Yamaha R5C - TR3 Race Rep

irk miller said:
DO you know for sure that the GSXR triple won't work?

I don't have the upper, so I'll need a replacement of some sort. Currently searching through eBay for something that will match. Not 100% sure of the make/model of the forks and I'm going on only what I was told a few years back when they found their way into my shop.

On my XS I laced an 18" rear XS650 shouldered aluminum rim from MikesXS onto the Suzuki 4LS hub, with Buchanan spokes. Worked great, if 18" rims front and rear are an option.

How about electronic ignition systems? Any recommendations? A quick Google search was inconclusive.

Ive laced the same type setup. I don't know how much difference there is in the diameter of a 4ls buffalo hub and a 2ls titan hub, but, I laced a Suzuki t500 titan drum into a shouldered xs650 rear 18" wheel with stock rd350/ stock xs650 rear spokes, nothing custom.

FYI Bradj gave me this info. gotta give credit where credit is due.
e32bf4eb17b1e396ed32a887d30d6a21.jpg

Sonreir said:
How about electronic ignition systems? Any recommendations? A quick Google search was inconclusive.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/mzb-cdi-electronic-igntion-for-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds7-street-version/

this is what I have for my ardee. People who have them seem to like them.

Sonreir said:

For a simple street system, DYNA from Vintage smoke.

Full replacement street system PD from Economy cycle

Programmable - Ignitech or Zeeltronics

Without lights - Motoplat or Hitachi or PVL CDI -I have all three of those available... :)

Hurco550 said:
https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/mzb-cdi-electronic-igntion-for-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds7-street-version/

this is what I have for my ardee. People who have them seem to like them.

+1

Sonreir said:
Good to know. Thanks, Tim.

So rear XS rim on the front?

That's what I plan on doing with my latest GT750 4LS brake. An alternative is a TX750 rear alloy rim.

teazer said:
For a simple street system, DYNA from Vintage smoke.

Full replacement street system PD from Economy cycle

Programmable - Ignitech or Zeeltronics

Without lights - Motoplat or Hitachi or PVL CDI -I have all three of those available... :)

Damn... that Dyna kit is almost as much as the PD. I guess I know which way I'll be headed.

Also, was the implication that you had some for sale or just that you've used them?

teazer said:
That's what I plan on doing with my latest GT750 4LS brake. An alternative is a TX750 rear alloy rim.

I assume you use a rear rim, instead of a front, for the spoke angle?

Any width recommendations?

teazer said:

I just happen to have a complete tx750 complete rear wheel sitting around if you find yourself in need

For a street bike the PD seems like a logical choice. Yes I have a couple of self generating race ignitions left over from our TZ racing days. I'd have to go and dig them out, but not too good on the street with total loss lights.

Sonreir said:
I assume you use a rear rim, instead of a front, for the spoke angle?

Any width recommendations?

Yes rear drum type rim will work on the front. WM2 1.85 front and WM3 rear, or WM3 2.15 front if you go with a 2.5" rear.

I don't see why not. That's what it was in on a GT550 or 750 back in the day (but 19")

I finally decided to open up the wrapped pipes and check them out. They're been well-loved in the past, it seems. No brand markings that I could see.

They'll probably get sold and go toward funding something from Higgspeed.

Attachments

• 20180312_172801.jpg
    20180312_172801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 334
  • 20180312_172745.jpg
    20180312_172745.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 330
They really don't look to hateful as pipes go man. Id have someone who has the right software run those dimensions and run them anyways. Most of them will be under a fairing no?

Just a few scars and they say that chicks love scars, so.......

They will probably work OK if you have the mounting flanges.

You could always roll your own..

Back
Top Bottom