Two Stroke Cylinder Boring

johnu

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Ok peeps it's been a while but I'm finally getting back to working on the T500. I never did get it running properly so I am going to go through the engine again. I am going to rebore it while I'm at it as I never did get it done when I rebuilt it. I have the new pistons so I might as well do it. Big question is where to get it bored. There are no shops local to me here in SoCal that I know of so I am looking at Millenium to do it for me. However it is $165 per cylinder :eek: Seems a bit steep to me but is that the going rate? If any of you have other suggestions I'm listening ;D

Attachments

• Finish 7 small.jpg
    Finish 7 small.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 221
Look for an auto engine machine shop or ship them to SCR Scott Clough or Chuck Quenzler in Clearwater FL. There's a bike shop in WI I use now that has a focus on old bikes.

Anywhere that does work for Banshees, should be suitable. Go out to Glamis and hang out. Someone has to have a recommendation.

I've used Millenium in the past for my quad motor, TRX250R. It was roughly $150, so the price they quoted seems on par with what they charge. No complaints about their service either.

jimmer said:
Can't help you on the Ca. bore job, but I need to know more about your T500. Link?
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.msg209437#msg209437
It's a long read ;D

I would use Millennium in a heart beat to replate TZ cylinders but that seems a bit high for a simple bore and hone.

Been using mototechusa in Mansfield Ohio. Bore, sunnin hone and port chamfer for $35 a hole. You could afford to ship them there for that price. I've used him personally several times and was always pleased with his work

U.S. Chrome in Wisco does a nice job for my big bore triple snowmobile engines as well. Gotta pay to play, especially with NiCaSiL

hurco550 said:
Been using mototechusa in Mansfield Ohio. Bore, sunnin hone and port chamfer for $35 a hole. You could afford to ship them there for that price. I've used him personally several times and was always pleased with his work
I will contact them, thanks!

Ok Hurco thanks!
I just got a quote from US Chrome too and it is $75 per cylinder which I thought was pretty fair!

Bore tech does a lot of vintage racing stuff. They are also $75 per hole. As soon as I receive my pistons I am sending them mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

jimmer said:
johnu, thanks for the exhausting link! Very sharp bike! How well does it snort?
Working on that right now. Had a ton of problems with carburation, actually I think I have some sort of air leak. I have ridden it though and she's definitely a snorter! Supposed to have about 55hp according to the guy that did the porting.

teazer said:
I would use Millennium in a heart beat to replate TZ cylinders but that seems a bit high for a simple bore and hone.

I agree, bet the price is up there to prevent people having cylinders bored or they ship them somewhere else to have done??
Should be able to get both of them done for that price.
Two strokes are a little different compared to a fourstroke, the ports rarely cause an issue boring but honing needs some special equipment on larger bore sizes with large ports so the stones don't twist or get caught and break something even more expensive. Even so, I think I would want them gold plated if I was paying $330.00 for a pair to nbe bored Probably plus tax and shipping on top?)

crazypj said:
I agree, bet the price is up there to prevent people having cylinders bored or they ship them somewhere else to have done??
Should be able to get both of them done for that price.
Two strokes are a little different compared to a fourstroke, the ports rarely cause an issue boring but honing needs some special equipment on larger bore sizes with large ports so the stones don't twist or get caught and break something even more expensive. Even so, I think I would want them gold plated if I was paying $330.00 for a pair to nbe bored Probably plus tax and shipping on top?)
I own a 1973 Titan T500. Had the engine completely rebuilt. There's a great shop in Quebec Canada or you can try a place in the U.S by the name of Miller if my memory serves me right. Had the cylinders honed and slightly bored. Used only Suzuki NOS parts. Replaced the pistons, rings etc as well as replaced all three crank seals. Crank was machined and balanced. It wasn't cheap between the machine work and the replacement parts but by that point I was committed..lol...in the end, totally worth the trouble. Rebuilt the carbs. Replaced the oil injection cable. Dialed in the carbs. Bike runs better than new--blast to ride! Hope this helps--there aren't many of these left! Here's a before and after of mine below. Good luck!!
0e533aa9a3799b7d8d15105c4ca02f2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

contact craig at http://www.kickstart-garage.com/ and ask him where to get it done

Back
Top Bottom