RD350 YPVS 1983 Cafe

Re: RD350 YPVS 1983 Daily driver cafe project.

Floegstad said:
What type of paint are u using here,the same as for your sr?
Nice work as allways!
yes it's just a cheap hammerite anthrazite color spray but for the money, the result is good. I like the homemade look hehe

The hammerite,or atleast some of them have silicone in it and can be tricky to paint over with other products with a proper result.

Floegstad said:
The hammerite,or atleast some of them have silicone in it and can be tricky to paint over with other products with a proper result.
thats good information, thanks. I havent tried to paint over this one yet.

Lost some more weight on the rearsets today, shaved the top clamp too. (Note to self: I need a mill) i didnt have patience for a proper smooth result, so im redoing that some day. Tomorrow i will paint the front rim which will mean i get to finish the front end:) cant wait to see it once i paint the tank and seat cowl. I also made a back plate for my modifed headlight bucket.
Sorry for the lousy pics today, its been a hectic day so didnt get any decent ones lol
N0ohHrD.jpg

a9fesr5.jpg

Washing, grinding, sanding and painting parts is getting a little boring now but i can see the end of it now, about halfway there.
Front end is almost done, still need to paint the headlightbucket. Also need to paint and clear the tank and rear. Its going to be white just because i like it:)
mBZaM41.jpg

Front rim is metallic black, kinda hard to see in the poor lighting.
CvdRPOx.jpg

Some minor spots on the rim lip but i can fix that with a brush. In about a week or two i'll be done with the chassis so i can begin on the engine.

Any graphics on the white base?

Floegstad said:
Any graphics on the white base?
made my temporary seat.
I2sLQrH.jpg

Well i was thinking maybe some sharpie art for fun, but the longer i look at the plain white, the less i want it actually.
Also the tank turned into a yellowish bone white after i cleared it so i have to redo that no matter what. Maybe a vintage style racing number on the rear? Any suggestions are welcome:)
DNU5GKx.jpg

Cleaned up the room a little, was starting to get really crowded with parts and tools laying around, i think i need to step back from this bike for a couple of days(if i can lol)
Qv1c6wx.jpg

Yea i wasnt supposed to work on either bike today, but my friend lured me into wrenching ;D
Took apart the front brakes for cleaning, and mounted the temperature gauge in the center line, deleting the ignition switch in the process.
In this picture you can really see all the flaws on the top yoke, but as i said, i will fix it when it bothers me enough or the next time they need to come off:)
OUhFTj6.jpg

You have good friends then ;)
Maybe you might find some interesting for your bikes at this site www.thevintagespoke.com if you haven`t allready paid them a visit..

Floegstad said:
You have good friends then ;)
Maybe you might find some interesting for your bikes at this site www.thevintagespoke.com if you haven`t allready paid them a visit..

Nice stuff they have there :)

I got some more done on the bike, painted the rear wheel, and did the wiring.
Finished one front brake caliper, doing the other one tomorrow, along with the rear brake. Also managed to chip my front wheel by dropping a wrench on it.

Starting to realize that winter has just begun and it's going to be another 2-2,5 months before the weather gets better and the salty roads are washed by spring rain. Time has stopped.

xqN6JxQ.jpg

LSiNhYS.jpg

(battery is just for testing, i normally run a battery eliminator)

lZ5yjxY.jpg

Ohh yea almost forgot, tried my luck with temporary seat attempt number 5 or 6 now lmao. I think i will bite the bullet and pay the upholstry guy to get something i will be happy with. Just need some aluminium plate so i can make the pan.

This one was really comfortable though. And i found out i need to raise the seat height, it gives a much better body position for me like this.
ZJnN4hI.jpg

iGreek said:
Looks real nice so far man! I like the progress.

Thanks, i'm glad you liked it.

Ok so seat attempt number 6 or 7.

