Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

So guys just made a crank plastigauge measurement...
Am I completely out of whack here? :-(

The two outer measurements were around .050 and the two inner ones around .063....

08778c312d775bd1fa17b60b19db80b2.jpg
9d090d031f188e44ab37d64c764837ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using DO THE TON mobile app
25b42f41e3cccb739637a13f5974f2fd.jpg

Do you guys think also that I will need to remove the selector cams?

Yes, take everything out. I was like you and very nervous about tearing the transmission down. Especially as the casings were going to be away for a few weeks being blasted. But I kept the major assemblies bagged together, and it all went back together logically without any issues.
Hydroblasting was developed to clean up the turbine blades on jet engines. It does not actually remove any metal in the right hands, but it does create a smooth "crust" on the castings with a satin finish. Once done, it does not need any other treatment. Have a read of the following website and then decide what you do.

[/http://www.woodyshydroblast.com/u...r nearby, but I cannot find any on Google!!!!

Regarding getting the transmission in and out: That's fairly easy and if you need help, you know who to ask.

And with regards to Plastigauge, we haven't read the instructions, have we? ;) Plastigauge is used on DRY bearing surfaces, you're measuring such close tolerances, that the oil will affect the outcome of the measurement. And yes, I told you: Your crank is on the upper end of the spec (or slightly beyond) and the cases most likely as well. Use some thicker oil would be my professional advice or go all in, have it reground and then spec the bearing shells correctly. (But to be fair, I'd personally go with slightly bigger tolerances...)

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

der_nanno said:
Regarding getting the transmission in and out: That's fairly easy and if you need help, you know who to ask.

And with regards to Plastigauge, we haven't read the instructions, have we? ;) Plastigauge is used on DRY bearing surfaces, you're measuring such close tolerances, that the oil will affect the outcome of the measurement. And yes, I told you: Your crank is on the upper end of the spec (or slightly beyond) and the cases most likely as well. Use some thicker oil would be my professional advice or go all in, have it reground and then spec the bearing shells correctly. (But to be fair, I'd personally go with slightly bigger tolerances...)
If that was done with oiled bearing surfaces, i would not be surprised if the clearance will be even bigger when measured dry.. i would not put it back together like that. Maybe measure ovality on crank and rods, and go to one or two sizes thicker bearings if all is round. I have a bunch of main bearings but no rod bearings lying around, mine all checked out around .03-.04 which will give a lot longer service life of the engine.

Hey guys!

Had a good weekend with a bit of progress, need to be a bit careful again, my foot still hurts (had a climbing accident while back).

I think I made a decision. I will put my Cafe Racer project on the back burner and will use the parts, gaskets and eveything else to "Hot Rod" and work on my running stock XS 750...it just makes more sense to invest time energy and money in my running XS.
My plan is to ride the XS from Barcelona to Biarritz to next years Wheels and Waves and this is only doable if I go down the route I just talked about.
Just too many unsure things with the Cafe Racer.

I will extract the motor this winter and do a top-end service and prolly replace the head with the later model one.

I have a question for you guy:

Will this XS750 Tank fit my 1T5 frame,I´m kinda in love with the round shape...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 282
  • s-2.jpg
    s-2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 279
Yuuuuup, will fit. But I recall it's a bit shorter than stock, if this is the XS750SE tank.

Btw.: I have carbs for you, if you're feeling... manly. 8)

Will this XS750 Tank fit my 1T5 frame,I´m kinda in love with the round shape...

Ryan, my XS896 went the other way. I was putting a standard tank on a special frame. It did not just bolt on. The spacing for the front rubber mounts was too wide ( the mounting studs were longer) and interfered with the tank. It was easy for me to fix with a hacksaw, but for you going the other way may mean you have to add spacers.
As Nanno said then the length from the front mounts to the rear bolt is longer on the special tank, you will need to cut out the back mount and relocate it. You can do it, just needs work.

