Rock&Roll: My xs650 brat bike

Under the tank somewhere, On the side or front of the battery box, on a plate on the triples.... anywhere, man.

Here's where I put the switch that functions like my ignition. Made a tray for all my electric stuff just stuck it on the side. Easy to reach. I have a hidden kill switch too.

1gpqq8.jpg

Thanks dude, I just got my battery box made up and I will probably put my kill switch there too.

Attachments

• PC170028.JPG
    PC170028.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 254
  • PC170029.JPG
    PC170029.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 257
I am finally getting back to working on the bike, I think that I will use that battery box for another bike and make a new one for a smaller battery. I won't be running a e-starter so what is the smallest battery I can use? And do I have to modify anything to replace it? Anything with the charging system? Would this work? Thanks

@ pablo. cool project if you ditch the starter, I would keep it until your bike is totally dialed in. kicking a bike forever sucks. if your bike is running great right now and can start on like one or two kicks-ditch it. if not you may regret it. i ditched mine put a freeze plug in to fill up the hole, then put the starter back on.

Thanks dude, I put in a new high performance ignition system so it starts up in one kick, so no worrys there.

Hey Pablo, that battery should be more than enough for your XS. There are guys on some of the other boards running a battery as small as .83ah for a kick-only XS. I'm planning on running a 12V 2ah "camcorder" battery I picked up from Radio Shack on clearance ($2!!!). Can't confirm how well it will work yet, but 2ah is a heck of a lot more than .83ah.

Awesome, Thanks dude, will be getting something smaller. How does it work with the charging system?

Glad to help!

Apparently, it works just fine. You'll probably want to wire a small toggle switch to kill the headlight and reduce draw on the battery when kicking the bike over, but it seems to work for other people. I'm in the process of scratch-building a new and simplified wiring harness for my 650, so I can't really give you a solid answer yet.

I dug up the link to the dude that ran the .83ah battery on Chopper Underground's site. Looks like he got over a year's worth of riding before he killed the battery through no fault of its own. Worth checking out.

http://www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36508&pid=309166&mode=threaded&start=#entry309166

I've also got a copy of my simplified wiring diagram if you're interested.

Cool thanks. I'm gonna keep the wiring harness for now, don't quite trust myself to make one yet. I think I will put in 1.5a/h battery just for a bit extra. I'll post pics up of the new box soon.

No worries. If you've got a Radio Shack nearby, see if they've got a camcorder battery on clearance. Like I said, $2 a battery. I ended buying 2 more just because. Of course, you'll need to solder on a pair of leads. But still, the price is right. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product!

Got my bars in, they are from a 1958 Triumph TR6, I with a bit of cleaning up, I think that they will look sick on the bike.
I also got my battery and make a new battery box from cardboard. What do you think? The front part will have the rectifier, regulator and kill switch. I went to radioshack but for $25 this battery was cheaper than anything there. Bloody camcorder battery was $50! I will probably repaint the frame soon. A darker more blood red, and paint the wheels black. Should have a rolling frame by next weekend. And have it all back together within a few months.

Taylor

Attachments

• P2030001.JPG
    P2030001.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 296
  • P2030002.JPG
    P2030002.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 299
  • P2030005.JPG
    P2030005.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 308
  • P2030006.JPG
    P2030006.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 325
Re: Rock&Roll: My xs650 brat bike: finally an update

well after much work I finally finished the battery box and painted the frame.

The battery box bolts at the front and at the rear and has brackets just to sit on the frame. Also got a waterprooftoggle switch with a safety cover on eBay. when I want to stop I just slap it forward
here it is:
P2110008.jpg

21111.jpg

and here's all the other stuff I painted today

It all came out really well in my opinion. I used the rustoleum in the can and applyed it with a paint sprayer. it gives a really durable paint job. I've used it on some other projects and really like it.

I also got a new throttle assembly in and gran turismo grips. With a little but a modification they should work really well.
11.jpg

Start putting the bike back together next week and it'll be done in no time. Catch you cats on the flip side.

Taylor

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see the finished bike. I actually have that same grip/throttle setup. Didn't want to mess with the cable yet, so I modded the stock throttle/kill switch and mocked it up. I still like the look of that throttle better tho....... Your build may sway me back from the "stock" side.

Back
Top Bottom