1979 GS550L project "What the L am I doing"

lucky13

Well I have been creeping around on the site for a few months now. I just picked up my first project bike late last fall. It is a 1979 GS550L. I bought it for $200 not knowing if it ran or not. It had good compression, so I snatched it up. When I got it home I had no plans on what direction to go with the bike. At first I was going to just going to get it up and running and just use it as a commuter to work and school. Then I stumbled across DTT and that changed my plans. It is now a full on build. I am planning on doing a modern version of a café racer.

So far it has rearsets off a 2001 GSXR 1000, a Ducati Monster tail light with built in turn signals, diamond cut headlight with built in LED turn signals, I hand fabricated a seat and tail section that is hinged to the frame, the tank is going to have an aircraft style filler out of a 1998 Katana, the rear of the bike was raised 1” and front lowered 1”, 4 into 1 exhaust, all new wiring harness, and clamp on bars, the front fender is cut down and I am planning on making a small rear fender that attaches to the swing arm.

It has come a long way in a short amount of time, and I hope to have her on the road in the next few months. I am going to powder the frame blue, Powder the wheels white, and paint the tins white with a matching blue stripe down the center of the bike. I plan on having the fenders hydro-dipped for a carbon fiber look. A few small trim parts here and there will also be carbon fiber.

Below is what I started with, and where she sits now. More photos to come as I make more progress. I value any opinions and suggestions guys!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 531
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 529
  • photo23.JPG
    photo23.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 254
  • photo22.JPG
    photo22.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 243
Thank you for getting rid of the hard link between the frame and the swinger! Bike is looking good man keep it up, more and more Zooks are popping up all over the site.

Back
Top Bottom