XS750AU said:
Ryan, my XS896 went the other way. I was putting a standard tank on a special frame. It did not just bolt on. The spacing for the front rubber mounts was too wide ( the mounting studs were longer) and interfered with the tank. It was easy for me to fix with a hacksaw, but for you going the other way may mean you have to add spacers.
As Nanno said then the length from the front mounts to the rear bolt is longer on the special tank, you will need to cut out the back mount and relocate it. You can do it, just needs work.

Fiddling with the mounts is no problem but my concern was the tank tunnel which is strangely wide on the XS 750 tanks....

thanks!

Whats the original tank look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So its been a loooooooooooooong time, the Walrus was ridden all summer long trough Austria and Europe,I had great trips to Budapest and Graz with the bike.
Still amazed at the smooth performance of the bikes especially on the Autobahn.
200kmh no problem with nice and zippy accelleration and very stable stance.
The bike will get soon hibernated and get a service in my basement workshop which will be hopefully soon finished.

Things that need to get fixed:

-light sound from the camchain -->the spring of the camchaintensioner seems to be worn
-new primary chain (the current one is already way too long)
-new tires
-front wheel bearing make a terrible screeching sound -->replace
-rear brake master cylinder needs overhaul
-top end needs a new base gasket--> I will check the pistons and cylinders and lap the valves in this process
-mounting of a small "bikini fairing"
09a60c07121d1302024fbcd54d8d6691.jpg
e1f2551197e95a6dcfc0538d0e4e14c3.jpg
0e87e47cda8932ba9fc5ef0b7524d73e.jpg
f7d5a36b14bf47554914b23b1f5dc369.jpg

Nice looking machine. From the list you have compiled, it seems that it deserves a winters rest and repairs. It was obviously the better choice for your touring than a cafe build.

pidjones said:
Nice looking machine. From the list you have compiled, it seems that it deserves a winters rest and repairs. It was obviously the better choice for your touring than a cafe build.
I have a second XS 750 frame with a spare engine that will get a Cafe treatment with performance upgrades 896cc Jada Jada.
But I guess calling the XS 750 a good Cafe base is like calling a walrus a slim and sexy animal :).

I currently building my workshop in basement of our metal workshop with the basic tools I have, scrap metal and scrap wood.
264d4996f316a70c947da51b7289d947.jpg
b25440fa22022637532c9b50c6b02163.jpg

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

Every time you post a pic of your work spaces, I find more reasons to love it. One downside to being in such a young country, and in the south where Sherman's army burned everything to the ground, there isn't a lot of old architecture. Add that to the tendency of Americans to knock buildings down and replace them with new "modern" ones.

I am sure that there are other walrus that consider it quite sexy. All depends on perspective.

XS750AU said:
You must have been on tacho red line?
Not bad for a 40 year old bike.
Cheers
Tim

Yep, just for a short stretch and on the red line and with a bit of luck.180kmh easy.
Problem was just that the front end started to wobble like crazy.
Old tires and a not yet fixed windshield.

irk miller said:
Every time you post a pic of your work spaces, I find more reasons to love it. One downside to being in such a young country, and in the south where Sherman's army burned everything to the ground, there isn't a lot of old architecture. Add that to the tendency of Americans to knock buildings down and replace them with new "modern" ones.

The workspace I work in was build in the "Biedermeier" period (1815-1848).The street in which the building stands was built for craftsman back in that day.In this area chandeliers were built,sandcasted brass bodies and crystals were grinded.
In the basement I´m working in the future coals were shoveled into blast furnaces to forge nails.
Beautiful on the outside but slowly falling apart and trickling :D :D :D

It took me months of work to remove the old moldy plaster on the walls but now its coming along nicely...a real man cave ;D

pidjones said:
I am sure that there are other walrus that consider it quite sexy. All depends on perspective.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
Once I experienced the XS 750 on the straight line of the autobahn acceleration tracks on full song....oh man the sound....I was hooked.
I got this thing mega cheap and cannot believe it to this day.

Back
Top Bottom