80 KZ1000 Carb list

Magoogle

KZRider site has been hacked and all information on google seems to point to that site..

Does anyone have a list of carbs that fit the 80 KZ1000 head?

Possibly some later models like the 90's GSXR 1100 carbs.

Would the GSXR 600's work also?

Just a list so I know what to look for. I love my BS34's but one of the float towers broke and my repairs just dont work well. tired of leaky carbs.

With the advent of silicon hose in so many forms and shapes you can literally adapt any carb bank within reason to an inline 4 and with some added bracing for strength to hold em up on the bumps or a hanger of sorts if using PODS. The thing is to get your motor to breathe with the new donor... cant feed it anti rejection drugs so it will be up to you to get the thing to deliver fuel in the proper mixture ratio.

http://www.siliconehose.com/?gclid=CJr-pb7mvsQCFZcdgQodWToA6w

What you're looking for are carbs from any UJM with an 85-77-85 spacing. That said, all the big GSXRs (1100) and Bandits have exactly this spacing, the oilcooled 750ies likewise, but the 600s don't.

If you want an out of the box solution, Bandit1200 Mk1 carbs are straight fit, even the carb rubbers work. With a set of K&N Duals and a rejet to around 135 mains you have a working solution. If that's not sexy enough, you could fit a set of VM29SS flatslides out of a 1985 or 86 GSXR750, but beware most out there are clapped out to death. I've bored out these carbs to around 33.5mm on the lathe and it's not an exceptionally tricky job, but didn't do much in terms of performance. I don't seem to recall the jetting of the VM29s, but in all fairness, it was tricky and I have noted it down (somewhere).

Hope this helps.
Greg

der_nanno said:
If you want an out of the box solution, Bandit1200 Mk1 carbs are straight fit, even the carb rubbers work.

Greg

Hi Greg thanks for your reply.

1996-07 carbs for the 1200 are the same?

der_nanno said:
What you're looking for are carbs from any UJM with an 85-77-85 spacing. That said, all the big GSXRs (1100) and Bandits have exactly this spacing, the oilcooled 750ies likewise, but the 600s don't.

If you want an out of the box solution, Bandit1200 Mk1 carbs are straight fit, even the carb rubbers work. With a set of K&N Duals and a rejet to around 135 mains you have a working solution. If that's not sexy enough, you could fit a set of VM29SS flatslides out of a 1985 or 86 GSXR750, but beware most out there are clapped out to death. I've bored out these carbs to around 33.5mm on the lathe and it's not an exceptionally tricky job, but didn't do much in terms of performance. I don't seem to recall the jetting of the VM29s, but in all fairness, it was tricky and I have noted it down (somewhere).

Hope this helps.
Greg

I thought the spacing was 77/93/77 and the Mikuni VM series was a round slide.

got a set of 1200 carbs and the spacing is almost perfect. Its close enough to push them on the factory KZ boots but the #2 and 3 are slightly off enough to cause an air gap. talking like a cm or less. Might possibly beable to scrap the rubber down on the boot or shave some metal off the carb to get them to line up better. Even with the intake leak it runs better than I have ever heard it.

it looks like the 1200's are slightly larger diameter but they go into the KZ boots on 1 and 4 just fine. you can see the slight offset on 2 and 3.

Attachments

• 2015-03-28 12.28.17.jpg
    2015-03-28 12.28.17.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 309
Magoogle said:
it looks like the 1200's are slightly larger diameter but they go into the KZ boots on 1 and 4 just fine. you can see the slight offset on 2 and 3.

Won't work, but have fun trying. 8)

Got the carbs mounted up. Just got to fix the lean popping now. Its weird I would of figured factory 1200 carbs would run rich in a 1000cc motor.

I will start a new post for tuning these.

this was what I used for a test. I will be replacing the rubber intake boots on the manifold with new offset steel plates. but right now it is galvanized threaded 2 in long male to male pipe with pvc coupling from carb to pipe. This allowed the slight shift I needed to slide the carbs on.

Attachments

• 2015-03-30 15.53.18.jpg
    2015-03-30 15.53.18.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 482
Magoogle said:
Hi Greg thanks for your reply.

1996-07 carbs for the 1200 are the same?

Nope, with the Mk2 Bandit, they changed the carbs to Keihin CV carbs.

Nebr_Rex said:
I thought the spacing was 77/93/77 and the Mikuni VM series was a round slide.

VM normall denotes a roundslide carb, but OEM-flatslide-carbs for some reasone, even though they came from the TM-family were named VMxxSS. E.g. the 29mm flatslides on the GSXR were called VM29SS or the 38mm flatslide on the DR600 was called VM38SS.

Magoogle: If you buy the inlet manifolds for a Z1000J or GPZ1100B-model, the Mk1 Bandit carbs are a straight fit.

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno said:
Magoogle: If you buy the inlet manifolds for a Z1000J or GPZ1100B-model, the Mk1 Bandit carbs are a straight fit.

Cheers,
Greg

Well.. that just makes it much easier doesn't it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-KAWASAKI-KZ1100-GPz-1100-NEW-K-L-CARBURETOR-INTAKE-BOOT-SET-11-4853-/371240209489?fits=Year%3A1982%7CModel%3AGPz1100&hash=item566fa40c51&vxp=mtr

are these correct?

Back
Top Bottom