1972 Honda CL350 First Time Build

If I would do it again I would go thinner. But its to late now. I have to mill the inside first. Its a little on the heavy side but I am so happy with how it turned out I can live with it.

Zoltan said:
The cowl looks great. When you sandblasted everything, did you put a clear coat over them? After sandblasting are they not as vulnerable to rusting? Seems any bit of moisture on the right place of my bike will create rust on these old metals. Debating painting vs. sandblasting my engine.
I had my engine soda blasted then primed and painted it.

SONIC. said:
Aluminum.
Doesn't rust.

Aluminum.
Oxidizes.
And if enough moisture builds up on it there are oxidizing like marks - whether they be from solutes left behind from the moisture or not, I was curious in the process in which he kept his engine so clean.
Thanks though!

Have you mounted your kickstand yet? I have the same rearsets as you and the kick stand is right where your foot needs to be. I also got rid of my center stand. Haven't come up with a solution yet. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Top view.jpg
    Top view.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 271
I havent finished it yet but my plan is to cut and rebuild the original kickstand bracket closer to the frame then extend the stand. I spaced the rearsets out another half an inch to clear the stand.

That'll work; I'm just not into grinding and welding on my recently powder-coated frame. I was thinking maybe of a loose stand that is carried elsewhere on the bike and then inserted into a new fitting that would bolt onto the original bracket.

Very clean so far.

Your frame looks heavily modified missing gussets, tabs, etc.; did it start out as a CL350 frame? Also, I notice the bottom of your tank is level with the horizontal frame rails. I've tried to do this with mine as well (see picture), elevating it almost 2 inches; I think the downward tilt of the back of the stock CL tank spoils the lines of the bike.

Attachments

• CL350 tank.jpg
    CL350 tank.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 258
the frame is cut and tubed just behind the factory tank mount. Some of the earlier pictures in this thread show the frame mods.
The tank is a CB360 tank that I felt fit the lines better.
Thanks for the input.
DSCF6151_zps2ab55ede.jpg

IMG959007_zps3d1a5c67.jpg

IMAG0061_zps8ea99334.jpg

Finally finished up the instrument cluster.
2-2.25" Tach and Speedo
Missile toggle switch Ignition
DSC08271_zps691c6056.jpg

DSC08272_zps87967565.jpg

DSC08273_zps4205ec51.jpg

Headlight cover I modeled this week. Shapeways should have the sample printed for me in the coming weeks. Its designed to resemble a WWII Anti-Aircraft Sight.
SightISO_zps25bd0500.png

Sightback_zpsecaa4dc3.png

ah, you're a shapeways user too. I've utilized them for a few different projects in the past. Now I get marketing emails from them everyday... :-\

We've used Shapeways too in our company. IIRC, I may have discovered them thru this forum. AFAIK, they make a 3D mold of your part based on a CAD and use the mold to spit out your new parts.

eyhonda said:
We've used Shapeways too in our company. IIRC, I may have discovered them thru this forum. AFAIK, they make a 3D mold of your part based on a CAD and use the mold to spit out your new parts.
I haven't used shapeways to make molded parts (didn't know they had that capability) but I've used them a lot for 3D printed parts.

Another good company to keep in mind when customizing/building things is Big Blue Saw

Back
Top Bottom