1973 cb500 build

Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

Those bearing retainers are punched to prevent them from turning. You'll see punch marks on the perimeter. You need to drill those out a bit and then remove the retainers. Search here for 'honda bearing retainer' and you'll find more info. Common problem - I destroyed a retainer on a CB550 hub and had to pay the $20 for a new one.

Re: Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

Tim said:
Those bearing retainers are punched to prevent them from turning. You'll see punch marks on the perimeter. You need to drill those out a bit and then remove the retainers. Search here for 'honda bearing retainer' and you'll find more info. Common problem - I destroyed a retainer on a CB550 hub and had to pay the $20 for a new one.
Haha I thought that the previous owner had tried to punch them out or something. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Being someone who started with a "Look, I'm 17 and got a bike!!!" build, I'm excited to see where you go with this! It's a great learning experience, and there is such satisfaction to say "Yeah, I built a motorcycle, no big deal." I just hope you get yours done before you finish your senior year! I... didn't. Hell, it still isn't done and I'm 1100 miles away. But anyways, keep up the good work and I'll keep watching!

CALfeRacer said:
Being someone who started with a "Look, I'm 17 and got a bike!!!" build, I'm excited to see where you go with this! It's a great learning experience, and there is such satisfaction to say "Yeah, I built a motorcycle, no big deal." I just hope you get yours done before you finish your senior year! I... didn't. Hell, it still isn't done and I'm 1100 miles away. But anyways, keep up the good work and I'll keep watching!
Yeah I'm finally getting to learn what I've always wanted to. The plan is to finish before April. The frame will be done soon and as soon as the hubs are disassembled they will both be sent to powder coat. I also need to finish the seat pan and get it upholstered first so that I don't ruin the new powder trying to figure out how to mount it.

Goodfella said:
Yeah I'm finally getting to learn what I've always wanted to. The plan is to finish before April. The frame will be done soon and as soon as the hubs are disassembled they will both be sent to powder coat. I also need to finish the seat pan and get it upholstered first so that I don't ruin the new powder trying to figure out how to mount it.

It may set you back a month or so but you should really re-assemble the entire bike and ride it around the block a few times before you get the frame coated. What happens when you coat everything and realize you missed a mount or need to move something. Proper practice is to do a dry run then tear back down and get it all chromed and coated. Trust me when I say...no matter how careful you are, you will miss something and will end up ruining the powder.

And as a bonus, By then you will be a pro at assembling that bike.

Re: Re: Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

gijoe13844 said:
It may set you back a month or so but you should really re-assemble the entire bike and ride it around the block a few times before you get the frame coated. What happens when you coat everything and realize you missed a mount or need to move something. Proper practice is to do a dry run then tear back down and get it all chromed and coated. Trust me when I say...no matter how careful you are, you will miss something and will end up ruining the powder.
And as a bonus, By then you will be a pro at assembling that bike.
Honestly although I see your point and I agree that in most cases that would be the smart thing to do, I don't think I'm going to do that. I am only changing the seat, battery placement, rear fender, and license plate bracket from stock and as long as I get those all sorted out before powder I should be fine.

Re: Re: Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

Goodfella said:
Honestly although I see your point and I agree that in most cases that would be the smart thing to do, I don't think I'm going to do that. I am only changing the seat, battery placement, rear fender, and license plate bracket from stock and as long as I get those all sorted out before powder I should be fine.

Kinda figured that would be your response. Good luck...don't say no one warned you ;)

Remember you are building something you want to last. Don't rush it. Telling a 17 year old that is like telling a 17 year old not to chase girls but it needed to be said. Hope it works out for you.

I did the powder before putting it 100% back together, and it wasn't too bad. I had it all mocked up when the frame was stripped down and just spent alot of extra time double and triple checking it. However, I haven't spent much time at all riding, do I don't know how bad it could be. I do know that I'm now thinking about changing the seat, and knowing that I can't mess with the powder is definitely something that kind of limits you.
I guess what I'm saying is, I can see both sides of the argument! ;D

CALfeRacer said:
I did the powder before putting it 100% back together, and it wasn't too bad. I had it all mocked up when the frame was stripped down and just spent alot of extra time double and triple checking it. However, I haven't spent much time at all riding, do I don't know how bad it could be. I do know that I'm now thinking about changing the seat, and knowing that I can't mess with the powder is definitely something that kind of limits you.
I guess what I'm saying is, I can see both sides of the argument! ;D
The last thing I want this to be is an argument haha. I respect Gijoe's opinion but with my dad pushing me to finish this and the excitement of getting it done by spring, I think I'm just going to check everything twice and go ahead and powder it. The good thing about this project taking me a year is that I didn't know exactly what I wanted last summer and now that I've spent countless hours researching I know exactly what I want. Except the tank color

The frame as it sits
6e4ema5u.jpg

The main tabs below where the back of the tank would be bother me and I think I'm going to make custom ones. I just found out you few days ago that my girlfriends dad rebuilds two-stroke ATV's and has a whole shop in his garage. He says if I need any help or tools I can use his heated garage. He has a tig welder and a massive compressor with a sandblaster :D score

I'm also going to rebuild the master cylinder either today or tomorrow. Question, do I need to use a hone on the inside? Also what is the left hole for in the resovior? The right one drains water out but the left doesn't. It's not clogged up with old brake fluid either.

nice project,

If you don't want to bother with rebuilding the master cyclinder, I have one that was rebuilt last summer that we can make a deal on. I have receipts to prove it and nothing wrong from a 75 550 that should work. I'm just a short drive from you in beautiful Macomb Twp. Let me know if you are interested.

gheorghe said:
nice project,

If you don't want to bother with rebuilding the master cyclinder, I have one that was rebuilt last summer that we can make a deal on. I have receipts to prove it and nothing wrong from a 75 550 that should work. I'm just a short drive from you in beautiful Macomb Twp. Let me know if you are interested.
I would take you up on that but is seems simple enough. I already have the rebuild kit and the unit so I might as well just do it myself and learn something. Thanks for the offer though

Honed out the master cylinder and pushed a small piece of wire through the little pinhole that I didn't know existed an hour ago. Already had the rebuild kit so it should be put back together soon.
na4e7e2y.jpg

Making good progress there, but what pray tell is that machine screw doing where the pivot bolt should be?

teazer said:
Making good progress there, but what pray tell is that machine screw doing where the pivot bolt should be?
As far as i can tell the PO was an idiot so thats the wsy i found it. Would the screw still work?

Goodfella said:
As far as i can tell the PO was an idiot so thats the wsy i found it. Would the screw still work?

I don't think so...it's not shouldered the same.

Nice looking bike..........yea, that screw will not work, you need the shoulder bolt that spose to be there.........

ask me how I know......

Back
Top Bottom