Anyone in the Triangle have experience replacing fork seals?

dean owens

Pittsboro, NC
hey guys,

i need to replace the fork and dust seals on a set of forks i bought and i was wondering if any of you had experience doing it. if so, could i bring them to your shop/garage to have someone look over my shoulder to make sure i do it right? i'd be willing to buy you lunch (or dinner depending on the time of day). if it matters they are '04 r6 forks (non-usd) 43 mm.

so, any of you up for helping me out?

Sure thing.

There are several of us who have done this task more than once.

Are you on facebook? That's a better place to catch the triangle crew as we tend to monitor it more closely than the full site.

I'm just north of you in Saxapahaw.

Whatcha doin Monday afternoon?

I intend to be in my garage, fwiw.

Cheers,
Bozz

didn't know there was a facebook group/page. monday would actually work really well except that i haven't gotten the seals or oil yet. tuesday i'll be heading out of town for the week. i'll go ahead and put in an order for the seals tomorrow. they should be here by the time i get back. if you have time next week... and the offer still stands... i will gladly take the drive to saxpahaw. will i need to buy/bring any particular tools?

Hey Dean, Nice to see you're back. Come on to facebook and look up do the ton triangle. There is all kinds of rides and events you can track and lots of cool people to meet and that are willing to help.

thanks (eddie ?). first, i've found the facebook page and joined. second, yeah i kinda fell off the face of the earth. i got busy. but the main thing is i kinda got to a title standstill and wasn't going to move on my build until i had a title. looks like some things are looking up and i'm going to get a titled frame this week for $25.00. keep the fingers crossed.

Well, I'm a bit north of the Triangle, 20 miles south of Henderson just about on the NC/VA line, but I've done a lot of fork seals.

Honestly it ain't hard. Screw what the book says about pulling the tubes out of the tripletrees, you wanna leave 'em in there. Don't take the caps off yet, you want the spring tension to help keep everything in place while you take out the retaining bolt. There is usually a snap ring on the top of the seal, remove it. Most bikes have a retaining bolt right on the bottom, where the axle goes in. Once the bolt is out and the circlip is off, remove the top caps.

Slide the lowers all the way up, then jerk em down hard, may take several tries, it'll eventually pop the seal out and you'll have the lower off. At this point you can take the tube out of the tripletree.

Either make or buy a seal driver. I usually make mine but you can get fancy ones on ebay. Check the bushings while you have it apart, clean everything really well, stick it all back together. If you run into trouble send me a PM with your number and I'll give a call and see if I can help.

that does seem pretty easy. but these are already off the bike. got these to upgrade my fz6 forks and brakes. if bozz's (or someone else's) offer doesn't happen i might give that a go.

Yup.

If the timing doesn't work out, I'm sure somebody can assist either in person or via the wire.

I'm happy to help if you need it.

I work at UNC too, so if you'd like to meet for lunch and talk it through, we could do that too.

It's not all that tough to do, but it can be intimidating when you consider the consequences of botching the job.

Cheers!

I just did the ones on my 73 Tiger. Wasn't pretty - they were stuck solid. Ended up having to grind the cage off enough to get them to bend and break out. Hopefully, yours goes better!

I am in Holly Springs if you still need a hand.

Back
Top Bottom