CB77 Superhawk Build

I'll have to look later tonight. The tires on it are shitty "vintage style". I have a set of avon roadriders waiting to go on.

I like the way your front tire is really small, just wondering if it's a 2.50 or a 2.75. Most trendy people nowadays want as big a tire as you can fit. I'm wanting my front tire to be about the size of yours, with maybe a slightly smaller rear. I wanna run a little vintage style ribbed tire up front (probably vee rubber) and a Michelin Gazelle out back. It'll give my bike a vintage look, but I'm finding that's more what I'm after.

As far as the mono shock goes, I think you could get away with it, but since the bike's waist is just a tube with no other bracing, you may sacrifice handling. The rear shocks are tied in to the geometry that gives this bike stability. I do recommend a new swingarm with real bearings if you go thru with it. I have seen pictures of a guy with a leaf spring rear end on a cb77, so go nuts.

I passed on the mono shock idea. It was really a mental diversion rather than a project idea.

The front fender has the stock brace. I'm fairly certain the front tire currently on there is a 2.75. It's also flat, so that might effect its appearance in the photo.

I'm almost done with my fiberglass rear hugger.

ok, thanks for the info. I didn't know if someone had put a 2.50 on there, but a flat 2.75 explains it.

How's the hugger looking? I was looking at no rear fender, then a full rear fender without the duck bill and tail/bracket, but now I've got a generic ribbed rear fender from a hack-job 305 chopper I bought off of e-bay a few weeks ago. I've been thinking of using it. It has a flare at the rear like the black bombers had.

Back to the front fender/brace, I saw mention of the front end on these bikes being updated. I know the stock fender has a mount, but it's soft enough to bend with my hands. a more rigid brace would improve handling.

the rear hugger project is coming along great. It's super strong, just enough flex that it would give a little if somehow the tire hit it, but the only way that could happen is if the chain/axel adjusters failed.

I haven't identified exactly how i'm going to attach it to the swing arm, i've got some ideas, and it may have to be a trial and error system. I want the fender to disappear as much as possible, so that reduces how much I can brace it.

easiest way is the pocket bike style, where the fender has a flange along the front that connects in 3 points, on the edges and in the middle. look up a pocketbike rear fender image and you'll see what I mean.

That's what I'm thinking, but I'd like to have it adjustable so as I change sprockets/chains, it can slide forward/back with the wheel.

Here's where it is now, half trimmed and just hanging there.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383100369.060245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383100369.060245.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,046
Oh man, I don't miss working with fiberglass (i used to fit/repair/modify tuner car body kits) I say just slot the mounting holes. You only have as much adjustment as you have clearance from the front of the swing arm to the wheel pocket, maybe an inch or two.

Another thought. If you go with a RC93/77 style dirt shield, it would be almost invisible from the side and yet would fully block debris form reaching the motor.

Almost. I came up with one that had a slight forward bulge to get more tire clearance. That one is just flat aluminum sheet with two bends in it to get a slightly triangular tent shape.

Thanks for the tip about the RC93.

I'm going to pursue my current idea. I really want this cb77 build to be unique, so I'm trying not to use any factory race parts. I know low hanging fruit taste blah blah blah, but I like to build things.

I've got a few glass tips:

With curves as sharp as a fender, when you lay fiberglass, lay it in strips as wide as will make the curve, imagine the bands in a tire (V's comming together heavily overlapping, going toward the rear tip) You'll have the sturdiest, straitest piece you can make from the resin and glass without a vac mold. Extra resin and gel coat will fill in the ridges. make sure to use plenty of resin. The edges you trim should be atleast 1/16 inch thick and very solid, trim with some sort of saw or it'll chip (no shears). Layering resin creates weak spots. If a piece is pored all in one batch, it's the strongest. Fiberglass Resin Gel (green stuff, turns brown when mixed with hardner) is another product I think you might enjoy working with. It's like waterproof bondo that adheres better and doesn't sag as bad when applied to verticals. It basically works like people wish Bondo did, but nobody buys it because it costs more.

v30magna said:
I've got a few glass tips:

With curves as sharp as a fender, when you lay fiberglass, lay it in strips as wide as will make the curve, imagine the bands in a tire (V's comming together heavily overlapping, going toward the rear tip) You'll have the sturdiest, straitest piece you can make from the resin and glass without a vac mold. Extra resin and gel coat will fill in the ridges. make sure to use plenty of resin. The edges you trim should be atleast 1/16 inch thick and very solid, trim with some sort of saw or it'll chip (no shears). Layering resin creates weak spots. If a piece is pored all in one batch, it's the strongest. Fiberglass Resin Gel (green stuff, turns brown when mixed with hardner) is another product I think you might enjoy working with. It's like waterproof bondo that adheres better and doesn't sag as bad when applied to verticals. It basically works like people wish Bondo did, but nobody buys it because it costs more.

thanks for taking the time to write that up, but i'm fairly confident in my glass-working skills. i'm no pro, but my fender came out just about perfect, and rigid as hell.

Glad you got it. Sorry, didn't mean to be instructive. Post it up when you get it looking good.

I know this is nerdy, but I'm a nerd.

I found an uncirculated 100 yen coin from the year my honda was made. I'm going to put it on the top triple, where the factory damper knob is, after I mount the hydro damper.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384225642.915331.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384225642.915331.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 837
Back
Top Bottom