3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Dude, such a nice looking sporty. Sold my 1200 last year without too much regret, but seeing builds like yours definitely gives me a few pangs of seller's remorse! Love the rear fender chop, the choice of seat, but above everything else I love the bronze powdercoat. Man, looking forward to seeing this all finished up.

The Jimbonaut said:
Dude, such a nice looking sporty. Sold my 1200 last year without too much regret, but seeing builds like yours definitely gives me a few pangs of seller's remorse! Love the rear fender chop, the choice of seat, but above everything else I love the bronze powdercoat. Man, looking forward to seeing this all finished up.
Thanks... I'm going to pull the heads off and go ahead and powder the push rod tubes and tappet covers this weekend in anticipation of getting my stuff back from my powder coater... that'll eliminate all chrome...

So, I nutted up and pulled the heads and powdered up the Push Rod Tubes and bases. The inner head bolts were rusty and gross, so I blasted them and stripped the zinc off in some muriatic acid and re-plated them in nickel-copper-nickel. (See my Triumph build for details on that.) This at least gave me the opportunity to check out the cylinder bores which look great. I've been tempted to add a 1275 kit on it and bump the displacement up a bit.... It'd be about $1100 for the Hammer 1275 jugs and pistons, ignition module and re-jetting the carbs. I'm having a conflict on whether or not I can justify it... I'm still in this bike a at pretty decent price even after everything so far. Maybe I'll sit on it a week and think about it....that'd put me around a 90hp bike which is pretty quick for a sporty. Decisions, decisions...

If there's a vote, I vote for the 1275 kit. :) You already have the heads off and it'll be more work to do it later. You know you want to.... ;)

As far as $/hp, if your bores still look good at 1250 I'd stay there. 25cc isn't gonna net you a whole helluva lot for $1100

Edit: new cams should keep you happy for a while anyways ;)

I agree, spend that money on some other performance mod, like porting maybe, 25cc is nothing, unless you are racing and need every last little bit of hp.

It’s a 1200. So 75cc more if I do the kit. We’re talking a noticeable HP difference. The bike has 27,000 miles (which is not a big number on an evo motor)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
The Hammer kits look pretty nice. I'd only noticed the S&S kits before.

I've got a buddy with a Hammer 1250 top end... he had them do his heads and everything. I think the "Smash" service.. and he's busting a a solid 110+hp... that bike is a beast of a sporty and Hammer is getting even more with the 1275 jugs. (That bike placed at the Chicago International Motorcycle Show a couple of years ago... I did the paint on it... )

10422975_10203946677936279_5059197387683439412_n.jpg

I have this:

Just can't do much else to it.

Attachments

• P1040193 2.jpg
    P1040193 2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 844
canyoncarver said:
Lol, excellent response.

There's always more to do... it's just a matter of money, time and desire....

As soon as my 2017 Road Glide's Milwaukee 8 is out of warranty next spring I'm taking it up to Fuel Moto for the 120" treatment... they are getting outstanding numbers out of their kit.

3DogNate said:
I've got a buddy with a Hammer 1250 top end... he had them do his heads and everything. I think the "Smash" service.. and he's busting a a solid 110+hp... that bike is a beast of a sporty and Hammer is getting even more with the 1275 jugs. (That bike placed at the Chicago International Motorcycle Show a couple of years ago... I did the paint on it... )

10422975_10203946677936279_5059197387683439412_n.jpg

Wow, probably has a ton of torque too!

Decision made.. with as good as my bores are and as good as the bike performed before the tear down... I'm just going to leave the pistons and bores alone the bike had plenty of power and the new intake/jetting/exhaust/cams and a proper tune should make it a really good runner. A big bore kit is just a couple of hours worth of work if I decide to do it in the future.

Now if I can just get my engine covers back from my powder coater.

Back
Top Bottom