RD350 YPVS 1983 Cafe

Re: RD350 YPVS 1983 Daily driver cafe project.

Random progress and mock up, not long before i can start getting it stripped and painted
08g3iPF.jpg
ngXof9Q.jpg

OjUIX2i.jpg

W2yhAtd.jpg

1Sh3QGT.jpg

you sure are a master in progress on your bikes mister ;)

Floegstad said:
you sure are a master in progress on your bikes mister ;)
yea i got to have them ready for summer lol

This one shouldnt take so long because its mostly just taking it apart, paint/replace/repair/adjust some parts and then put it back together:) i wanted to modify and use the xs500 tank and make a fiberglass rearend, but as you can see, its basicly just a shell of paint with rust inside:p

Since i stole the passenger footpegs for my SR, i made the rear end a little shorter and that helped on the tank/seat connection, looks a little bit better now. Also changing handlebars to some stock ones, just to change it up a bit. I dont know about the headlight yet. New bolts here and there and some paint. The airbox is back on the bike, with a pod filter and an aluminium top cover since i didnt have a stock filter unit:)

I dare not think about the engine rebuild now, i think the pricetag on a new crank seems insane, not to mention a possible rebore/pistons etc. :/

IuYW734.jpg

YMJD21M.jpg

(New seat support crossbar made from stock frame part, and the crude cardboard template is for my new inner fender in aluminium. Relocating fusebox under the tank.

I have some 01 aprilia rs 125 or 250 forks around if u care for black usd`s? ;)

Floegstad said:
I have some 01 aprilia rs 125 or 250 forks around if u care for black usd`s? ;)
I think it would look awesome:) how much are you asking and is it a complete front end or just the legs?

Yamaki said:
I think it would look awesome:) how much are you asking and is it a complete front end or just the legs?
I think i have the whole frontend with clipons and wheels,brakes.
I will take a look to night and give u a feedback on it!

Floegstad said:
I think i have the whole frontend with clipons and wheels,brakes.
I will take a look to night and give u a feedback on it!
niiice:)

I wanted to open up the subframe a little so relocated the oiltank under the seathump. Made the oil container from a battery acid bottle, a plumbing fitting, and a tube from an xs650 carb boot. Stripped the frame after doing the last mockup, tomorrow i'll detab and weld in the new support and oil tank brackets. I know im in trouble if my setup ruptures, its right above the rear tire. Then again, if the stock one broke it would still hit the tire. And it seems rock solid and it holds liquid, no leaks:)
iK2f3ed.jpg

XK2DrE6.jpg

pKpaotc.jpg

hQ5rJ5G.jpg

And the spring, the measurements are not the same as yours, mine is 12mm axle top, 14mm bottom, 290mm from clevis to clevis. 39mm wide top, 30mm bottom. Maybe i can modify it to fit? It would look good with a more agressive stance tbh. Looking forward to seeing the forks:)

I have 20" of snow and ice in front of the door and my son till saturday noon.
Here os a pic of the exact same forks, i believe the upper legs are 40 or 41mm.
The forks are the same from 99-05 unfortenately non adjustable.
The road aprilias weight is 139kg with all fluids.

Attachments

• aprilia 125 forks.JPG
    aprilia 125 forks.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 745

Your bikes weight in stock are incl fluids??
About 165-170 kg??

Floegstad said:
Your bikes weight in stock are incl fluids??
About 165-170 kg??
yes, 170kg stock wet. The rs125 is rated 142 dry.
Hmm i wonder how much the RD weighs after the rebuild, a lot of things taken of etc. Im guessing between 150 and 160 with fuel and oil. You think it will be ok?

Yamaki said:
yes, 170kg stock wet. The rs125 is rated 142 dry.
Hmm i wonder how much the RD weighs after the rebuild, a lot of things taken of etc. Im guessing between 150 and 160 with fuel and oil. You think it will be ok?
I guess it would be ok since the road rs are capable of passengers as well and yours is a solo ride!

Floegstad said:
I guess it would be ok since the road rs are capable of passengers as well and yours is a solo ride!

Thats true, well i cant afford the forks anytime soon so i adjusted the stock headlight and went back to clip ons. The old showa forks also look the part, i dont want to lose that "old bike" feel, but the USD forks are probably lighter and better... what a dilemma hehe
And i got the frame painted, nice to see that faded red go lol. Carbs are clean and ready to go. Also finished up the oil tank and bracket/inner fenders.

XUDBaCS.jpg

YrpUzsk.jpg

jEKu3hD.jpg

sLmr5DU.jpg

Man I like your motorcycle keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words, im happy with the results so far as well:)

Yamaki said:
Thats true, well i cant afford the forks anytime soon so i adjusted the stock headlight and went back to clip ons. The old showa forks also look the part, i dont want to lose that "old bike" feel, but the USD forks are probably lighter and better... what a dilemma hehe
And i got the frame painted, nice to see that faded red go lol. Carbs are clean and ready to go. Also finished up the oil tank and bracket/inner fenders.

XUDBaCS.jpg

YrpUzsk.jpg

jEKu3hD.jpg

sLmr5DU.jpg
Really like the way you do this sweet lc,never really been a fan of the stock ones,but i guess i will be of thisone during winter.
I`ll have the part around till you finding out if you want/need them.
Will try to remove a ton of snow sunday/monday.

Floegstad said:
Really like the way you do this sweet lc,never really been a fan of the stock ones,but i guess i will be of thisone during winter.
I`ll have the part around till you finding out if you want/need them.
Will try to remove a ton of snow sunday/monday.
i think i just got used to the look and i never seem to find any forks here in denmark i can use:/ you can pm me with your price and then i can see if i can sell my body to raise the money lol

Imo it would look cool with the usd forks and the stock rim, the axle is 13mm so i have to figure that one out as well before anything:)
Tonight after work i will start sanding the tank and clean some more parts. Worst part of any project i think, especially because one of my headers had leaked some oily gas mixture all over the front of the engine.

The pistons and barrels look good from what i can see, still visible honing marks and no scratches, the ypvs valve assembly might need a little work though, the right one is a few millimeters off. Damn i wish i had some nice porting tools (and skills lol) i could see the cast errors in the transfer channels. Its not broken so now idk if i should take the top end off, have the squish set for 0,9mm and check the crank for excessive play. The paint would be so much easier to tke off if i had the barrels on their own. Oh well still salty roads so plenty of time to decide:)

Got a little done on the RD, new lighter and stiffer fork brace with aluminium fender. I might as well finish the front end even though im kinda leaning towards that usd Fork now.
SFmbxjb.jpg

BZ2LyYV.jpg
(one bolt is upside down in the photo)

And i cut some of the rearsets/exhaust hangers off, still need to cut some more and finish it. Hope its strong enough for the exhaust after i cut out the middle part
Bwj0N9w.jpg

What type of paint are u using here,the same as for your sr?
Nice work as allways!

Back
Top Bottom