I now know how to make the seat, or the principles of it anyway. Stilll a longshot from beeing satisfied with the result, but one fine day i will make my own seat that i am happy with lol. Starting to become a sort of challenge for me not to pay the upholstery guy hehe. I'm making a soft seat (no regular seat pan, just velcro on the bottom) which might make it even harder, but it started snowing really heavy so i got nothing but time for now, might as well learn this once and for all. Im going leather/vinyl (my sewing machine can handle the vinyl but most leather will require another type of needle.) shopping in the near future so i can get my hands on pieces big enough so it won't look like Frankensteins monsters face with random patches and what not.

I just finished the seat and it looks crude and homemade(in a bad way haha), will post the pic in next post.

Also thinking about putting a number on the seat just to break up all the white. Changed the headlight bucket back to black, it just looks better imo. And i fucked up the tank, so it's in "experimental" mode now, just trying all kinds of paint etc. Brakes just needs to be bled, front and rear. Deleted rear brake fluid reservoir.

Also ordered some parts from Yambits. Chain kit and some clear oil lines from pump to carbs, the main feed line will also be clear, so i can visually inspect the oil delivery at all times:)

OmdHIua.jpg

Seat process picture, mocking up the top part.
k1rngDh.jpg

Number on seat, i will have some decals made for it if i do this, i tried painting them on last time and it didn't look good.
Iuxyg2c.jpg

When the tank is done i can start on the engine:)

JustinLonghorn said:
I think the number would be a welcome addition.

Yea me too, i just need to find a place nearby that makes custom stickers, shouldn't be too hard.

Im also going to paint the bottom part of the tank matte black, maybe it will make the tank to seat connection better, it looks kinda tacked on as it is now and it has bothered me since the day i got the hump on it.
Like this.
bgCA03b.jpg

The seat. It's crooked and is still not good enough but im getting there one seat at a time, i figured if i make enough of these, they must get better at some point. Only took an hour for this one so i got the general idea now. Just need some materials now so i can make a better one, this was made by leftovers from a total of three seats.
FGgoyaO.jpg
xeCX6ld.jpg
SX7Uh5j.jpg

I think i will make a aluminium seatpan to ease the process for the next version, do it a little shorter and make it follow the tank better in the bottom, together with the black paint on the bottom part of the tank i should end up much closer to something really nice:)

Of all the attempts to custom build things the seat seems to be one of the hardest. I suspect it is just a totally different skill set from welding and polishing, but don't feel bad about your seat attempts, they are at least typical.

rundown said:
Of all the attempts to custom build things the seat seems to be one of the hardest. I suspect it is just a totally different skill set from welding and polishing, but don't feel bad about your seat attempts, they are at least typical.

In my experience that is very true, and at the same time the seat also have a lot to say for the final result/look of the bike so it's an important aspect of a build. I have seen so many seats like mine where i think to myself: "well at least you try to make it yourself like me". And that also have a great value, at least for the builder.
I feel like a seamstress these days lol

I started on another seatpan last night, and this time i will try using the fabric/leather from an old chair. I will keep making these untill i get there, im just beeing stubborn now but that often pays off ;) Besides im ahead of spring so i got a lot of time before i actually need a seat.
Got so far as to make a test version last night using normal fabric to test the cuts and shape and it looks good with no wrinkles. I document my process so when i make one that i really like, i will make a guide so that others might benefit from my work too.

Anyway, i got a good feeling about this one so lets see where it takes me.

Today i will cut and bend the pan into shape and find some foam for it:)
Here is some pics of the process so far.
SxbY9IB.jpg

tMnzxua.jpg

8zmzZDK.jpg

7lSlqHR.jpg

MVXTE1x.jpg

MO6Fb7c.jpg

DPJE2YH.jpg

Ninja edit: Seatpan is almost done.
uFzgJLR.jpg

deoQxE0.jpg

Nice progress sir!
Hope to get done some bike related stuff again within a week or two my selves.
Life is to buzzy at the time....
I`ll tune in here more often to get that nrj to progress my stuff as well!
Maybe Copenhagen are under my feet the last weekend of feb,i`ll bring the usd`s in my case if u still want it?
Cheers Jorgen!

