Just say no to d-rings

I only ever leave my helmet on bike if I'm within arms reach of it. Carrying it around is a PITA but lot cheaper than buying a new one ;)

I would not sacrifice the stitching of d-rings just for ease of use, any day or anytime. I have a nasty scar under my chin from the strap BUT the d-rings did their job, keeping the skid lid on during a slide.

I love how you guys are afraid of replacing 4 feet of polyester thread with 4 feet of polyester thread. It's like saying taking a bolt off a bike and putting it back in is unsafe.

So you all ride stock motorcycles? lol

I hear ya man, but lets think this one through... you wreck, get hurt but recover and insurance pays the bills to the tune of a house... then finds out you "modified" your helmet... you screwed up your back but the helmet "could" have caused a distraction err sumthin... now your house belongs to State Farm.

The thing is cool, for some and some feel it's no good to fuck with gear... safety gear. Just buy the helmet that has it as an option... I prefer SHOEI and it's not available... yet :eek: I did search it and this (no shit) was a reply from a forum "Just do a search for "helmet quick release". Less than $10" :-\

I'm pretty sure that if I wreck with enough force to rip 4 feet of polyester wrapped in two sections (8 feet) tightly wound in .5mm loops, that I will not have to worry about anything any more. I'm fairly certain my head wouldn't be attached anymore or a basal skull fracture would be in order.

I think the point Tune a Fish is trying to make is if you do survive a crash but are found to have modified your helmet then your insurance could be voided.

Insurance companies have no soul - they will find whatever reason they can to not pay out a claim. They call it "business"....

Yep, not questioning if you can sew well enough, you probably can, but will insurance screw you because you did it and they find out. 100% yes, will they know you did it, probably not because paramedics cut the chin straps off most of the time to remove the helmets. It all depends on your insurer etc.

That is very true. No butthurt intended ::)

This: E-Ject device has made it's way onto the MX scene for sure that I know of and the AMA I believe has mandated it... Asterisk is the trackside EMT provider at Nationals and are well aware to look for the valve, SHOEI has a release that removes the cheek pads to even further release the helmet without pulling on the spinal cord or cutting blood flow... I would be in favor of this mod for sure... too many under 20 kids get rockets as gifts and never rode a dirtbike growing up :eek:

https://stilo-usa.com/docs/Shock_Doctor_Eject_Helmet_Removal_System.pdf

Attachments

• E-ject.JPG
    E-ject.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 583
cosworth said:
I love how you guys are afraid of replacing 4 feet of polyester thread with 4 feet of polyester thread. It's like saying taking a bolt off a bike and putting it back in is unsafe.

So you all ride stock motorcycles? lol
So 4 ft costs around $10. Go ahead and put a $10 lid on a $10 head. Not for me.

It's already there. There is about 4 feet of polyester thread holding your d-ring on right now. This is the crux of my argument.

Your helmet is held on with 4 feet of grandma's thread. FROM THE FACTORY.

I'm just removing it, replacing a part, and replacing the thread. Just like taking a bolt off. And putting it back on.

edit: 4 feet of thread costs about $0.30

Another question - does the clasp grab onto the existing helmet strap or does it grab the notches in the other part of the clasp?

You just feed the strap through the new clasp. You only modify one side. If anything you might cut the other side a bit short and melt it so it won't fray.

So yes, you only sew one side. And by sew I mean remove the old thread and then replace the thread you removed.

The clip is behind jawbone?
In an accident, you would be pretty amazed at the stresses and how things move around.
To say it 'doesn't fly' is just pretending you made a good choice.
To me it looks like laziness and stupidity.
But, some people only learn from their own mistakes

Back
Top Bottom