1981 Honda CM400T - Rear Sets mounted and Rolling Chasis

cmo27

So a few months ago I was showing a buddy at work what I was doing to my 79 GS425.. After showing him quite a few pics, he mentioned his neighbor had an old bike sitting beside his house that he wanted to get rid of.. I told him I'd come check it out.. After getting there and finding a disassembled heap, I was far from interested until I heard the price, FREE!! Could not believe it!! Said his son wanted it but that was 2 years ago and he just wanted rid of it.. Clear title in hand!! Obviously it was not in running condition but the motor isn't seized and everything seemed to be there. I figured I had to give it a shot at a new life, so my 2nd project bike is now in the works.

Here's some pics from the day I brought it home..

DSCN2059.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

Re: 1981 Honda CM400T - Freebie!!

Started what remained of dis-assembly and here's what was left..

Everything removed from the frame
DSCN2090.jpg

Motor out
DSCN2092.jpg

Wiring Harness
DSCN2094.jpg

Parts Pile
DSCN2083.jpg

Carbs off.. Seem to be pretty clean too
DSCN2087.jpg

DSCN2088.jpg

DSCN2089.jpg

Cool, that's the best way to get one. Frame is a lil ugly on those but a lil chop chop and its okay. The motors run great though and pretty easy to work on. Good luck on it.

I've just started the modification process after receiving a few parts.. Clip-ons, seat cowl, rear-sets and rear shocks..

Here's where the bike stands as of now..

After stripping most of the frame, lowering the trees approx. 1.5in on the forks and 1in longer rear shocks.

camera043.jpg

Stripped the tank and threw on the rear sets in the passenger peg location.. I'm not sure if this will be the final location for them, but its a starting point

camera051.jpg

Cut down the rear tank mount to create a better transition from the tank to the seat.. Still needs welded but this is still in rolling chasis/mock up stage

camera041.jpg

Had to grind out a section of the front of the seat so it sat properly on the frame.

camera046.jpg

Now a roller

camera049.jpg

camera052.jpg

oldskool said:
Cool, that's the best way to get one. Frame is a lil ugly on those but a lil chop chop and its okay. The motors run great though and pretty easy to work on. Good luck on it.

Thanks oldskool!! My goal is to keep the entire project under $1500 which I don't see being an issue. My only real fear is the mechanical aspect after I tear down the motor. I have all the manuals, etc. but the PO couldn't tell me why it stopped running 4 years ago.. He let it sit for 2 years until his son wanted it, then another 2 years went by and I own it now.. Time will tell I guess!

Got the engine soda blasted.. Took off the left side engine cover and blasted it with metal oxide to see if I like the finish.. Might clear coat on top.. Can't decide?!

camera056.jpg

camera055.jpg

camera057.jpg

camera054.jpg

Also, finished chopping off the rear top shock mounts.. Wasn't happy with the look at all.. Got them remounted and just tacked into place.. Not sure if I'm going to keep it this way or cut out the rear hoops of the frame and construct a new rear section.. Thoughts??

2012-11-26_19-01-13_804.jpg

2012-11-26_19-00-51_576.jpg

2012-11-26_19-03-04_510.jpg

2012-11-26_19-01-35_933.jpg

Have you thought about just doing a whole rear subframe? That seems to be the best solution to cruiser frames like this and the nighthawk, viragos, etc. These bikes do have a lot going for them though, great twins and the tank shape is really nice too IMO. Great job so far.

This other forum member has some neat things going with his CM400 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41816.50

Have you thought of lowering the front and raising the rear.I think it would really set off the seat. Was the seat made for the cm400? Looking good. I've built 2 and I've been happy with both.

FGKouki said:
Have you thought about just doing a whole rear subframe? That seems to be the best solution to cruiser frames like this and the nighthawk, viragos, etc. These bikes do have a lot going for them though, great twins and the tank shape is really nice too IMO. Great job so far.

That's what I'm trying to decide currently.. I'm a novice welder at best and that's what concerns me. The geometry, etc are not the issue, very good with math, etc but I want it to be safe structurally and look good at the same time.

john83 said:
Love the way that seat and tank look together.

Thanks! I thought they flowed well together also. Regardless of what I decide on the subframe, those lines will stay consistent

Somany people complain about the shape of the frame under the seat on these bikes, (say it's hard to make it look "cafe") but that AJS-style seat fits it perfect! Way to work with what you have!

oldskool said:
Have you thought of lowering the front and raising the rear.I think it would really set off the seat. Was the seat made for the cm400? Looking good. I've built 2 and I've been happy with both.

I have the front lowered about 1.5 inches or so.. Basically the length of the clip on mount.. As far as raising the rear, I'm worried about clearance for the chain past the swingarm mounting point..

The seat was purchased from Airtech.. It's not specifically made for the.CM400 but its the only seat I've seen with the dip in the pan. Definitely lends itself to the lines of CM400's..

Have you raised the rear on either of your CM's? If so, stock swingarm or swapped for another?

yeah I rebuilt the subframes on both bikes with the stock swingarms. I like to reuse/rebuild as many stock pieces as possible. Here are the CM's i built. you don't have to raise the rear that much. When you rebuild the subframe bring the line higher in the rear and it will look raised .On your welding,get you some scrap pieces and weld til its strong and consistent. When you feel comfortable start chopping and rebuilding. Trust me it will be totally worth it in the end.

Attachments

• 430349_395102377171936_100000165316235_1754758_988735406_n.jpg
    430349_395102377171936_100000165316235_1754758_988735406_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 444
  • the green monster.jpg
    the green monster.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 415

Both look great!! I think I would have to take the direction of the red one more so because of the dip in my seat. Any idea how far past parallel you are on the swing arm on either? If you look at some of.my earlier mockups, notice the longer shocks on the factory mounts. The swingarm is pushed down to far for the chain to clear..

they make chain idlers that a spring loaded that you can weld or bolt on that will keep the chain from rubbing and they look pretty cool. I think I'll be using one on my build. I know what you're talking about with the chain hitting the swingarm.

longhorn717 said:
they make chain idlers that a spring loaded that you can weld or bolt on that will keep the chain from rubbing and they look pretty cool. I think I'll be using one on my build. I know what you're talking about with the chain hitting the swingarm.

Are you referring to the white nylon looking things?

those two CM's look fantastic!

I likes yours the way it was in the stock location, but I vote for a subframe rebuild!

Back
Top Bottom