VINDICATOR - 60's style Cafe Racer TR1

Re: TR1 /XV Traditional Cafe Racer

Nice work, I'm following this build becase I'm embarking on a '82 XV920 project myself. I would greatly appreciate specifics about swapping a wire spoked front wheel for that cast swirl lump.

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid we hit a bit of a wall in the past 3 weeks - we've committed ourselves to getting the Reverse Trike [ BMW 1100cc Oilhead ] to the Stafford Motorcycle show in October - as well as the TR1 !

We had to put some serious R&D into the Trike as we found out it wasn't as simple as taking one of our race car front clips and adding a single wheel at the back - OH NOoooooo.

Anyway - hopefully back on track as I need to get some work under way while I'm away on a small vacation at the end of the month.

The Hubs are now ready for wheel building - XS500 rear and Grimeca 4LS front. I'm leaving the twin disc [ XS500 ] build until I return from hols.

As soon as I have the specifics with the wheel spindles [axles ] and spacers, I'll post it up.

Essentially, it's no big deal - the rear spindle [ TR1 / XV920 ] can be used as is - just changing the spacers.

The Grimeca 4LS front dropped straight in with the spindle that came with the hub - unbelievable ! Again, with twin disc [ XS500 / 650 hub and TR1 discs ] it's very straightforward. When the prototyping is completed I'll have new Stainless Steel spindles and spacers made - at that point I can be specific about the size / position of the spacers.
I've also extended the axle location slot in the swingarm forward by 2" to shorten the wheelbase / sharpen up the steering.

I HOPE to have the tank completed before I go, as I can't design the side panels until that's finished.

When I get back the 2 into 1 Vincent style exhaust is next on the list.

Not really exciting, but I'm posting this to give ME some encouragement!

Hubs have now gone off to the wheel builder and hopefully will be completed by the time I get back from my break.

Picture189.jpg

There's been a few watchers on this build - and I'm sure there's some diverse opinions out there.

When I get back from my break - I'll be pulling MY bike down - as WELL as finishing the TR1 for the Stafford Show in October [ OMG ].

Certain things are cast in stone - but here's one for anyone who is interested.

I'm looking for a definitive 60's colour scheme and keep coming back to Red paint /Chrome / Polished alloy. Anyone talk me out of that ?

There will be a 3rd. bike - so, ideas my cousins.

BRG?, Silver?, Maroon [ AJS ]?,

TR1tadworth2.jpg

Yes - a real classic colour scheme - but my pal has already picked that colourway for HIS TR1. Classic Black with Gold pinstriping to the tank and side panels. Gloss Black engine [ a la Vincent ] with polished alloy highlights.

I have a thing for the Red / polished alloy / Chrome - 2 of my all time favourite bikes were done like that - my Mk3 Tribsa Race Bike and my Cafe Racered Guzzi Le Mans.

I got a quote today for classic waterslide transfers to be originated - Vincent style scroll with VINDICATOR instead of Vincent !

I have to have a minimum of 25 bike sets [ 100 transfers ], but it's a crazy [ cheap ] price something like $70 the lot ! And that's for 2 different sizes. They'll be classic Vincent Gold scrolls - so that will go with the Black and the Red !

Hey Pat - and others playing with TR1s / XV920's ...........anyone used alternate carbs?

I want to use Amal Mk2 Concentrics, mainly because they're readilly available and inexpensive. The guys at Amal are also very helpful and happy to develop a kit for the TR1 along with us.

Just looking for a base setting so that we can get a jump on making a kit up.

ohhhhhhh. that's cool...........

Nice "Red" too.

yea I think YOU talked me into it - Red / Chrome / Polished alloy / black frame ..............................................

Thanx for the headsup on the colour code Rev..

It really has got to be a real FO Red.

I sprayed my Guzzi LeMans Cafe Racer with Smooth Hammerite paint, which had the look of ye olde enamel laquer when buffed. It was a real solid Red.

I have a painter pal who has access to paint chips and can get paint made to any International formula. I'll certainly be checking 62U. Cheers mate.

Foto-7TSBEEMN-G.jpg

Foto-LW3G8QW4-G.jpg

just wanted to let you guys know that I really like the pictures off your builds and show mine!

enjoy the builds and when I build the next one I hope to have the budget for a usd fork swap(what about the back wheel then?)

thanx again Rev ...........Red it is then. ;)

Wynand - nice job, it's good to see variations on a theme. Got to be 60's style for me, but I appreciate anything that is well done!

Just a thought re: the rear wheel. Don't know if it will work, but I'm thinking aloud here ..........

BMW have a nice selection of wheels for their shaft drive models - Kay series [ 100 /1100 / 1200] and also some of the Oilhead Boxers - even wire spoked wheels ! They are very similar to a lot of Japanese Rice Rockets, so would stand a chance of being a good match for whatever you put in your USD's. Here's a mock up of my [ now ] nearly finished BMW Streetfighter. I have fitted K1200S [ 6" ] rear wheel and I'm waiting for a new front axle [ spindle ] to fit the matching front to the later k1100 forks + 4 pot Brembos. Pretty Japanese looking eh ??

Just back from a chill break in Saxony - plenty of time to think about what I need to do [ pretty quickly ! ] to try to get my TR1 back on schedule.

SONAVON012.jpg

Hi Guys,
I'm posting this in order to give myself a severe kick up the ass.
Progress slowed to a stop whilst other things had to be attended to.
We have a deadline for the Stafford Classic show in mid-October for the reverse Y Trik, now officially named RAM Scorpio R/T.

I'm busy collecting all the other parts I need for our two TR1 projects and the plan is to get stuck in immediately after the show.
I'm modding a spare frame - decluttering tabs and brackets, welding the top and bottom [ rear ] together, lopping off the centre stand framework. I'll get it powder coated ready for the Winter build.

