75 cb550 backfire on deceleration

work9to5

See you in the wind.
Hi guys just finished another 550 build. With this post I'm trying to figure out where to look next to eliminate a backfire from from the exhaust. I'm getting it on decel only. I know that this is probably caused by un-used gas combusting it the pipes. Description of bike and symptoms below.

Ground up, motor swap, gs550 swingarm, tire, disk brake swap, open 4 into 2 "vintage" exhaust, stacks on carbs. Bobber type bike. Basically through it together from leftover parts I had lying around garage in 5 days.

-Jetted to 105 mains
-Standard 38 pilots
-4into2 open pipe
-Velocity stacks (I had on decent pod filters at first, but switched on stacks because plugs where showing VERY rich condition) after switch to stacks bike runs much better. Stumble and bogging at 3/4 and full throttle where eliminated. Doing plug chops today to see if I'm still rich

Bike runs great. Really flys! VERY VERY LOUD, ugh. But with the bobber configuration I guess I don't mind it too much.

I know that the open pipe configuration can lead to this. But what else can? I feel that the timing is a bit off at the points (during buildup I only had a static 12v light, not timing gun/light that got me to a general area) could this influence it? I really havnt ever messed with a bike that had this "open" of a air/fuel system the usual sounds I look for to know that I'm in the right spot with how the bike is running are different with this one and are throwing me off and causing me to second guessing myself

Where should I start next?
b844fed65bd2f1bf7813365b31a875de.jpg

37a2b749fc2a0953d3fcf7c9bdb312ff.jpg

f0eb8c7aafd817ff0c0b276e6d058d7c.jpg
34429afbb63bfef6cab446690ea95a23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Just as a cap up to this post after buying a timing gun and checking timing and resetting I determined timing was in order. I then changed the needle height to second from the top to get a satisfactory color on my plugs. During all the plug chops I noticed the popping is coming from only my 2/3 pipe. Indicating I've probably got and air leak at the exhaust mount. Am wary of over tightening so will ride it for now like this.

Next up is a charging issue I've noticed. Bike when at speed is not returning current to the system system is charging at idle. Measures between 6.7-13.7 at idle (not a steady #, changes with the rhythm of idle). But when at about 4K rpm or above, voltage never goes above 6.5 . Had a stall during the chop testing and had to turn off the headlight (at night) to get her home and find the battery was dead. Oh the joy of bike testing/building!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom