stock would be fine.
Just trying to find all the parts I may need. Found the wiseco pistons, still looking for crankshaft bearings too. Should be out to get the bike tomorrow or Sunday, still don't know what the problem is, other than it being seized. If it's not the cam, I'm thinking the cam chain tensioner broke and part of it is jamming up the bottom end. If that's the case and it'll cost $1000+ for the rebuild I'll just part it out. Let's hope it's something simple.

There are no replaceable camshaft bearings. The cam rides in journals machined into the head and cover. Where are you located? There are plenty of 360 owners on here and lots of parts bikes.

I'm in eastern Canada. There is someone close to me selling two cb360's as parts bikes, $800 for the pair, won't part them out. I'd like to use new parts as much as possible though, even if it means spending more money.

Except for cam bearings and tensioner, (although I've never had a tensioner fail) the motor is so overbuilt everything else is pretty much unbreakable
The only things I ever use brand new are clutch springs (CB350 'race' parts) and all the oil seals/gaskets
Complete head, rockers and cam set up has become relatively expensive but repair original may also be an option.
Rebuilding motorcycle engines is nothing like rebuilding car engines, almost everything gets re-used
The clutch mod helps keep plates cooler and cleaner, synthetic oil will cause clutch slip so you really need to fit heavy duty springs
As for link to my 360 stuff, look down 8)
v v
v v
v v
v v
v v
v v
v

Well, its probably time to move this to another section of he forum. The seller sold the bike out from under me, called me when I was 15 minutes from his house, after driving for over an hour and a half.
So now its time to look for another bike. Ive been looking online at a few cb750's and cb650's. Wondering if anyone had opinions on either, any problems inherent to them? Is there a better place to be posting these questions? Sorry for wasting your time with the cb360 questions.

Back
Top Bottom