In the meantime - sold the Purple XV920 and bought this little sucker with the proceeds !

KGrHqNh0E5dWLmqgBOY84uQhWQ60_12.jpg

just keep on building them! i`m really curious about your builds and still want to thank you for replying last time about the BMW wheels, i had forgotten it and will pick up the search for how to fit them in.

what about this grey one? :) is it technically in order? how about the starter and starterclutch?

nice machines hey? I`m `busy`whit a gsx750es now, got myself a hayabusa fork and wheels and backfork(? in english?)

enjoy the builds!

Hey Wynand,

yep the rear fork is a "swingarm" in the UK.

Both the Grey bikes are 1983 models with the updated seat arrangement. Both are in excellent running condition, but the latest one has a weak starter clutch arrangement which will require attention - sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't! Both bikes have less than 30K miles on them. The first grey one I bought has an electrical problem [ relay ] ALSO in the starter department ! One is a short term [ I hope ] build for next Spring / Summer - while the other one will be more long term - dependant on getting funding together !
I have a pile of spares from a 4th bike that I intend to use to get things moving quicker - frame, engine ........

I want to use Amal Mk2 Concentric carbs on the top dog bike, along with 4LS Grimeca front brake.

After the show late October, I hope to have some real progress to report along with some updated pix.

what is the advantage of using the Amal Mk2 Concentric carbs ?
more power? or finer tuning?

Yes to both !! And also cheaper here in the UK than Mikuni or alternates.

Bob Work used Amals on his BOTT racer that Dave Aldana rode in 1982. It was reputed to turn out almost 100bhp blueprinted with cams, bit of porting, 25thou head skim, and XS650 valve springs.
The Concentrics are super simple to tune and parts are readily available - even down to the last fixing screw.
The manufacturer is very sympathetic to folks developing kits for one -off applications and are quite happy to help with development and advice.
BTW - you can then naff of that stupid [ and expensive ] mixture valve !!!!!!!!!!! Amals rely on gravity feed.
My plan is to start out with 38mm carbs [ their recommendation ] and they will supply a handful of likely ball park "guesstimate" jets so we can get it right.
Once the "kit" is finalised, we can call them off as "TR1" kits or whatever with all the correct jetting from the factory.
I am still 4 -5 months away from the road testing aspect, but will get the carbs and mount them with filter pods or velocity stacks [ or both ] over the Winter.

BTW - I'm part way through testing the RAM alloy bodied fully adjustable shocker we previously used on my BMW K1100 projects - looking good. Check 'em out [ BMW ] on www.realmengineering.com.

TJ,

You are great inpiration and a fountain of knowledge - thanks. I have my 920 99% and did my first run. The dual Hitatchi's are a bit cold blooded, but after warm run crisp and clean with stock jetting and needles mixture screws 3 turns out on both. These are truly great engines for any street application. I'm sold.

Jim,
thanx for the kind words.
When I was a kid back in the early 60's, I found I had a natural flair for engine blueprinting / tuning, which was later carried over into my "day job" of building and selling Sports car replicas and building Drag Cars.

So, as you did in the day - I built / tuned engines for my pals - they welded, machined and sprayed bits for my Cafe Racers in return !

I became a passable sprayer over the years, but have always had a love for engines - and how to improve them.

Now I have time on my hands, I'm coming back full circle and once more digging into the innards of engines!

I only had to take one look at the TR1 to know I would enjoy working on it.

I'm currently looking at alternate readily available pistons, getting cams ground, etc.,etc.

Amal carbs are my era - I grew up with TT's, GP's Monoblocs and I'm quite confident I can make the Mk2's into a nice replacement kit.
I'm still learning my way around the TR1 / XV920 - but unlike modern Rice Rockets - it's virtually stone age engineering - something I can understand ! ;)

I've got some down time on the TR1 - the new project Scorpio reverse trike has to be finished and at the show in THREE WEEK'S Time !

So, I've had time to think about colourways / engine paint and so on for the TR1. As usual good input from you guys [ Engine Inspiration Thread ].

So here it is - forgive my selfish posting, but to see it in print gives me the kick up the ass I need.

Main colour for Tank /Seat /side panels / fr. m/guard, fork bottoms, yokes [ triple trees ], swingarm, Instrument housings, headlamp brackets [ OEM ], rear set mounts, disc centres will be FO Red - Has to be the right Red - and I've got a headsup on that thanx guys. Gold coachlining to tank and side panels in the Norton style.

Engine will be Satin Black with filed / polished fins and polished side covers, cam covers and tappet covers.

Hubs will be highly polished with alloy rims / stainless spokes.

A few bits will be Gold passivated to give me that little bit of the 60's look - chain sprockets, wheel and swingarm spindles and brake and gearlink rods.

That sounds like a good colour combo Beach! can;t wait to see it in paint!

Cheers,

Maritime.

Maritime said:
That sounds like a good colour combo Beach! can;t wait to see it in paint!Maritime.

Neither can I Maritime - it's been way tooooooo long since I got a bike to the finishing post exactly as I want it!

However, thanx to this forum and some good 'ole English mates - I finally decided on the colourways.

Now you've heard the old "It came to me in a dream" .....well this one did! I was in and out of sleep the other night and I virtually assembled the painted / detailed bike in my sleep / semi-consciousness. As soon as I woke up I rushed down to the office and wrote / sketched the colours while it was syill fresh.
If I wasn't calling the bike "The Vindicator" - I'd have to call it "Dream Machine".

Just got to finalise the FO Red - thanx to this forum I have a specific colour mix to try out "Sting Red 62U" - cheers Rev

Back
Top Bottom