Papyrus - My First Yamaha - SR400

HerrDeacon

Over 1,000 Posts
Didn't put this in the build section since its not a real bike :)

I recently stumbled upon pepakura, a style of paper craft while looking up some things for the kids. It involves printing out two dimensional parts, cutting them out and then assembling them to form a 3D model. It's very tedious and pretty time consuming but interesting. I did a few Pokemon characters for the kids but then found out that the Global Yamaha website has a few of their models created and free to download. They are surprisingly detailed, you can see them here: http://global.yamaha-motor.com/yamahastyle/entertainment/papercraft/realistic/

Started in on the tank and engine first. Here are a few pics showing the printed parts, the knife I use and the tank pieces cut out. I'm using 67lb cardstock for the paper.

I just finished assembling the engine and here are a few pics. Next up will be the exhaust.

All the individual engine parts:

Engine assembled:

Completed engine and tank (although I forgot to glue on the petcock ::) )

You are a much more patient man than I good sir. I would have lost my mind cutting and folding all that.

Looks great though! Do you have anything to place next to it for scale?

Thanks guys. It does take a bit of patience but I typically only spend 10-15 minutes on it a day. Here's a picture to show the scale.

Also, you may notice red dots on some parts, they are just there to help align parts that have to be glued together. The red dots on the engine will be used when its mounted in the frame.

HerrDeacon said:
I'm working on it, but it keeps catching fire :)

Have you checked compression? ;D
I have a miniature paper compression gauge if you need it.

Yeah, its a bit low. Guess when I printed the compression gauge I should have pointed the needle at a higher number.

That is super cool! I just might have to try that over the holidays. Looks more fun than building store bought car models!

Its all rolled. I'm not really looking forward to doing it or the forks/steering. I'm cutting my teeth on the easier parts first, working my way up to the more intricate pieces.

Still struggling with the exhaust. Turns out round parts are much much harder than square parts :) The header is a real bitch, have to order a new one and start again. :(

Deacon,

I decided to try to SR400 too. I only have the tank and seat done. Lots of work, but still enjoy the challenge of it. My son chose to do the yellow Yamaha crotch rocket. I think the rockets are easier due to all the body panels. The front end looks like a real pain in the ass. I only hope it looks good enough to display in my office when done. Otherwise I gotta do another one!

If you want to see something really cool done with papercraft check this one out:

http://visualspicer.com/personal-work/lamborghini-aventador-ae2-ultimate-papercraft-supercar/

Back
Top Bottom