BMW R90/6 Cafe

Sorry for the long delay between posts. I’ve been doing a lot of the dirty work or refinishing parts, and that just isn’t photogenic. But, things are coming along, and I’m liking how it’s all tiring out.

Rear hub and final drive blasted and painted to match the engine. Original 45year Old aluminum rim polished up, and new stainless spokes.
a0b066f83c562b13b3d4e32820cfd95f.jpg

2c8f729cba09aee52a4ace289d348bac.jpg

Transmission casing blasted and painted.
f548084c5c078425d33d4635dd3a429a.jpg

Same treatment for the engine block and heads.
4d1c1a92b36f8dd8c3a2f029c5315cc4.jpg

41d11c3bc43d4b3ad7653c01ff935b8f.jpg
f4535635192b8a8b25c10887edf59642.jpg

Siebenrock 1000cc power kit with lightweight hi-comp pistons.
001071306cf6956fbd99ae17765e32fe.jpg

The engine coming back together.
e2e81fdcab1825a0ecc49aeee5d9aaa8.jpg

4fc179c10dbc5a4509075b725e91e8d7.jpg

I’ll be working on the engine today, so some more updates on that soon.

I've got the same Siebenrock kit on my R75/6. Great investment, and frankly comparable to parts + machining costs of going up a size on worn out old cylinders.

Maybe it's in the thread somewhere - what carbs are you planning on running?

Tim said:
I've got the same Siebenrock kit on my R75/6. Great investment, and frankly comparable to parts + machining costs of going up a size on worn out old cylinders.

Maybe it's in the thread somewhere - what carbs are you planning on running?

Thanks, that’s awesome to hear. When comparing the two options it was an easy choice.
I’m running Mikuni VM32’s, Boyer microdigital ignition and a Dyna coil.

ncologerojr said:
Thanks, that’s awesome to hear. When comparing the two options it was an easy choice.
I’m running Mikuni VM32’s, Boyer microdigital ignition and a Dyna coil.

I'm also running VM32's and a Boyer ignition, with the Boyer coil with an open stainless exhaust (stock 2 into 2) but wide open 'silencers'.

I'm running rich/fouling plugs at the moment but it does run reliably once warmed up. When you start jetting and tuning it will be interesting to see where you land.

Tim said:
I'm also running VM32's and a Boyer ignition, with the Boyer coil with an open stainless exhaust (stock 2 into 2) but wide open 'silencers'.

I'm running rich/fouling plugs at the moment but it does run reliably once warmed up. When you start jetting and tuning it will be interesting to see where you land.

Awesome. I’m also running a better flowing exhaust, but a bit more restricted than yours. I’m running 2-2 stainless head tubes with cone engineering quiet core silencers. I’ve built a bunch of systems with the cone eng silencers and love them, should work well here.

I’ll definitely post up on the tuning. My buddy has a shop near by and has been working on getting his new dyno room set up. I’m hoping timing works out to get this bike in there and get it tuned as best we can.

Frame and parts are back from powder coat, and the last bits of the engine are back together. Time for the fun part.

I always feel that surface finished/textures are just as important as color, and often overlooked. I think the light texture on the frame will perfectly contrast the glass-smooth aluminum bodywork.

f26f225c6cc48cf48d8376eb9c1e9828.jpg

6a253a6ead487ffe5826ab351f574ff5.jpg
2f78711b507bdf963efd0bc89b9a0908.jpg

8d606efd3b3dd9aaa3fdbd28a811f284.jpg

I’ll say! Looks fantastic, great job. Would you mind sharing your sanding/polishing process (what grade papers and polishing compounds)? I’ll be working on some aluminium engine covers soon and if I can get them half this good I’ll be chuffed to bits.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Freakin' awsome. Sculpture !

Question....these airheads don't like to run too long without air cooling (I believe). Does painting heads diminish the capacity for cooling ..... say...at idle?

Jimbonaut said:
I’ll say! Looks fantastic, great job. Would you mind sharing your sanding/polishing process (what grade papers and polishing compounds)? I’ll be working on some aluminium engine covers soon and if I can get them half this good I’ll be chuffed to bits.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thank you. Polishing is tedious, dirty work. The sanding/buffing compounds required really depends on your buffer, I have a cheap one so I need to put in a little more work. I sand with a pneumatic DA 80, 120, 220, 320 and then hand sand with 400. Then buff on a spiral sewn wheel with green compound and then black. Finish on a flannel wheel with brown.

95577742d13f632b9474d2e56b38e289.jpg

Odontologist said:
Freakin' awsome. Sculpture !

Question....these airheads don't like to run too long without air cooling (I believe). Does painting heads diminish the capacity for cooling ..... say...at idle?

Thanks!

Honestly, I don’t know. If it does, I think it’s negligible. I bead blast everything so the surface gets a light texture for good adhesion and then just a couple light coats.

Fantastic, thanks. I had my engine covers and assorted parts media blasted (glass bead) and I'm wondering what grade paper to start with. I'll try and error it, but hoping I can start with something smooth, around 220 if possible. The surface texture looks very smooth, just textured from the media. No air tools in my shop (sadly, very sadly).

Yours look like mirrors. Hats off - I know how much work is involved in making that happen. Kudos!

Jimbonaut said:
Fantastic, thanks. I had my engine covers and assorted parts media blasted (glass bead) and I'm wondering what grade paper to start with. I'll try and error it, but hoping I can start with something smooth, around 220 if possible. The surface texture looks very smooth, just textured from the media. No air tools in my shop (sadly, very sadly).

Yours look like mirrors. Hats off - I know how much work is involved in making that happen. Kudos!

I have done way more aluminum polishing that I like to remember, and I would recommend starting at at least 120. There are often scratches that you won’t be able to see until the surface starts to get really smooth. There nothing worse than spending hours sanding to find that you need to go back and start over. Starting with and aggressive grit is always faster and yields better results. My truck is to coat the part in blue machinist dye, and then sand it off. Ensures I don’t miss any spots.

I’ve polished a ton of stuff with and electric random orbital palm sander. If you don’t have one, you can pick one up cheap. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom