CB550F racer

rlarkin70

hi everyone- I'm posting a before and after picture of my CB550F racer project. I got the bike in late September, and have been working on it since. I posted a thread here when I hammered the knee dents in my tank, and got a rebuild thread going over in the SOHC Honda forums. I figured it would be good to share with other Do The Ton members, since I like seeing your builds so much.

Here's a link to a web photo album that has project photos from start to finish....for those who want to see more of what I did...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ron.larkin/CB550FRacer

Thanks to you all for the inspiration. I love seeing all those projects out there, so keep the photos coming.

-Ron

Chitown_hillbilly said:
Looks pretty sharp, even with the Harley esque paint scheme ;D

I'd put some calipers on the front before ya go to far...

yeah. master cylinder and front brake are off for a rebuild. =)

so you think Harley esque, huh? you mean like their old dirt track racers? Didn't know those were orange and black...

rlarkin70 said:
yeah. master cylinder and front brake are off for a rebuild. =)

so you think Harley esque, huh? you mean like their old dirt track racers? Didn't know those were orange and black...

More like the VR1000:
Harley-Davidson-VR-1000.jpg

rlarkin70 said:
wow, that's my paint job alright. I had no idea Harley made a bike that looked like THAT. it looks like a modern superbike. What year is it?

The VR1000 was not something you could order at the local H-D dealership. It was basically a race bike with lights. I came out in the mid 90s. Very few were built. It wasn't competitive enough against the Japanese bikes so the Harley superbike program was dropped.

"It would have been nice to sample an absolutely stock VR, but as I rode the VR1000 around Northern California's Thunderhill track, it felt good just to be riding one at all. To be legal for AMA Superbike races, the VR must be street legal. Not in the US, but street legal somewhere in the world. It would cost Harley a fortune to make the VR street legal in emissions-conscious America, so a country of convenience was chosen. Next time you go to Warsaw, have a look in the Harley dealer's window, let me know if they've sold their VR yet. Yes, the VR is officially legal for street use only in Poland. You'll have to go there to buy one, unless the factory relents and does the US paperwork, or unless you promise them you'll use the bike only on the racetrack: And then do it. Harley has some pretty hefty lawyer friends..."

Looks great man!!...Im glad you found this forum a great help!!... ;D

YOU, my friend.... are an inspiration!

I was looking to adapt a 500T tank for my 500Four, but now i'm gonna hammer the SH!T out of it!

i like the toggle switches as well. i just moved my battery up and sideways to do away with the sidecovers and cut a piece of diamond plate to mask what you can see of it. i plan on putting a few toggles across that for an Airwolf effect...

looks good.im thinking of going for a 550 this summer. maybe a flat tracker or something along the lines of that.

Did you buy that Seat cover as a reproduction or did someone recover it for you? If you bought it and did your self could ya let me know where ya found it and how much.

Thanks

cafe kid said:
Looks great! I have a 550K. Any trouble finding parts for the motor? Where did you get the exhaust?

no problem finding parts for the SOHC Hondas, they're everywhere. I got most of mine on eBay, or through the local Honda dealer. Also Z1 is a good place for vintage Japanese stuff: http://www.z1enterprises.com/

the exhaust came with the bike. I know it's not stock (the headers are) but have no clue what it is. Kerker maybe? Something from the 80s or very early 90s, I think.

-Ron

Chitown_hillbilly said:
Did you buy that Seat cover as a reproduction or did someone recover it for you? If you bought it and did your self could ya let me know where ya found it and how much.

Thanks

I got it from a guy on eBay, just search for "CB550 seat cover" and I think you will find him. He is in New Zealand. I believe the cost of the seat cover was 39.95, plus 10 shipping. I remember getting it really fast too, considering where it came from...like 5 days I think.

It isn't a hard job to recover it, but it takes time and patience. Start in the middle, and work to each end, pulling it tight. I used a nail to poke a hole in the cover where I was going to hook it in. The hardest part is the tail, since the hooks are way up underneath in there. Just be sure to pull it TIGHT when you do it. I used a heat gun on low as I went, making the cover soft and easy to stretch.

-Ron

Detroit Rock- I would like to see some pictures of how you relocated your battery. Also, have fun hammering the tank! =) Post some pics when you're done.

Ken- Have fun with your 550 project, I think something along the lines of a flat track racer would look cool: high exhaust, no front brake, black spokes, a funky paint job, maybe some dirt bike bars, and a big number on the front. Would definitely be unique!

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom