1977 Suzuki TS-250

Got a few updates on this project!

Got the bike running. All it required was a loose ground to be tightened, a little oil and a little gas. 2nd kick.
This thing makes a lot of smoke and sounds like a sled. Love it. Can't wait to get the bodywork done and paint it.

9541accf.jpg

1d6ccd2f.jpg

9c60065d.jpg

I need to find a throttle/oil pump split cable or have mine repaired and then I'm 1 chain and some bolt tightening away from a test ride.

Another Project:

b60478a5.jpg

Decided to take a video of it running. Not long, not much gas.

That seems like a lot of smoke to me... Just cold? 1977 2-Stroke normal? Maybe because it's only been started twice since I put it together... I just have never owned a 2-stroke. Haha.

I've been told by a few people to ditch the oil pump and premix my fuel, but there is a second line from the oil pump to the crank bearing so that's probably a bad idea on my bike.

Also, I really like the stock mirror from my SECA on the dirtbike right now... Makes me want to put a rectangular headlight on it.

74a40ac1.jpg

544910da.jpg

Garage Setup has improved yet again. New rolling cabinet I'm using for storing the Suzuki's parts and a few tools.

314484_10150831255170058_592225057_20603632_2049668453_n.jpg

4980556c.jpg

That's looks sweet! Really coming along. Like you, I'm new to two-strokes as well, but that does seem like quite a bit of smoke. You may need to tune the oil injection to get it to the correct ratio.

HerrDeacon said:
That's looks sweet! Really coming along. Like you, I'm new to two-strokes as well, but that does seem like quite a bit of smoke. You may need to tune the oil injection to get it to the correct ratio.

I think you're right.

I'll leave it as is for now until I can ride the bike and see how much smoke I get once the motor is warmed up.

Ordered some all balls wheel bearings yesterday but the neck bearings were out of stock... and the ones in the bike now are completely shot... It has kind of an auto-stop at center.

When I checked the all-balls website there was no listing for conversion bearings to the YZ-250 front end, so I'll keep using the originals until I figure that out, rebuilt them already anyway.

Slowly coming together...

Finally got the correct headlight bucket.
56f7f948.jpg

I need to do something about the headlight mounts... Sticks out too far.
fdff0ee9.jpg

New gas cap. Fits the lines of the tank perfectly. From a 1983 Suzuki GS1100G.
3d7e90b9.jpg

Uhh.. Ignore the sparkle paint.
7f6b0983.jpg

daa09bd1.jpg

Mail again today!

Got my NOS front fender... Looks like it's definitely been sitting on a shelf a few years!

00d8b900.jpg

It's in perfect shape:
d163ee56.jpg

43f3e163.jpg

Looks awesome IMO!
32939b5c.jpg

fd83b408.jpg

Fender will be staying white... I'm wondering now if I should paint the seat white also and just paint the gas tank yellow... rather than both Yellow...
Opinions?

I love little bikes... Got a couple me self!

Love the plans for this one, good progress so far!

Keep it up!

Only thing I'd do different is maybe trim those handle bars up a little, but thats just me, I like narrower bars =)

Thanks!
We'll see once I ride it a bit if I need to trim the bars.

I'm still in need of the neck bearings before I can consider riding it... Keeping the chain off till I get em knowing my lack of control.
HUGE snowfall here yesterday may have ruined my plans to ride it this year.

e358ecd1-1.jpg

Another update... Not exciting to most, but it's the little things...

This:
3b037030.jpg

Replaces this cap from an old oil can:
f40ac1ae.jpg

Better:
f9d730d1.jpg

looks good bye! you should get a chance if you get your bearings soon. there is one more warm front rolling through. it is melting all the snow around here. going to be 16 wednesday here! You should get some of that on the rock too I hope and just might get to rip her before it is all white for 3-4 months. My bikes are stuck 300 kms away until we sell our house, I have 3 days before I go back to work and I could have sooo much done on the bikes if they were here! Good work, keep it up. I have to get my fix surfing DTT instead of actually wrenching.

Cheers

Maritime

So I just got a barn find '77 TS250. When I googled, your thread came up, looks awesome. How do you like it so far? I'm looking for observations, ideas about which way to take this ride. I need it to be street legal, and ...that's about it. I'm partial to franken/rat bikes so it'll probably end up that direction. Did you do anything to the main cylinder/piston to bore or clean it?

Thanks, do you have a thread started here? I'd like to see pics of your bike, especially if it's complete.

No I haven't had the motor apart.

The guy I bought it off was using it as a dirtbike for years and said the motor was pretty reliable. Also that the bike has plenty of power... I haven't ridden mine yet due to not having any replacement neck bearings available atm.

Neck Bearings finally became available aftermarket! (All Balls stopped making them)...

I haven't received them yet but I did order them... check out the old ones:

96557021.jpg

9d5dac67.jpg

1895b758.jpg

Also, since my bearings became available, I've started back at the project full swing.

Got around to fabbing the brackets for the seat and getting that installed...

0bce8848.jpg

735e3e8c.jpg

8bcf3de2.jpg

816ef8fb.jpg

I didn't want to have bolts sticking out of the top of my seat, and the seat manufacturer's specs called for just the brackets in the front... But I may occasionally throw a buddy on the back at the cabin or put a luggage rack back there... So... I cut up a dirtbike tube and rivited it on for support "just in case."

a06e613b.jpg

61f66828.jpg

Under:

99f40e79.jpg

The seat fits great, but needed to be cut so I can refill the oil tank without unscrewing the seat...

38d97c8f.jpg

e4d6a862.jpg

3f015bd2.jpg

Got a pretty good line from tank to back:

4baa7195.jpg

Sweet bike Ease!! one of my first dirtbikes was a ts100! I love the bars and the seat! Dude my dad competed in targa newfoundland about 2 years I think. His 356 blew up the day before they were supposed to leave to go up there, so his buddy and him rented a turbo 944. he said it was gorgeous up there! I hope to compete in the Targa some day! Keep up the good work on the bike!

Thanks! I hope they let vintage bikes do the targa some day! Ha! If you don't mind the entry fee.

Back
Top Bottom