This cb125 is going to be the death of me

Have you checked the condenser?
I know you said you replaced it, but it wont be the first time a dud has been put in or some electrical gremlin has killed it...some of what your describing sounds like a bad condenser/points....

wozza said:
I know you said you replaced it, but it wont be the first time a dud has been put in or some electrical gremlin has killed it...some of what your describing sounds like a bad condenser/points....

You may be right.

I made a post about testing and finding a bad condenser a few years ago w Piglet, CL100

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65898.msg770904#msg770904

wozza said:

I'll try anything at this point. I have a spare one to test. Only replaced the condenser because it came with the new coil

swizbee42 said:
When I take the boot off the carb I can see fuel blowing backwards out of the back side of the carb and I have tired all the needle positions and 90, 98, and 100 main jets and all settings with air screw WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Ok what is going on here. You guys are talking about a condenser, he's got fuel pissing out the back of the carb. We need to fix this first.

Do you mean the bike is backfiring, or its literally dripping out the air intake side of the carb?

Please address one thing at a time. Its impossible to diagnose things when you're talking about electrical issues one second and then we just glance over the fact that you have fuel coming out of where its not supposed to.

Post a video of the bike running or you trying to start it or something. Is it even running at this point?

haha yes, could have a cracked intake valve also. Need to do a leak down test.

advCo said:
Ok what is going on here. You guys are talking about a condenser, he's got fuel pissing out the back of the carb. We need to fix this first.

Do you mean the bike is backfiring, or its literally dripping out the air intake side of the carb?

Please address one thing at a time. Its impossible to diagnose things when you're talking about electrical issues one second and then we just glance over the fact that you have fuel coming out of where its not supposed to.

Post a video of the bike running or you trying to start it or something. Is it even running at this point?

It is running. It starts no problems and idles all day. Ot does not like anything above 1/3-1/2 throttle. The fuel is not pissing out, its blowing backwards out of the intake side of the carb behind the slide. I'm talking about fuel and electrical because I think they are related. Like I said before when there is any electrical load on it it gets worse

Here is a video of the carb
https://youtu.be/ayP7bmJFinE

That's with a 90 main jet and the needle in its lowest position no electrical load

Ok. Videos are helpful. The first video sounds like a classic lean condition caused by a vacuum leak. Your idle is way too high and bogging when you rev = vacuum leak is the first place I'm looking. Idle should be at 1200 RPM.

Spray starting fluid or something all around the intake manifold where it connects to the carb, and where the intake connects to the head. If your Idle changes at all (it will likely surge), then you need to address that first.

The fuel coming out of the air intake side of the carb ain't right. Check your float height and see if that fixes that issue, my guess is that your float height is set too low and filling the bowl too high with fuel or a leaky needle and seat inside the carb that's allowing too much fuel in.

Your charging system seems fine. 7v while idling should be more than enough on a 6v system. Lets get the thing running right and then get into the electrical. I think you have 2 separate issues here and trying to fix them both at the same time is confusing for everyone.

advCo said:
Ok. Videos are helpful. The first video sounds like a classic lean condition caused by a vacuum leak. Your idle is way too high and bogging when you rev = vacuum leak is the first place I'm looking. Idle should be at 1200 RPM.

Spray starting fluid or something all around the intake manifold where it connects to the carb, and where the intake connects to the head. If your Idle changes at all (it will likely surge), then you need to address that first.

The fuel coming out of the air intake side of the carb ain't right. Check your float height and see if that fixes that issue, my guess is that your float height is set too low and filling the bowl too high with fuel or a leaky needle and seat inside the carb that's allowing too much fuel in.

Your charging system seems fine. 7v while idling should be more than enough on a 6v system. Lets get the thing running right and then get into the electrical. I think you have 2 separate issues here and trying to fix them both at the same time is confusing for everyone.

I will try both of those tonight and report back. Although I have tried the float height multiple times. Everything I have read says 21mm is what it should be set to. But I have not tried to see if there is a vacuum leak yet. I know the idle was too high and I was kind of doing it for video sake to measure voltage with 1 hand.

Ok interesting turn of events. Set floats to 22mm and wont start. Leak down test .....100% leak down. But pressure coming out of exhaust, which either means a smoked valve or off timing. Yes it was at TDC on compression stroke. Now here is my question

Is it possible to have all the timing marks lined up but have the cam bolted in 180° out? And if it is possible would it run?

Because if it is off time that way. That would explain the pressure at the carb.

About 1 step away from throwing a match at it

I don't believe it can be 180 out, its a 4 stroke.

My 360 would bog exactly the same, because it was too rich, try smallest main jet and lowest needle.

Its been too long and I don't recall what main jet I have in Piglet.

What does the manual say for float height?

trek97 said:
I don't believe it can be 180 out, its a 4 stroke.

My 360 would bog exactly the same, because it was too rich, try smallest main jet and lowest needle.

Its been too long and I don't recall what main jet I have in Piglet.

What does the manual say for float height?

I have tried a leaner needle all the way down and a 90 main.
Manual says 24mm (I had a hard time finding it)

There is always some reversion, but that is off the charts. Try a smaller main jet and see if it makes any difference.

I would also check teh main air jet and passage to the needle jet (emulsion tube) to be sure that air is getting through. The main air jet is really small on those carbs - something like 0.5mm diameter (20 thou). If it's blocked, the carb is drawing in raw fuel instead of tiny droplets.

teazer said:
There is always some reversion, but that is off the charts. Try a smaller main jet and see if it makes any difference.

I would also check teh main air jet and passage to the needle jet (emulsion tube) to be sure that air is getting through. The main air jet is really small on those carbs - something like 0.5mm diameter (20 thou). If it's blocked, the carb is drawing in raw fuel instead of tiny droplets.

Smaller than a 90? Oem is 100 I'm down like 4 sizes or something. I have cleaned and blown the carb out so many times. I just dont get how anything could be stuck in there.

I'm chasing my tail here. There is something going on. I'm going to pull the engine out and throw it on the bench and rip the head off. For my own sanity

giphy.gif

swizbee42 said:
Smaller than a 90? Oem is 100 I'm down like 4 sizes or something. I have cleaned and blown the carb out so many times. I just dont get how anything could be stuck in there.

Did you remove the needle jet and blow through the air jet with a can of wd40 or carb cleaner to see it coming out?

teazer said:
Did you remove the needle jet and blow through the air jet with a can of wd40 or carb cleaner to see it coming out?
Removed everything from the carb. Ultrasonic cleaned. Carb cleaner dip bucket. Air compressor. Carb cleaner. Air compressor. Wd40. Carb cleaner. Like atleast 10 times. 8 of which were probably unnecessary

Back
Top Bottom