Floegstad said:
Nice progress sir!
Hope to get done some bike related stuff again within a week or two my selves.
Life is to buzzy at the time....
I`ll tune in here more often to get that nrj to progress my stuff as well!
Maybe Copenhagen are under my feet the last weekend of feb,i`ll bring the usd`s in my case if u still want it?
Cheers Jorgen!
Thanks man:) yea i know that feeling, starting from march i wont have the same time available to wrench but i also need a little break after this one is done, i think all the cleaning and painting parts finally got to me. Just bought my first compressor yesterday so i will soon sodablast the engine. First i need to measure the squishgap on the head though, and have a better look at the ypvs valve, one of them is a little off. Still considering a minor portjob as well, cant stop thinking about all that mess in my ports. Also the left side conrod has sideplay compared to right hand side so i have to decline the usd fork, i may need to throw that money at the engine:/ lets hope for an early spring and lots of february rain, that way it will be roadready when youre here:) (yea i know that won't happen lol, fuckin winter sucks)

Edit: Went to get some fresh renthal grips (same as on my sr, love them) at Wrenchmonkees, here is some random pics from their shop. Always a nice place to visit, and i get new ideas everytime im there:)

Love this Yam Xjr1300 and it sounds epic in the flesh!
wBLLx5Y.jpg

DwQja9P.jpg

CdhxqFb.jpg

Closeup shot from a "Club black" CB750
n0vDDlj.jpg

Took off the head today and cleaned the engine a little, the sodablaster adventure was a failure with the current setup but it was useful as an air cleaner.
The head will be machined to accept an oring instead of the stock gasket which will give me a squishband of about 1,3mm. It also saves me a new headgasket everytime i need to pull it apart which is nice. Liquid gasket will seal the cooling ports. Optimum squishband would be 0,75-0,9mm according to my sources but requires additional machining at a much higher price.The bores look ok so im only doing the head mod now and the porting when i need a rebore/pistons/rings next time. The seat is on pause, got tired of looking at foam and leather.
layspRy.jpg

Changing the colour of seat and tank to a dark metallic green, still in process as the weather is so cold and i cant paint inside the house lol
wEA5dnp.jpg

Made the bracket for the licenseplate/rear fender. Looks like i wont get splashed with water this season:)
qSSwogF.jpg

Other than that im just waiting for my topend to be machined and i also got a little package today from yambits, sprocket and chain 16/39 520nz and the clear oil lines from the pump to the carbs.
G9zkKbx.jpg

Not missing a lot now 8)

Edit: Didn't like the license plate holder so i'm making a smaller and lighter one tomorrow. I will use the mounting point on the swingarm for my sharkfin.
DtkL8Wb.jpg

New license plate holder, much better than the other one that added a lot of unsprung weight.
rzsXAgC.jpg

LN5wWsy.jpg

Cleaned up the intake and cut some new gaskets for the reed valves.
Replaced steel bolts with aluminum ones.
x22dEYO.jpg

Ok so the bad news is i need new pistons/rings, plus a rebore and honing of the cylinders. The good news is i will gain a little ccm and i can change the seals for the ypvs while im in there.
Going to 65.5mm bore, haven't decided on which pistons to get, any suggestions are welcome. It's a stock 1UA cylinder.
JnqXwRL.jpg

Blow by = piston rings worn beyond specs.
Fb7EAnJ.jpg

Didnt look so bad from the top, but here you can see the vertical marks in the cylinder lining.
GFLQFUh.jpg

gyHpNVV.jpg

Cleaned up the engine case and painted it with high temp. engine paint.
8WZfKcv.jpg

Almost forgot, i also finished up the sprocket carrier/shock clutch assembly.
LTQk7ql.jpg

Tomorrow i will start to remove old flaky paint from the barrels, and clean up the ypvs valves.

Back
Top Bottom