1975 CB360T Oil filter cap seized.

justin.bennett

I can't remove the cap after I removed the snap ring. The ring was kinda seized as well but I got it off. Is there any kind of tricks to get it off? I already screwed a 6mm bolt in the center and pulled hard on it. I'm letting it soak in PB blaster overnight. Thanks in advance.

There is a rubber o-ring in there to cause an interference fit. Soak it with a penetrating oil, use the 6mm bolt, and try to rock it out. I've had some stubborn ones like that.

use a long 6mm bolt, bottom out the bolt & keep going, as in to, press the cap out.

Yup. Cap is threaded for 6mm. If you have a long one, you can use it to pull the cap by screwing it in until the bolt pushes against the inside of the filter and pops the cap off. Remove the circlip if you haven't already done so.

I found a longer 6mm screw and turned it all the way until it bottomed out and it still won't budge. Do you think it will be alright to hit it with a flame to heat it up and expand?

No do not heat it, you chance warping the cup which can cause it not to line up with the right side cover. Which would cause a major oil leak internally.

The screw you need to use should he at least 3 inches long and threaded the entire length. The screw is used to push the rotor out of the housing, once it bottoms against the crank keep turning the screw and should push the cap off.

Honestly, I've never had an issue removing mine the just pop right out after removing the clip that holds them in.

frogman said:
Honestly, I've never had an issue removing mine the just pop right out after removing the clip that holds them in.

+1

It should pop right out so long as you've removed the circlip.

The clip was kinda rusty and was hard to break free initially. I think it made its way into the cap area and expanded. What would you guys use to creep into it and free it up?

I finally got it off by using a half of a adjustable channel lock, socket and washer. Just tightened it in then it finally popped and came off. That filter cap and everything touching had a build up of thick hard varnish I'm assuming. .
97b2de3b673aafc6107a1aa74c67192f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom