Chris' Cafe build (02.11.08) Winter Update

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.10.07)

beardking said:
That's a d*mn cool looking bike AND car. Even more impressive that you built it yourself. I checked out your website and noticed that we are pretty much next door neighbors. I live in The Colony. :eek:

Swing by sometime. PM me to set something up.

--Chris

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.10.07)

Juice_Bruce said:
Nice job, I'm just getting started on my CB350 so I'll visit your website for tips along the way.
I love the pipes, did you make them or buy?
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce:

Those are stock CL pipes that have been chopped, bent, welded slightly and wrapped in copper wrap.

--Chris

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.18.07)

I dig the last picture with the daily driver in the background

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.19.07)

OK, just a quick update because I really need to start working :)

Wiped down
FrameWiped.jpg

Resanded
HeadlightReady.jpg

Paint supplies
PaintSupplies.jpg

Tank etch primed
TankEtched.jpg

Frame in primer
FramePrimed.jpg

Tank in primer
TankPrimed.jpg

And again
TankPrimed2.jpg

Many better descriptions on my website. Paint should be completed tonight. Many thanks to Kit at Dropbars for teaching me how to do this stuff. And for the new kick-ass MotoFiaccone logo.

--Chris

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.20.07)

Couple shots from this morning

The whole gang...
group.jpg

...taking a shower

neck.jpg

tank.jpg

nice... Is that your own shop Chris?

Kit:

Those new pictures look awsome. I look forward to the finished product.

Leon:

Sadly, no; that isn't my shop. Too bad because I rather like it!

--Chris

Nice color, very unique. So when do you anticipate having everything back together?

Chris, nice thread. Great prep work. This is my first post in here but i've been lurking for a while. I'm embarking on a KZ750b twin project and will keep tabs. Also, I live up in Denton and wouldnt mind takin a peek as you progress.

This is a great site and as I get moving i'll document my lil project....too bad Canada is so far away lol

cheers

Damn sweet. Funny thing is my wife wants a Mini and she wants the Pepper White one. She'd love the bike. If I didn't have an alloy tank for mine, I'd be copying yours! Might have to have another tank on the side for some variety from time to time.

Can't wait to see it together.

Chris, excellent work, looking forward to the finished product. In fact i may try to see it when i visit my daughter in Wylie, Doug ;D

cafenipon said:
Chris, nice thread. Great prep work. This is my first post in here but i've been lurking for a while. I'm embarking on a KZ750b twin project and will keep tabs. Also, I live up in Denton and wouldnt mind takin a peek as you progress.

This is a great site and as I get moving i'll document my lil project....too bad Canada is so far away lol

cheers
How is the triple doing ? this is a change from y-triples eh !! xs850nut (Doug) ;D

Tripler said:
How is the triple doing ? this is a change from y-triples eh !! xs850nut (Doug) ;D
heya tripler...this is like a cool parallel universe from y-triple...my trip went down a couple of months ago but is on the mend as am I. Just rebuilt the front end now ive got to tweak the valves and the old girl should be back on the road. You mentioned going to Wylie? Where do you live? we ought to take a ride together...nothing like the sound of a couple of yam trips roaring down the road lol

cafenipon said:
heya tripler...this is like a cool parallel universe from y-triple...my trip went down a couple of months ago but is on the mend as am I. Just rebuilt the front end now ive got to tweak the valves and the old girl should be back on the road. You mentioned going to Wylie? Where do you live? we ought to take a ride together...nothing like the sound of a couple of yam trips roaring down the road lol
Unfortunately i live in Toronto, so a ride is out of the question till i ship the bike down. Have you everything you need for your bike ? I may have bits and pieces laying around. Have a look at these photos of mine, Doug
http://picasaweb.google.com/xs850nut/MyPictures

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.24.07)

All the descriptions are on my website (www.fiaccone.com. These are just the pics.

Striping.jpg

TankStripe.jpg

SpotRepair.jpg

FrameInBlack.jpg

TankNClear.jpg

TankWClear2.jpg

TankWClear.jpg

FrameInClear.jpg

FrameInClear2.jpg

HeadLightFinished.jpg

HeadLightFinished2.jpg

Color sanding is all that is left before final assembly. I'm looking forward to it.

--Chris

MAN that's a great colour combo... going to look fantastic!

That bucket is schweeeet!

Thanks for the reply guys. I picked up the tank yesterday and she'll need a bit of work before final polish. But it will look great. The frame got its final clear and looks like black glass--also very well done. Alltogether, you're looking at around 20-25 hours worth of work just in paint for two people...well, 1 1/2. A friend an I put around 10 hours in body filler work and pre-paint prep. So some suggestions about what I learned from the process.

1.) If you can keep body filler off the frame, powder coat it. It is easier and cheaper in the long run. The downside is that it will not come out as nicely as the paint.

2.) When painting, if an error manifests, stop immediately and take care of it. I wrongfully assumed that it would significantly slow the process, but it doesn't. Most of the time, it took 5 minutes or so.

3.) If you make a paint booth in your garage (which I assume most of us will have to do) make sure it has a big fan to suck the air and over spray out of the booth. When I painted a chopper last summer, we didn't do this and I now understand the importance.

4.) Finding someone who will NICELY take the time to teach you how to do this stuff is invaluable.

I learned much more in the last week, but that is the macro-level view of what I picked up. I think I'm going to take a few days off the bike and reintroduce myself to the family. But I'm pretty excited about final assembly.

Thanks to all for having a read.

--Chris

That's pretty darn nice lookin. My powder looks nice, but the smooth look of your frame is great. I paid $225 to have my frame, two swingarms, and about 15 other smaller bits powdercoated black. Included blasting and coating.

No doubt the price can't be beat, but you have to admire the workmanship that goes into body work and making the frame look so nice with a good paint job.

The tank and headlight look awesome. Can't wait to see it all with the bits of chrome and whatnot bolted on.

Back
Top Bottom