My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Finally had some good luck with my project! My EX650 rear wheel arrived from ebay and the axle size is 20mm which is the same as my YZF swingarm axle. I can see I will have to machine the sprocket carrier down but at a quick glance that looks to be a cinch also.

Not much progress at the moment but I have just started to pull the engine apart. I assume that one uses a 3 legged puller to remove electronic ignition rotor from the end of the crank (see pic)? Most that I've dealt with have a thread inside for extraction. My shop manual only shows the points ignition setup.

Decided instead of paying someone to do my machining I am going use the money to buy a used lathe so that I can do stuff as and when I need it. Hate paying someone else to do maching.

Attachments

• ignition.JPG
    ignition.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 398

Did a little bit of work on my final drive cover yesterday. All engine cases will be powder coated eventually, I'm not into the polished cases look personally.

Attachments

• FD cover.JPG
    FD cover.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 403

Some moderate progress. Got the engine stripped and the cases painted (looks better in person). Need to re-plate the crankcase bolts before re-assembling the bottom end. Also have to get the cylinders ported before painting them (cylinders will be black and heads silver). Still looking for a used lathe so that I can move forward with the chassis and suspension.

Attachments

• cases 2.JPG
    cases 2.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 426

Thanks. I used the same paint as you, the Duplicolor engine paint. It really goes on nicely and looks good, I just hope it's durable. Darn sight cheaper than powder coating which I was going to do originally.

johnu said:
Thanks. I used the same paint as you, the Duplicolor engine paint. It really goes on nicely and looks good, I just hope it's durable.

You and me both! I've already managed to put a small chip in one of my heads when I pulled it from the oven.

Side cases look killer in all black, easier than polishing too.

Wingspan said:
You and me both! I've already managed to put a small chip in one of my heads when I pulled it from the oven.

Well thats a bit of a bummer then!

JoeTee said:
Side cases look killer in all black, easier than polishing too.

Thanks, my intention is to not have any polished parts on the bike.

Bottom end ready for re-assembly. I am going to be doing it with my 16yr old so I have to wait on "his schedule"! Got to teach the lad these things so it's worth the wait.

Attachments

• bottom end.JPG
    bottom end.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 407
My Suzi T500 Project

Keep notes of any weirdness on reassembly, I'll be stuffing the guts back in mine soon. :)

Started on the assembly today. Realised I have a seal missing for the clutch pushrod so I need to get one of those along with a couple of other items. Tried several Suzuki places online but I can't justify paying almost $20 shipping for three seals and a washer. Anyone now a good online source for T500 parts with reasonable shipping costs? I got all my other parts on ebay but I can't find these items on there.

If you have a keen eye you can probably see where I shortened the back of the final drive cover and crankcase to make it easier to install the engine. When I modified my frame for the new swingarm it made getting the engine in and out difficult, hence the mod.

Wingspan, kickstart shaft was the only tricky part of the rebuild. I couldn't get it tensioned correctly by following the shop manual info. Not really sure how I got it to work out but it is right now.

Attachments

• bottom 1.JPG
    bottom 1.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 420
  • bottom 2.JPG
    bottom 2.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 420
  • bottom 3.JPG
    bottom 3.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 410

Thankyou. Maybe you guys can help me, as soon as I put the igniton rotor back on the crankshaft the crank does not rotate smoothly. I assume it is something to do with the magnets?

I wish I could get parts that cheap, all of my stuff is discontinued and expensive.

Edit: Saw that is was just shipping cost... that does seem high.

I'm watching this one go together myself... I'm right behind ya, waiting for my crankshaft to come back from rebuild.

I wasn't sure I'd like the black side covers... but they look really cool! I think it's going to look fantastic on the bike... have you come up with a paint scheme?

CobraRad said:
I'm watching this one go together myself... I'm right behind ya, waiting for my crankshaft to come back from rebuild.

I wasn't sure I'd like the black side covers... but they look really cool! I think it's going to look fantastic on the bike... have you come up with a paint scheme?

Where are you buying engine parts for your rebuild?
Here is my original color scheme but it's likely to change as I go (the frame color is most likely to change to gloss black):
The 636 forks I'm using are silver so I will probably go with silver swingarm then the frame in candy orange powder. Wheels will be gloss black. Tank and tail unit to be off white (creme) pearl with candy orange stripes down the center. I would like to get the original Suzuki "S" in there somewhere also, most likely on either side of the gas tank in black. Expansions I intend to leave unpainted with just a clearcoat.

saywhat said:
I wish I could get parts that cheap, all of my stuff is discontinued and expensive.

Edit: Saw that is was just shipping cost... that does seem high.

I've done my time walking around autojumbles looking for rare parts for old Brit bikes with my dad who restores old bikes in the UK. Part of the attraction of the Suzuki was the availability of spares. I didn't figure on the extortionate shipping costs however!

johnu said:
Where are you buying engine parts for your rebuild?

What sort of things are you looking for? I buy most of my OEM Suzuki parts from http://www.servicehonda.com. Don't let the name fool you, they carry parts for just about everything. They've also got the parts fiche online, even for bikes as old as ours. When I've needed items that were no longer available from Suzuki, I usually call Paul Miller Motorcycle at (860)-828-1771. There are some mixed stories out there about Paul Miller, but I've purchased from him many times both directly and through his ebay auctions and have had no issues.

Those two sources and ebay have provided the bulk of my OEM parts.

Back
Top Bottom